Cuisine at home Forums
Review: Southwest Sloppy Joes - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Review: Southwest Sloppy Joes (/showthread.php?tid=94561)

Review: Southwest Sloppy Joes - chef_Tab - 01-19-2010

This recipe is in the Weeknights Vol 2 cookbook and I have passed it over several times. The title has never grabbed my attention. Both of my daughters have fiercely recommended it saying that it is always a huge hit with their guests. Last night I finally made it and am so glad I did! The sloppy joe filling is made with ground turkey and a wonderful combination of veges and spices. There is a slaw to pile on top that will become my go-to slaw recipe and pairs perfectly with the somewhat spicy sloppy joe filling. I used shredded broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, and cabbage instead of the usual slaw mix. I could not find jarred mangoes and the fresh did not seem ripe, so for the suggested side, I just served orange segments in the yogurt sauce. I am fairly sure we all got our recommended daily serving of fruits and veges and in the most delicious manner. This would be a perfect super bowl menu item.

Re: Review: Southwest Sloppy Joes - farnfam - 01-19-2010

Sounds good, Theresa. I have that book, I'll go take a look. Thanks for the review

Re: Review: Southwest Sloppy Joes - cjs - 01-19-2010

Whooee, I just happen to have my 2nd mango ripening on the counter. This does sound good. Will add to the list (short list ). Thanks for the review, Theresa.

Re: Review: Southwest Sloppy Joes - Dismc - 01-19-2010

Thanks for the review, Theresa. I'm always looking for a good Sloppy Joe recipe and I missed this one. Can't wait to try it.

Re: Review: Southwest Sloppy Joes - Mare749 - 01-19-2010

Thanks Theresa, I've passed over that one several times and keep meaning to try it. Now I will, for sure.

Re: Review: Southwest Sloppy Joes - Gourmet_Mom - 01-19-2010

I passed this one up for the same reason you did, Theresa. Now I'll have to go back and add it to the short list, also. Thanks for the great review.

Re: Review: Southwest Sloppy Joes - IcyMist - 01-19-2010

Wait, wait, wait....what, where, when? Can someone post the recipe please?

Re: Review: Southwest Sloppy Joes - Gourmet_Mom - 01-19-2010

Icy, if no one gets to it, I'll try to type it up tomorrow. I have papers to grade tonight. Sadly, we don't have MEMBER'S PLUS anymore. IF WE DID HAVE MEMBER'S PLUS, SOMEONE COULD COME ON AND POST IT STRAIGHT FROM THE ARCHIVES! Then I wouldn't have to type it out for you! You listening, Brian, Carlos, and JOY?!?!?!?!?!

Okay, so it's a special publication, which was not a part of the archives which were available to the Member's Plus people, but I thought I'd make a point here!

Re: Review: Southwest Sloppy Joes - - 01-19-2010

Total Time: 20 minutes

Whisk Together; Toss with:
1/3 cup mayonnaise
3 T. honey
2 T. fresh lime juice
Salt and cayenne to taste
4 cups coleslaw mix
2 T. chopped fresh cilantro

Saute in 1 T Vegetable Oil; stir in:
1 lb. ground turkey breast
1/2 cup onion, minced
1/2 cup ketchup
1/3 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
1/3 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
2 T. chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, minced
1 can diced green chiles (4.5 oz)
1 T. brown sugar
2 t. prepared yellow mustard
1 t. ground cumin
salt to taste
4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split, bottom half hollowed out

Top with:
1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded, divided
Prepared coleslaw

Preheat broiler to High; line a baking sheet with parchment paper
Whisk Mayonnaise, honey, lime juice, salt and cayenne together. Toss with colesalw mix and cilantro; chill
Saute turkey and onion in oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat for about five minutes. Stir in ketchup, corn, beans, chipotles, green chiles, brown sugar, mustard, cumin and salt.
Simmer five minutes. Spoon into each of the four bottom buns and arrange on the prepared baking sheet.
Top turkey mixture with 1/4 cup cheese. Broil top buns cut side up along with filled bottom buns until buns are toasted and cheese is melted. To serve, spoon slaw onto each sandwich and top with a toasted top bun.

Per sandwich 660 calories; 42% calories from fat; 31g total fat; 59g carb; 1080 mg sodium; 7g fiber; 42g protein.

Re: Review: Southwest Sloppy Joes - chef_Tab - 01-19-2010

Thanks Sonja! I was just going to post the recipe. I had a kitty on my lap that I did not want to disturb and the cookbook was in the kitchen. Glad I checked before starting to type! I had another one of these tonight for dinner and it tasted just as wonderful as last night, though I think the chipotle heat came through more. Great with beer!!!

Also want to mention that with the rest of the corn and black beans not used in the sloppy joe mix, I made a little healthy snack for myself. I mixed them together with a little lime juice, honey, chili seasoning, olive oil, and cilantro. Yum!