Cuisine at home Forums
I heard on the news earlier this evening... - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: I heard on the news earlier this evening... (/showthread.php?tid=95861)

I heard on the news earlier this evening... - foodfiend - 02-12-2010

that the only state in the United States which doesn't have at least one area with a dusting of snow today is Hawaii. According to the person from the National Weather Service who was being interviewed, this is very rare.

Lucky us.

49 of 50 states have snow
February 12, 2010

Washington (AP) — Forty-nine states have snow on the ground now, from the Gulf Coast's Redneck Riviera to the skyscrapers of Dallas.

The lone holdout? Hawaii.

Although snow falls every winter on Hawaii's two tallest volcanoes, the National Weather Service in Honolulu said there was no snow in the state Friday.

Snow has even fallen in the Florida Panhandle and along the South Carolina coast. However, snow has been lighter than usual in New England. Forecasters say El Nino has driven many of this year's storms southward.

Weather service meteorologist Brian Korty says it's extremely rare to have so many states with snow.

Re: I heard on the news earlier this evening... - - 02-12-2010

I can't believe this - it is snowing here - in Savannah

Re: I heard on the news earlier this evening... - Gourmet_Mom - 02-12-2010

I noticed you were getting snow. We've got about an inch already, and it's supposed to snow all night. Wow! I know that's not much to a lot of you, but a rare treat around here. It's been several years since we've had any significant snow. I know the kids around here are flipping out!

[Image: Snow2.jpg]

Re: I heard on the news earlier this evening... - foodfiend - 02-12-2010

Snowing in Savannah... sounds like a jazz tune! Take care, Sonja, you all are not used to this type of weather (although it makes drinking several cups of hot chocolate (rummed or not) enjoyable and necessary).

Daphne, whose little paw prints are making their way around your patio?

Re: I heard on the news earlier this evening... - Gourmet_Mom - 02-12-2010

That would be Cricket, our Lab. She didn't want to linger very long...LOL! Tomorrow morning will be fun though. I'll be taking more pictures. It's a shame I'm not at Mom's. Pictures of snow on the beach and clinging to the sea oats on the dunes is a site to see.

Re: I heard on the news earlier this evening... - luvnit - 02-13-2010

I had to look up what 'sea oats' were. Sounds like snow on the sea oats would be pretty. Here is a sea oat pic for those who (like me) wasn't sure what they were.

[Image: GrottoSeaOats00B.jpg]

Re: I heard on the news earlier this evening... - labradors - 02-13-2010

Well, sea oats would be better than road apples.

Re: I heard on the news earlier this evening... - pink_eagle - 02-13-2010

Even Florida got some snow yesterday, in the panhandle area. Tampa was raining and chilly yesterday and continues thru early in the week.

Re: I heard on the news earlier this evening... - - 02-13-2010

I was wondering about those prints as well, Vicci. Thought Daphne had a strange night visitor. We did not get very much at all - maybe 1/4 inch and it only stuck for a little bit then turned back into very cold rain. It has totally gone away today. Yes, if snow hits Savannah, we are like the Government - we shut down totally!

Re: I heard on the news earlier this evening... - foodfiend - 02-13-2010

Quote:

We did not get very much at all - maybe 1/4 inch and it only stuck for a little bit then turned back into very cold rain. It has totally gone away today. Yes, if snow hits Savannah, we are like the Government - we shut down totally!

But it comes and goes so quickly down there. We are forecast to get more snow (although not anywhere near the accumulation in the past week) and, since it will melt slowly, the entire month will be colder than usually because of the snow pack. Ick.