Cuisine at home Forums
Question about flours - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Question about flours (/showthread.php?tid=95916)

Question about flours - foodfiend - 02-13-2010

Oh boy, is my big freezer ever clean and neat! I hope that it stays that way, for a week, at least!

I found 2 small bags of flour-- Masa Harina de Maiz and Maseca. The masa harina was from several years ago when I had the silly idea to make corn tortillas (what a bust!) and I don't know why I bought the maseca.

What, other than tortillas, can I make with either of these?

Re: Question about flours - labradors - 02-13-2010

Try the English version of Maseca's recipe website.

At first, I had thought you could try using it for some Arepas[, but then I remembered that that is really supposed to be a different, specific kind of corn flour (different grind, etc.).

Pupusas would work, though.

Polvorones would be another good choice.

Re: Question about flours - cjs - 02-13-2010

sopas? don't know if that's the correct spelling, just made them last week with my superbowl leftovers.

Re: Question about flours - labradors - 02-13-2010

Quote:

sopas? don't know if that's the correct spelling, just made them last week with my superbowl leftovers.

Sopes

Good choice.

(Sopas = "Soups")

Re: Question about flours - foodfiend - 02-13-2010

Now are these two different types of corn flour, or are the same?

Rob, I'm going to make the pupusas and see how that goes. They look interesting.

Jean, I saw sopa and wondered how flour would fit into a soup recipe... Does the sope recipe that you used call for deep-frying? I just don't do that any more but, having made these, do you think that I could bake them instead? Or would they dry out?

Re: Question about flours - cjs - 02-14-2010

I used 'pam' and fried them. A little vege oil, too - just a tad.

Re: Question about flours - foodfiend - 02-14-2010

Thanks! I don't want you to type out the recipe, but if it's online I would appreciate the link.

Re: Question about flours - cjs - 02-15-2010

I sure would type it up, it's a short one, if I had it with me. We're on the road and the recipe is in a little Mexican cookbook I have at home, They sure were good.

Re: Question about flours - labradors - 02-15-2010

Do you remember enough of it to see how close the link I posted (Sopes) is? Maybe Vicci could use that recipe.

Re: Question about flours - cjs - 02-15-2010

very similar, but mine had masa harina, water AND a little shortening.