Cuisine at home Forums
Bill's Sour Cherry Pie - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Bill's Sour Cherry Pie (/showthread.php?tid=96024)

Bill's Sour Cherry Pie - cjs - 02-16-2010

Oh my, is this a delicious filling. I used it for a President's Day dinner menu with a little tweeking and we (and the neighbors that shared it just loved it!) Bill posted it a long time ago, but I had not made it before.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Sour Cherry Pie - Old Bay (Bill)

Make your own pie dough, or use the one from Cuisine Vol 22--very user friendly--can be used for miniature shells even!!

Filling:
9.5 Deep dish cherry pie
3 cans red tart cherries in water (Oregon Fruit Products if possible)
Drain cherries, reserve juice--should have about 2 C.

Combine scant 1/2 C corn starch with 1 & 1/4 C sugar in med sauce pan. Whisk in reserved juice. Cook over med heat stirring constantly until thickened, about 5-6 min.

Remove from heat & stir in 1/2 t almond extract, 1/4C Kirsch (optional, but it makes the pie!), a few drops red food color, and stir in cherries. Place in unbaked pie crust, dot with butter, put on lattice top, and brush with 1/2 & 1/2.

Bake at 400 for 30-40 min until golden brown. May have to cover edges with foil to prevent over browning.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"(optional, but it makes the pie!)," - and this is so true!!

I made a cobbler with the filling rather than a pie. If you haven't tried this one yet, you might think about it.

Thanks Bill!

Re: Bill's Sour Cherry Pie - Gourmet_Mom - 02-23-2010

Well, I didn't get the cherry brandy, but I DID use regular brandy. It was really good, but I wish I'd made it as a cobbler. I like regular cherry pie/cobbler, but it's soooo sweet. This is more to my liking...very tart and YUMMY!

The lattice top was pretty, but I LOVE pie crust. So, I'll be making this again with cherry brandy and more crust....but only when someone's here to take home the leftovers...LOL! Baby Girl's friends are getting a real treat tonight! (I did save one slice for my lunch box tomorrow though....LOL!

Thanks for the recipe, Bill and Jane!

Re: Bill's Sour Cherry Pie - luvnit - 02-24-2010

What is kirsch? I don't think I have ever heard of that.

Re: Bill's Sour Cherry Pie - labradors - 02-24-2010

It's short for Kirschwasser (literally "cherry water" in German), and is a cherry brandy.

Re: Bill's Sour Cherry Pie - cjs - 02-24-2010

and if you can find it, be sure to try it!!! wonderful.

Re: Bill's Sour Cherry Pie - luvnit - 02-24-2010

Thanks Labs!

And thanks for sharing the recipe Jean. In the past I haven't really cared for anything with cherries in it. But I am starting to like them now. I think I will try this. Definitely with some vanilla ice cream!

Re: Bill's Sour Cherry Pie - labradors - 02-24-2010

Actually. Kirsch is great on vanilla ice cream all by itself. Great stuff.

Re: Bill's Sour Cherry Pie - luvnit - 02-28-2010

We're going Up North this coming weekend with my MIL and FIL. I think I will make this and bring it up with some good vanilla ice cream.

For the pie, I think I will do a lattice top. If it turns out lovely, I will take a pic for you all.

Jean, you said you made this for a President's day dinner. For just you and Roy. Or did you cater something?

Re: Bill's Sour Cherry Pie - cjs - 02-28-2010

Just for us, but it was so good, we split it with the neighbors so we wouldn't eat it all!!! Hope you all enjoy it as much.

Re: Bill's Sour Cherry Pie - Gourmet_Mom - 02-28-2010

I hope you have better luck finding the Kirsch than I did. As a matter of fact, the other day, I was at a different liquor store and the guy looked in the book where he orders from the state. Kirsch is not listed...at all. So until I make a run to Myrtle Beach, I won't be able to get any...and that's no guarantee. I made mine with regular brandy and it was very good!