Cuisine at home Forums
DESPERATE - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: DESPERATE (/showthread.php?tid=96528)

DESPERATE - ccree - 02-27-2010

I have magazines back to 2001 and can't find Asian Pork Roast. Please help. I believe it is recent issue.

Re: DESPERATE - cjs - 02-27-2010

I wish I had access to my magazines, Cornelia - we're on the road, but someone will be by soon and help you out.

Re: DESPERATE - Gourmet_Mom - 02-27-2010

Cornelia, there are a number of Asian pork recipes. Could you be a little more specific. I may be able to help.

Okay, only one before 2001....Here's what I found:

Asian pork tenderloin

Cuisine at home No. 60 (December 2006), pages 36-37

The American South isn't the only place to get good barbecued pork. For something delicious and different, look to China.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Asian Pork Tenderloin

Recipe By :Cuisine at Home
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Pork

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
Trim -- Combine; Rub and Sear:
1 pork tenderloin, R-T-C -- trimmed ;2 lb. each
1 tablespoon five-spice powder
1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
1/2 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon peanut oil
Simmer:
1/8 cup plum sauce
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 tablespoon tomato paste
1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 tablespoon rice vinegar
1/2 tablespoon fresh ginger -- minced
1/2 tablespoon pineapple juice
1/2 teaspoon chili garlic sauce
Garnish with:
Fresh chives

Preheat oven to 400°.

Trim tenderloins of silverskin and excess fat. Combine five-spice, salt, and pepper, then rub over both tenderloins. Heat oil in an ovenproof saute pan over medium-high; sear pork on all sides, 5 minutes.

Simmer remaining ingredients (except chives) in a saucepan for 1 minute; pour over pork. Transfer pan to the oven and roast 20 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 140°. Remove pork from pan; let rest 10 minutes before slicing.

Garnish with fresh chives. Shown here with Spicy Asian Slaw.

Source:
"Cuisine at home, December 2006, Issue 60, p. 36"
S(Internet Address):
"http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=1&Number=29124&Searchpage=2&Main=27363&Words=review&topic=&Search=true#Post29124"

I have not gotten around to making one yet, but seem to remember some of the other members gave it great reviews. I have made this recipe with the salad and LOVED it! So here it is, just in case.

ASIAN PORK TENDERLOIN WITH ASIAN NOODLE SALAD

Recipe By ismc
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Pork

2 pork tenderloin -- (2-3 pounds total)
For the Yakitori Marinade:
2 cups dry sherry
1 cup soy sauce
6 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons fresh ginger -- coarse chop
3 cloves garlic -- coarse chop
3 scallions -- coarse chop
For the Grilling Sauce:
1 cup plum preserves
For the Gremolada:
1 tablespoon lemon zest -- (about 1 lemon)
1/4 cup peanuts, dry-roasted
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
2 tablespoons fresh ginger -- peeled, grated
ASIAN NOODLE SALAD

Trim tenderloins of fat and silverskin. Fold over the narrow tail end of the tenderloin and tie in place over the body, using kitchen twine. Continue tying the rest of the tenderloins at 1 1/2 inch intervals.

Bring yakitori ingredients to a simmer over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes, reducing slightly. Strain and cool.

Marinate tied pork tenderloins in a resealable plastic bag with HALF of the cooled Yakitori sauce. Seal the bag and marinate in refrigerator for one hour.

Mix other half of yakitori sauce with plum preserves (I used plum sauce as I couldn't easily find the plum preserves). Bring to simmer to dissolve preserves. Reduce to pancake syrup consistency (about 20 minutes).

Preheat grill to medium-high. Place the tenderloins on the grill, cover and cook four minutes. Then rotate tenderloins, cover and cook another four minutes. Rotate a final time and cook to the doneness you want. (suggests 145 degrees). Brush on some of the yakitori plum sauce on final rotation. When done, let sit 5 minutes and slice.

Source:
"DISMC" C@H Issue 22

ASIAN NOODLE SALAD

Recipe By ismc
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Sides and Sauces

1 cup bok choy -- shredded and diced
3/4 cups snow peas -- halved
1/2 cup red peppers -- cut in narrow strips
1/2 cup carrots -- cut in matchsticks
1/2 cup bean sprouts -- optional
1/4 cup scallions -- sliced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro -- leaves only
Cook in Boiling water 3 minutes: cool
1 package ramen -- (I'd use 2) discarding packet
For the Hot and Sweet Dressing:
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons chili garlic paste -- or sauce
2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
1 tablespoon sesame oil -- toasted
2 cloves garlic
5 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup fresh cilantro -- leaves only

If you make this salad ahead of time, keep the vegetables, noodles and dressing separate until you're ready to serve. This salad tastes great chilled or at room temp. It goes perfectly with the Asian Pork Tenderloin, but can be served by itself or with other entrees. (I would use only half as much dressing next time.)

Break noodles in half into boiling water. Cook for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water to stop cooking.

Dressing can be mixed by hand or with a food processor. Blend all ingredients except cilantro until smooth. Now, add cilantro and pulse so dressing doesn't turn muddy.

Combine noodles, vegetables, and dressing. Toss by hand to prevent crushing. Serve right away (within an hour) or it'll get mushy and all the colors will start to bleed.

To Serve Pork and Salad:

First plate the colorful salad (you can put it into a cup of bibb or other soft lettuce).
Add the sliced glazed pork, then top both with gremolada. Garnish the Yakitori Plum Sauce (served in a little bowl on each plate) with tiny slices of scallions.

Source:
"DISMC" C@H Issue 22

Re: DESPERATE - labradors - 02-27-2010

Welcome to the forum, Cornelia!

Re: DESPERATE - ccree - 02-27-2010

I've had 2 years iof French, 3 of Latin, 1 each of Greek and Chinese and 2 of Spanish and yes frantic, at one's wits end etc. all apply as I have a guest coming tonmorrow and everything in the house but no recipe.

Well, I had hoped the first recipe was the one you were looking for, but apparently not. That is the only Asian pork recipe in the index for issues from 2001 to date. Could it have been before, 2001? And if push comes to shove, the second recipe I posted is a GREAT recipe.

Re: DESPERATE - BarbaraS - 02-27-2010

I just looked up recipes for pre-2001 and I think Daphne's got that covered with the one from issue #22.

Barbara

Re: DESPERATE - DFen911 - 02-27-2010

She said "recent issue". I really need to get an index

Re: DESPERATE - Cubangirl - 02-27-2010

Here are all the entries for Asian Pork in the Index:

Barbecued Pork Buns
Cuisine at home No. 74 (April 2009), page 31
Slow cooked to perfection. Try this no-fail technique to great-tasting pork.

Asian Wraps
Cuisine at home No. 66 (December 2007), pages 16-17
This unique turn on tradition was inspired by a Vietnamese sandwich.

Asian pork tenderloin
Cuisine at home No. 60 (December 2006), pages 36-37
The American South isn't the only place to get good barbecued pork. For something delicious and different, look to China.

Asian Lime Ribs
Cuisine at home No. 34 (August 2002), pages 14-15
All ribs should be this lucky. Unique flavors that blend together perfectly.

Asian Soups
Cuisine No. 25 (February 2001), pages 14-19
Three Asian soups all made with chicken broth. They're fast, easy, and unbelievably authentic-tasting.

Very Asian Variation
Cuisine No. 22 (August 2000), pages 12-14
Asian marinated turns pork tenderloin into an eastern favorite. Add the accompanying chilled noodle salad for a perfect summer meal.

I also looked under pork roast but could not find anything that resembled Asian. If it was in a recent issue, maybe it is the first one. Otherwise could it have been in one of the cookbooks?