Cuisine at home Forums
Easter Lamb Cake - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Easter Lamb Cake (/showthread.php?tid=97092)

Easter Lamb Cake - momjanous - 03-11-2010

I recently inherited a cast iron lamb cake mold. The mold has two parts. However, I do not have any recipes. Traditionally, a pound cake is baked in the mold and then a butter cream frosting is used along with coconut to make the cake look like a lamb. Raisins or jelly beans are used for the face I remember having this as a child at Easter.

I hope some one on the forum has a recipe that they would share. I am uneasy about just doing a Google. Thanks.

Re: Easter Lamb Cake - labradors - 03-11-2010

Welcome to the forum!

... and here I was wondering, "Why would you bake lamb into a cake? Shepherd's Pie, perhaps, but a cake?"

Re: Easter Lamb Cake - cjs - 03-11-2010

Oh man, my daughter just turned 50 years old!! and I remember making one of these cakes for her when she was one or two....sure as heck with my memory, I can't remember what kind of cake I used. But, as poor as I was, I'm thinking it was just a regular cake batter.

Good luck!

Re: Easter Lamb Cake - Old Bay - 03-11-2010

Quote:

Welcome to the forum!

... and here I was wondering, "Why would you bake lamb into a cake? Shepherd's Pie, perhaps, but a cake?"

Or, Little David's Pie (remember, he tended the sheep before slaying the giant). I think he took some of his pie to his brothers, who were doing battle with the Philadelphians. They ran a Giant in unexpectedly (they play together in this league) and Little David just happened to bring his slingshot--really worked out well for his family.

Re: Easter Lamb Cake - cjs - 03-11-2010

You two are really helping Sue with her problem!!!! (go find your rooms)

Just ignore them, Sue!!

Re: Easter Lamb Cake - momjanous - 03-11-2010

Hmm, the pound cake recipe needs to be firm enough to hold its shape but not dry.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/chi-100108wht-column,0,3417278.column

The cakes were sold at many bakeries throughout the Chicago area and still are sold.

Re: Easter Lamb Cake - mjkcooking - 03-11-2010

hi

I have a cast iron mold that i have had for years

I love it. I always season up the mold everytime i use it.

by using lard/shortening and baking in the oven

for the cake I use the Dromdary Brand Pound cake mix and oil and flour the
cake pans - I fill the one side(the lamb nose down) and lay the top on it and place on a cookie '
sheet. Bake according to package When it is done I place a wet towel on
the top of the hot mold - when cool i take off the top and use a knife
around the edge to loosen.

hope this helps and welcome to the forum.

marye

Re: Easter Lamb Cake - cjs - 03-12-2010

Finally, someone who knows what she's talking about...