Cuisine at home Forums
Pesto Crusted - Ribeye - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Pesto Crusted - Ribeye (/showthread.php?tid=97349)

Pesto Crusted - Ribeye - luvnit - 03-14-2010

I have to tell you all that Pesto Crusted Ribeye cooked on the grill is really fantastic. We plan to make extra pesto this summer just to have some on hand for this. Our new favorite way to have ribeyes.

First I used the dry-brining method that Old Bay told us about, then I coated the steak with pesto. Now when I make my pesto for freezing, I make a paste by not adding all the olive oil the recipe calls for. I only add half of the olive and then I use this paste for many things: add to spaghetti sauce, top pizza, crusted salmon, etc. So if I want real pesto I just add some more olive oil. I just like to do it that way.

These steaks grilled up so nice and the outside was crispy and pesto-y. Really great flavor.

Re: Pesto Crusted - Ribeye - Gourmet_Mom - 03-14-2010

This sounds really good. I love pesto, and I like your idea of making a paste to freeze. Thanks for the info. Now where is that info on the dry brining you mentioned? Is this recipe one of your own creation?

Re: Pesto Crusted - Ribeye - luvnit - 03-15-2010

Daphne, this is something shared with us by Buzz (I thought it was Old Bay, sorry)

Dry Brining and Reverse Searing

After reading this I found a blog with a great tutorial about the dry brining process. We use this dry brining with great results.

Dry Brining - Tutorial

Re: Pesto Crusted - Ribeye - cjs - 03-15-2010

Oh my, this sounds so good. I like having pesto in the freezer, but I've never tried freezing it with less oil, huh, will think on this one.

Re: Pesto Crusted - Ribeye - pjcooks - 03-15-2010

I've been reverse searing all winter, since my grill blew over, almost into the pool, and I'm not sure whether it was damaged or not. I got this technique from CI a while ago, and it really works well. Only thing is, it cools off too much during the resting period, and Picky doesn't like that, so I'll have to figure out a way around it.

Really results in a perfectly cooked steak, I'll probably sear it on the grill once it's up and running.

PJ

Re: Pesto Crusted - Ribeye - Gourmet_Mom - 03-15-2010

Thanks for the links, Laura. Now that you mention Buzz, I remember the thread.