Cuisine at home Forums
Mu Shu Beef Wrap w/Miso Slaw - Review - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Mu Shu Beef Wrap w/Miso Slaw - Review (/showthread.php?tid=98490)

Mu Shu Beef Wrap w/Miso Slaw - Review - cjs - 04-02-2010

9+ from both of us for this one!!! It is just such a nice, easy, well-flavored recipe. I prepped everything in the afternoon (including allowing the beef for marinate for a few hours rather than the 5 minutes called for) Dinner probably took 5 minutes to do when we were ready.

All the flavors were just perfect for us. This recipe is in the new Cuisine Lite book.

Re: Mu Shu Beef Wrap w/Miso Slaw - Review - Gourmet_Mom - 04-02-2010

Thanks for the review, Jean. I never did find this one in the stores...August Publishing had already replaced it with Volume 2 Cooking for Two when I went to Sam's last month. I'll check again when I go tomorrow or the first of teh week.

Re: Mu Shu Beef Wrap w/Miso Slaw - Review - cjs - 04-02-2010

This one is too good to wait for -

Mu Shu Beef Wrap with Miso Slaw
Cuisine Lite Book
2 servings

For the Beef:
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
1 T minced fresh gingerroot
1 T. minced garic
1 T. each: mirin, honey, and chili garlic sauce
6 oz. beef top sirloin, trimmed and cut into 8 thin strips
2 8" whole-wheat tortillas

For the Slaw:
2 T. water
1 T. each: white miso, rice vinegar, and honey
1 1/2 cups cole slaw mix
1/4 cup chopped scallions

Combine hoisin, ginger, garlic, mirin, 1 T. honey, and chili garlic sauce in a bowl. Add beef, tossing to coat; marinate for 5 minutes.(I marinated this for about 3 hours)

Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Sear beef strips until they're browned on one side, 3 minutes turn strips over; grill until beef is caramelized, 2-3 minutes more (we had picked up a 1/2 lb. pkg. of thin scallopini type beef steak that I cut in srtips and just tossed in a hot, hot skillet for a couple minutes).

Warm tortillas in the microwave oven until soft about 10 seconds. Place four beef strips on each tortilla.

For the slaw:
Whisk water, miso, vinegar, and 1 T. honey in a bowl. Toss with cole slaw mix and scallions (season with salt & pepper). Using a slotted spoon, place slaw on top of beef; roll tortillas.

Thanks, Jean! Oh, my....hoisin sauce and ginger? Going on the list for next week! I wanna test it over the break so I'll be more likely to make it on a weeknight. Thanks again!

BTW, I'm planning on going to the city Monday or Tuesday and hope to get a pretty piece of Salmon for gravalox. I'll let you know! That, a choc. torte, lemon torte, Limoncello (forgot to get it started), saurbraten (for the rainy days at the end of break), blintzes/crepes are on my list!!!!!

I also need to put together a MC Cookbook of "A List Quick and Easy" recipes. You know how crazy I get in this last month and a half of school ....

Daphne, if you and William like these wraps, you can hardly get a quicker dinner.

The ingredients sound right...but it seems to be missing some green onion in there. I'll let you know!

there is green onion in the slaw.

Oh, missed it...PERFECT! I think I saw some good beef on sale today that would work for this AND the Saurbraten! It looked like just enough marble for the saurbraten, so I'm thinking if I slice it right, it will work for the Mu Shu. We'll see what I find at Sam's.

NOOOOO....I need the flank steak for the Mu Shu! I need a BUNCH of flank...I hope it's still cheap!!!!!

Re: Mu Shu Beef Wrap w/Miso Slaw - Review - Harborwitch - 04-02-2010

Like I'll find miso here I had some, but gave it away when we moved. Any ideas on a substitute????? I looked at this recipe and thought it looked like something Bob and I would love.

Sharon, I'm sure this isn't what you're used to, but unless I find MISO at the Asian Market Tuesday, this is what I'm going to do.

According to Cook's Thesaurus: "Substitutes: soy sauce (one tablespoon miso = one teaspoon soy sauce) OR umeboshi paste"

Like I'd find umeboshi paste if I can't find miso....LOL! I'll be using full strength soy, but tasting for salt.