Cuisine at home Forums
Bromated flour - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Bromated flour (/showthread.php?tid=99790)

Bromated flour - labradors - 05-01-2010

Recently, I discovered that the flour I've been using is bromated. Then I happened to see something saying that potassium bromate is a potential carcinogen and that some states require certain labeling for flours that contain it.

Another flour, here, which has the same level of protein, contains benzoyl peroxide, which seems to be considered not as bad as the potassium bromate.

What do any of you know about these flour additives, and how concerned should I be about them? All the other flours have lower protein, so they would not be as good for breads, etc.

Re: Bromated flour - cjs - 05-01-2010

Oh Labs, I wish I could remember the old (probably younger than I ) guy on C2C that always helped us with baking/flour questions. Do you remember who he was?

I also wish I could help you out with info.

Re: Bromated flour - labradors - 05-01-2010

Don't remember that one. Not sure I ever saw those particular threads. Figured this would probably be a question for Old Bay.

Re: Bromated flour - Harborwitch - 05-01-2010

I buy flour that contains "wheat". I guess I'm really lucky in North Dakota - there are some really good flour mills, including a lot that use only organic wheat. I think hard red wheat is higher in protein.

Cousin Roy was over for dinner the other night - he as bemoaning the fact that he can't find organic spelt to plant. Everything on their farm is done organically.

Hopefully Old Bay will have more info.

Re: Bromated flour - Cubangirl - 05-01-2010

I use mostly KAF unbleached/unbromated flours for baking both sweets and bread. However some recipes require cake flour which up to now has usually been bromated. Also some of the most popular grocery store flours are either bleached or bromated as well, think Gold Medal, Pillsbury and Softasilk. The bleached versions of the first two are much easier to find than the unbleached. KAF recently came out with a version of cake flour that is unbleached and unbromated. I have some in the pantry, but have not used it yet. Here's what KAF has to say about them. BTW, when I was trying to find the info I'd seen before on their site, I came across all sorts of nifty information on this page . Hope this helps.

Re: Bromated flour - labradors - 05-01-2010

Thanks, Cubana. That is interesting information.

Wish I could get KAF (or, even better, Heckers) here, but I've never seen them here, yet.

For now, I guess the question is not really so much about the potassium bromate, but the benzoyl peroxide. I could use the benzoyl-peroxide-treated flour instead of the bromated flour, but I don't know if there are any particular concerns about that - only that I probably should use the bromated.

Unfortunately, the flours that don't contain those additives do not have as much protein, so they wouldn't be as good for breads.

Re: Bromated flour - Harborwitch - 05-02-2010

Some info to share:

"Dakota Prairie's line of organic flours are specifically developed to meet the needs of discriminating manufacturers. Offering a level of flavor, consistency and reliability never before available in organic flours. Dakota Prairie will make a noticeable difference in your products and on your bottom line.

* break down of a wheat kernelAll of our grains with gluten are 100% Organic.
* Dedicated gluten-fee facility is certified for organic, non-organic and mix production.
* The flour is never bleached, bromated, enriched and contains no chemical preservatives.
* All of our flours are GMO Free and Identity Preserved.
* Shelf life is twelve months for white flours and six months for whole flours.
* Protein content is relative to water absorption, gluten strength and finished product attributes, such as texture and appearance. Low protein content is desired for crisp or tender products, such as snacks, wraps, tortillas or cakes. High protein content is desired for products with chewy texture, such as pan bread and hearth bread. Higher protein content usually requires more water and a longer mixing time to achieve optimum dough consistency. Gluten-free flours are milled in a dedicated gluten- free facility and tested for gluten levels. Our tests will detect gluten levels of > 20ppm (> 10ppm gliadin).
* Wheat consists of three basic parts: the bran (red in diagram), the germ (yellow/green) and the endosperm (white).
* Ash is the mineral that remains in the flour - artisan bread bakers prefer higher ash values.
* Milling white flour removes the bran thus reducing the protein, vitamin, mineral and fiber content.
* Straight flour uses most to all of the endosperm
* Patent flour is the purest and highest-quality commercial wheat flour available. Patent flour is made from the center portion of the endosperm.
* Flour performs a number of functions in baked goods: it provides structure; it binds and absorbs; it affects keeping qualities; it affects flavor; it imparts nutritional value. Not every flour is going to do the same job well so we provide many flours.
* Over 40 different flours are available from Dakota Prairie Organic Flour for your baking needs.
* If you are adding gluten to your flours, try our White or White High Gluten made with 100% Organic Hard Red Spring Wheat. You’ll save time and money."

These folks do sell to the general public. Here are their protein content listings:
Variety: (clicks for additional information)

Type: Protein: Ash:
HARD RED WINTER WHEAT--
Bronze white 10% min 0.65 max
Gold white 10.5% min 0.65 max
Whole Wheat whole 11% min

HARD RED SPRING WHEAT--
Silver white 11.5% min 0.65 max
White Patent white 12% min 0.50 max
White white 12.5% min 0.65 max
White High Gluten white 13.5% min 0.65 max
Bakers Special intermediate 13% min
Premium Whole Wheat whole 13% min

Can you buy gluten??? That will increase your protein. You can get more information here: Flour information

Re: Bromated flour - labradors - 05-02-2010

Quote:

These folks do sell to the general public.

Pity that I'm not in their general public, but in another country.

Quote:

Can you buy gluten??? That will increase your protein.

Around here, gluten is not sold as a separate product. Instead, those who use gluten (as seitan - a meat alternative) make it, themselves, by mixing one of the flours I already mentioned with water, kneading it, then soaking out the carbohydrates until the soaking water runs clear. They could also do it with whole-wheat flour, but that is more expensive for them. As for my own uses, whole-wheat flour would had a higher protein content but, of course, it isn't usable for all recipes that would call for regular flour.

Re: Bromated flour - Mare749 - 05-02-2010

Quote:

Oh Labs, I wish I could remember the old (probably younger than I ) guy on C2C that always helped us with baking/flour questions. Do you remember who he was?

I also wish I could help you out with info.

Jean, was it Pop the Baker? He was always very helpful whenever I asked him.

Re: Bromated flour - labradors - 05-02-2010

Yeah, that seems to be the guy. I did a search on C2C and found a few relevant messages from him, but not quite what I was hoping. Unfortunately, when I tried to post a new message, the site gave me a database error message, so I had to email them about the error, first.