Stouffer's - Grandma's Chicken & Veg Rice Bake
  Re: (...)
We have had this stouffer's frozen meal many, many times and love, love, love it.

I was on a mission to dupicate it, and I have! It is really good.

Here is my copy version of the recipe. I have thumbs up from everyone in the house...

Grandma’s Chicken & Vegetable Rice Bake

I will share my version of the Stouffer’s wonderful recipe. Okay, it doesn't look like much but dang, it GOOD! With the crispy panko topping and cheesy center, really yummy. Anyone who is a fan of this frozen casserole from stouffers will love this version!

[Image: DSC02888.jpg]

Grandma's Chicken & Vegetable Rice Bake - Stouffer's
4 T unsalted butter
4 T flour
3 cups whole milk
1 can cream of chicken soup
3 cups of freshly shredded sharp cheddar
Salt and pepper to taste (about 1 1/2 salt and 1/2 pepper)
1 cup frozen peas and carrot blend
3 cups chopped cooked chicken (rotisserie works great!)
4 cups of cooked CONVERTED rice (cook rice according to package)
2 T butter
1 1/2 cups Panko

Cook rice and set aside. Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9x13 pan and set aside. In a large duch oven melt 4 T butter and add flour. Cook for 1 minute. Slowly add milk and cook until comes to a bubble stirring constantly. Let bubble and stir for 1 minute. Add cheese and stir until melted. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add chopped chicken, veggies, and rice. Pour into 9x13 pan. In a medium bowl melt 2 T butter in the microwave for about 40 seconds. Stir in panko bread crumbs and toss until well coated. Even sprinkle bread crumbs over the casserole and put in the oven. Cook for 30-40 minutes or until bubbly and top is a deep golden brown.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Stouffer's - Grandma's Chicken & Veg Rice Bake by luvnit (We have had this sto...)
Laura, My kids (and I) really like that one too! I have a recipe from CI that is very similar to it. I will compare tomorrow or in the next few days - I will also post it. It is a good one!

Thanks for posting this one. We will have to give yours a try too!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Stouffer's - Grandma's Chicken & Veg Rice Bake by esgunn (Laura, My kids (and...)
Yes, I would love to see yours too! This is one of those dishes that just stays on your mind. My husband and kids love it. I just thought if I made it myself it would be healthier, less sodium, blah, blah, blah. But I actually plan to freeze some in those Glad Casserole pans.
Laura
  Re: Re: Stouffer's - Grandma's Chicken & Veg Rice Bake by luvnit (Yes, I would love to...)
This sort of reminds me of a casserole I made in the past where you layer uncooked rice, boneless, skinless breasts, top with cream of whatever soup and wine then cover and bake. Is the end result similar?
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Stouffer's - Grandma's Chicken & Veg Rice Bake by chef_Tab (This sort of reminds...)
First thing I thought of was - Billy would love this, it's right up his alley. I miss making casseroles, I don't make them often now that it's just the two of us.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Stouffer's - Grandma's Chicken & Veg Rice Bake by chef_Tab (This sort of reminds...)
No, we have made that chicken and rice dish too.

It is different. The creamy cheddar sauce makes this a standout and the chicken pre-cooked and cubed in the sauce. I love the crispy crunchy topping too.
Laura
  Re: Re: Stouffer's - Grandma's Chicken & Veg Rice Bake by luvnit (No, we have made tha...)
Thanks Laura! I may have to give this one a try.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Stouffer's - Grandma's Chicken & Veg Rice Bake by luvnit (We have had this sto...)
I'm So Happy To Have MC BACK!!!!

Here is the CI Recipe.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Creamy Chicken and Rice casserole with peas, carrots and cheddar

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Freezer Meals Main Dish Chicken

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 medium onion -- minced
salt
3 medium garlic cloves -- minced
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 cup unbleached flour
6 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 cup heavy cream
2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast -- trimmed
1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
1 pound frozen peas and carrots
8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese -- shredded
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
ground black pepper
1 recipe Frozen Bread crumb topping - to follow
3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley

Frozen Bread Crumb Topping
4 slices white bread -- quartered
2 tablespoons unsalted butter -- melted
2 tablespoons fresh parsley -- minced
salt and pepper

For Bread Crumb topping: Adjust and oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 300 degrees. Pulse the bread and butter into a food processor to coarse crumbs, about 6 pulses. Spread the crumbs out over a trimmed baking sheet. Bake, stirring occasionally, until golden and dry, 20 - 30 minutes. Let the crumbs cool, then toss with the parsley, season with salt and pepper to taste.

For the Casserole: Melt the butter in a dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and 1 tsp salt and cook until softened and lightly browned 5 to 7 minutes.

Stir in the garlic and cayenne and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the flour and cook stirring constantly, until golden about 1 minute.
Slowly whisk in the broth and cream.

Add the chicken breasts, partially cover, and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low, cover completely and cook until the thickest part of the chicken breast registers 160 degrees on an instant red thermometer, 10 to 15 minutes.

Remove the chicken and set aside to cool. Stir the rice into the pot, cover and continue to cook over low heat, stirring often until the rice has absorbed much of the liquid and is just tender, 20 to 25 minutes.

When the chicken is cool enough to handle, shred it into bite-sized pieces.

Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the shredded chicken, peas and carrots, cheddar and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Pour the mixture in a 9x13 baking dish or Two 8x8 baking dishes and sprinkle with the crumb topping.

To serve Right Away: (Bake Half, Freeze Half) Bake the casserole in a 400 degree oven uncovered, until the sauce is bubbling and the crumbs are crisp 25 to 35 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley before serving.

To bake from Refrigerated or Frozen (Must be thawed in the refrigerator 24 hours before cooking)
Adjust the oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 400 degrees. Unwrap the dish and cover tightly with aluminum foil. Bake until the casserole
is bubbling and hot throughout about 40 to 50 minutes. Remove the foil and continue to bake until the crumbs are crisp, 15 to 20 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley before serving.

To refrigerate or Freeze: Wrap the dish tightly with plastic wrap and then foil and refrigerate for up to 2 days. or freeze for up to 1 month .
If frozen casserole must be thawed in the refrigerator 24 hours before cooking.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : 2 lbs chicken breasts is about 5 breasts

After adding the rice, stir often for the first few minutes so it does not clump or stick to the bottom of the pan.

Makes 1 9x13 pan - 8 servings - OR
2 8x8 pans - 4 servings each - OR
three 9x3 inch loaf pans 2 to 3 servings each.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Stouffer's - Grandma's Chicken & Veg Rice Bake by esgunn (I'm So Happy To Have...)
Oh yes that one looks really good too. I like that it doesn't have the can of soup in it. I will have to try this very soon. I am sure I will get no complaints from anyone here. My last casserole is nearly gone!

The recipes are very similar. I can't wait to try it.

About the Frozen Bread crumb mixture. Do you make up a large batch of this and freeze it for future use?
Laura
  Re: Re: Stouffer's - Grandma's Chicken & Veg Rice Bake by luvnit (Oh yes that one look...)
Yummy, Erin! These look good for freezing for school next year! Thanks!

I have an aunt, a school teacher also, who spent her summer vacation making casseroles and freezing veggies and meats for the winter months. I wouldn't want a LOT of space taken in the freezer with casseroles, but a few would be appreciated, I'm sure.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.