Chicken sandwich/wrap idea
  Re: (...)
Well, I had gotten SOME of the stuff to make Erin's Indian-Style Stuffed Chicken Breasts, but ran out of money and had enough other things going on that I decided just to throw together something simpler.

After deboning the chicken breasts, I cut them into bite-sized chunks then sautéed them in a little bit of vegetable oil, adding the following: garam masala, fenugreek seeds, minced ginger, salt and pepper, coconut milk and plain yogurt. After simmering that for a while, I served it over some Basmati rice, and it was delicious.

The big surprise came at lunch time, the next day, when I spooned some of the mixture (sans rice) onto a small plate to reheat it in the microwave. Of course, it was still very good, but the big revelation came when I licked the spoon that still had some of the COLD mixture on it. It was FANTASTIC! After that, I didn't even bother reheating it, and I just had the last bit of it - cold - for lunch, today.

Unfortunately, I didn't have any bread to try it on a sandwich (nor even any flour tortillas to make a wrap), but I think this would be a perfect Quiznos-style sandwich with some lettuce and red onion (no tomatoes, though, and with the chicken diced into smaller chunks), topped with Swiss cheese then toasted just enough to crisp the outside of the bread and melt the cheese a bit. WOW! I can taste it already! (Of course, it helps that I just finished my non-sandwich lunch portion just a few minutes ago.)

This is something with which I'm going to continue to experiment - actually measuring the ingredients the next time. Also, even though I used a pretty generous amount of garam masala, I think it could use just a little bit more - especially if this is going to be surrounded by bread, lettuce, red onions and Swiss cheese.

If I were running a sandwich shop, I'd put this onto the menu right away - at least as a special to see how it would be received. Either way, I know it's going to become a regular at home.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Chicken sandwich/wrap idea by labradors (Well, I had gotten S...)
Sounds like a great idea to me, labs. Sometime, you really have to try the original recipe though. It's one of the few that several of us gave a 10. Really worth the effort.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Chicken sandwich/wrap idea by Mare749 (Sounds like a great ...)
Wow, will have to do this one, that's for sure. I'd better p.m. Linda (ibcookin) and have her take a look for a sandwich special at the golf club.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Chicken sandwich/wrap idea by labradors (Well, I had gotten S...)
Thanks for the idea! That sounds really really good. (Of course, I love cold stroganoff!) Thanks for posting the link - I've got to make these very soon.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Chicken sandwich/wrap idea by Mare749 (Sounds like a great ...)
Quote:

Sometime, you really have to try the original recipe though. It's one of the few that several of us gave a 10. Really worth the effort.

Oh, I intend to. Just have to wait until I can have everything for it together at once.

Quote:

That sounds really really good. (Of course, I love cold stroganoff!)

LOL! So do I, but I really do think this chicken would be more widely accepted.
  Re: Re: Chicken sandwich/wrap idea by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Uh, yeah. People look at me funny when I eat the cold stroganoff. I'm going to have to try this soon. . . both ways.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Chicken sandwich/wrap idea by Harborwitch (Uh, yeah. People lo...)
Sounds good Rob. When you play around with it more and get some of the quantities nailed down - please share!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Chicken sandwich/wrap idea by esgunn (Sounds good Rob. Wh...)
Well, bless her heart, Jean did pm me to let me know about this one. Sounds like it would be a great feature for my Thursday night league. They are a hoot, they will eat pretty much anything Chels puts out there for them - much more adventuresome than the other nights.

She did monte cristos for them and I am looking at her thinking she will never be able to sell these to a golfer . . . wrong. She sold an entire hotel pan plus of 1/2 sandwiches. They loved them!

Thanks Labs and Jean for thinking about me!
  Re: Re: Chicken sandwich/wrap idea by iBcookin (Well, bless her hear...)
Although Monte Cristos may have some detractors, they'll probably always sell well.

If you do decide to experiment with my recipe, please let me know how they go. With other things going on right now, it's going to be about two weeks before I make this again, in order to make some actual measurements of the ingredients.
  Re: Re: Chicken sandwich/wrap idea by labradors (Although Monte Crist...)
you are welcome! And it brought you back for another update, I see - must go read it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com