Jean's Potato Salad recipe
  Re: (...)
Does anyone have a link to where I can find this? I tried a search, but the list is so daunting...
Thanks!!!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Jean's Potato Salad recipe by foodfiend (Does anyone have a l...)
Vicci, I'm not sure if this recipe has ever been posted. It's in her Chef's Journey book. If it doesn't get posted later, I'll type it up for you. Hopefully, Laura already has it typed up and will post it.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Jean's Potato Salad recipe by Gourmet_Mom (Vicci, I'm not sure ...)
Here I am - and here it is! (yessss, it is in the book.....)

Straight from pages 44 & 45....

My mother and I worked on our Potato salad for so many years until we finally got it tweaked exactly the way we loved it. Every time I make it my husband says, “This is the best you’ve ever made!” So, I guess we finally got it right.

Two Moms’ Potato Salad

6 large russet potatoes, washed but not peeled (about 4 ½ lbs.)
12 large eggs, hard-cooked, cooled and peeled, saving 2 eggs for garnish
1/3 cup sweet pickle relish
1/2 medium-sized red onion, minced
1/2 lb. bacon, diced and cooked until just crisp
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup Miracle Whip
2 T. French’s Mustard
Salt & pepper to taste
Garnish:
4 green onions
Two of the hard-cooked eggs, sliced
2-3 T. of the crisp bacon
Paprika

Cut potatoes in quarters and put in a pot of cold water; bring to a boil, turn the heat down and allow to simmer until just fork tender. Remove from heat, drain and return to the burner and toss over the heat for 2-3 minutes to dry the potatoes a little. Let cool.

Roughly chop 10 of the hard-cooked eggs, setting aside the last two for garnish.

When the potatoes are cool, cut into bite-size pieces into a large bowl; add the eggs, relish, onions, and all but 2-3 T. of the cooked bacon.

Mix the mayonnaise and miracle whip together with the mustard; pour about half onto the salad and gently toss together. Use all of the mayonnaise mixture if needed for moisture. (The salad will absorb the dressing as it sits, so you want to over dress it a little.)

Put the salad into a large serving bowl; slice the remaining two eggs and garnish with the green onions and bacon. Sprinkle paprika over all. The salad is best when made the day before serving.

CJ’s tip: For perfect hard-cooked eggs every time, cover a pot of eggs with cold water; bring to a boil uncovered. Watch carefully and just as the water begins to boil, turn the heat off, cover the pan tightly, and set a timer for 18 minutes. When time is up, carefully spoon the hard-cooked eggs into a bowl of ice water and let them cool quickly. Letting the eggs cook in boiling water is what causes the ugly green ring around the yolk ~ you don’t want that!

---

There you go, Laura - good luck with all your prep work.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Jean's Potato Salad recipe by cjs (Here I am - and her...)
And the rest of all the wonderful recipes can be had for a small price...and while you're at it get the "Pizza, Pizza, Pizza" book, too!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Jean's Potato Salad recipe by Gourmet_Mom (And the rest of all ...)
You're hired!!!! (my own personal P.R. person)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Jean's Potato Salad recipe by cjs (You're hired!!!! (my...)
Thanks so much for posting the recipe, Jean, and we may be related somehow because (with the exception of the bacon) this is exactly my Mom's recipe-- right down to the French's yellow mustard and Miracle Whip!

The thing is, we never measure. I still have the recipe in my box (which I wrote down while asking my Mom over the phone back when I was first married) but it has just the ingredients listed. It will be nice to have measurements!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: Jean's Potato Salad recipe by foodfiend (Thanks so much for p...)
Wow!! That recipe looks awesome! Sweet pickle relish - one of those long lost ingredients.

Thanks Jean!!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Jean's Potato Salad recipe by foodfiend (Thanks so much for p...)
Vicci, it really is a great recipe. I know you probably don't eat bacon, but if you do still use turkey bacon, try a few pieces cooked crisp and crumbled up on top. It's so good.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Jean's Potato Salad recipe by Mare749 (Vicci, it really is ...)
Maryann, I went out to the kitchen and put turkey bacon on the list. Actually, I had meant to buy it for the past few weeks, but kept forgetting. I bought some Ohio tomatoes in the Strip, they taste so close to homegrown, and I am dying for a BLT!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: Jean's Potato Salad recipe by foodfiend (Maryann, I went out ...)
Oh, I am sooo jealous! I haven't even had Ohio tomatoes yet! Will definately have to get down to the West Side Market and find out what I'm missing!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."