Some C@H Reviews
  Re: (...)
As I mentioned we had an impromtu appetizer dinner last night. My girlfriend and her daughter came down and while the kids played outside, we played inside. Made a few new recipes from various C@H books/issues.

We had deviled eggs and I made a fresh herb viniagrette and marinated mushrooms and then grilled them. Yummy.

From Issue 82 August 2010
Tomato Tarts withh goat cheese and basil

These were very easy to make and very tasty. I made two with goat cheese, but since I am not a fan of goat cheese i made to whith garilc and herb cheese - Alloutte or Rondele I think. Big Hit. and very pretty.

From the grilling book with the five spice glazed chicken on it:

Grilled Zucchini roll-ups with feta and herbs.
We really liked these, the flavors were great. But I think my small zucchini were just a little too small. I also don't think I let them cool enough (missed reading that step) and my cheese just sort of melted. I did think the full amount of oil and lemon juice made the cheese spread a little too stoft. I think I would add the oil as needed not just dump it all in.

From the newest book: Fresh and Fabulous
Endive Spoons with Chicken Pate. This pate (chicken salad) was really good. Loved all the flavors. The store did not have endive so had to skip that step. Would have loved having the endive spoons though.

And for dessert also from Fresh and Fabulous:
Raspberry Fools. I had picked raspberries that morning. and this is such an easy dessert. Has become my kids favorite. Just simple and very pretty. How can you go wrong with fresh raspberries and whipped cream?

The two wines we served were:
Rock Point River Rock Red wine from Oregon. This is a very light red with a lot of berry flavors. It was good.

Renwood 2006 Zinfandel Old Vine. Amador County Ca.
This was a specatular wine. So smooth and such a nice flavor. My friend brought it, she had got it as a gift.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Some C@H Reviews by esgunn (As I mentioned we ha...)
Wow! Great reviews Erin. Thank you. You have been a busy, busy woman. Sounds like you and the kids are eating well. Hope all is going for you all. I think about you and the kids often. I bet they can't wait for fall gymnastics. I am going to check into that for my kids this fall.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Some C@H Reviews by luvnit (Wow! Great reviews E...)
Erin, it sounds like you had a really great time. Thank you for the great reviews. I am so impressed with your strength and determination to make the most of it while your hubby is away, even though I know you are counting the days.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Some C@H Reviews by Mare749 (Erin, it sounds like...)
WOW, Erin! What great picks! I've had my eye on all but the zucchini recipe (William's not a fan), especially the tomato tarts. I may just have to put an appetizer dinner on the menu for next week. We LOVE that kind of dinner.

I'll note both of those wines, especially the Renwood. That sounds really familiar, and I love a good Zinfandel.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Some C@H Reviews by Gourmet_Mom (WOW, Erin! What gre...)
I'm glad you mentioned that, Daphne. We love an appetizer dinner any time. Will have to do that soon.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Some C@H Reviews by Mare749 (I'm glad you mention...)
We love appetizer dinners and used to do them once a week. Gosh I miss those.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Some C@H Reviews by luvnit (We love appetizer di...)
We used to do those a lot too. I think lack of ingredients may be a factor here.

Erin your reviews are wonderful - have been wanting to try the tomato tarts.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Some C@H Reviews by Harborwitch (We used to do those ...)
Thanx for the reviews, Erin! I'm waiting for our tomatoes to ripen so I can try the tomato tart, too.

Sounds like you had a fun weekend!
  Re: Re: Some C@H Reviews by HomeCulinarian (Thanx for the review...)
Great reviews, Erin - will add your notes to the pages, of the books I have. They all sound like what I'd like to play with, too.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com