Lookin for some help from my friends
  Re: (...)
Well, today starts the weekend from He**. A tournament for 100 today, smaller one tomorrow and Saturday with completely booked tees on Saturday, and another tournament for 100 on Sunday. The problem is todays. We sent out the banquet menu this spring. After numerous attempts to contact him for his menu selection, he appears before me Monday morning and insists that it needs to be prime rib because that is what he advertised in his flyer last winter.

Oh, and he can't give me a firm number to shoot for even though I explained that my order had to go in by noon that day. Eventually we got the 100 figure.

But Chels is nervous since we haven't done prime here. Any suggestions or ideas? At this point the plan is to douse it with Montreal seasoning, put it in perf pans over hotel pans to catch the drippings, and put it on this morning around 9:30 in the Altoshams at around 250-300(?). We plan to eat around 6:00, but as he says, you never know with these tournaments. I have seen some of them go as long as 6+ hours-a killer to try and plan on when to get the food out there so that it still looks reasonably edible.

So . . . Jean, Rob, and anyone else out there who has done this on a large scale, or even a small scale, any ideas or tips to share?
  Re: Lookin for some help from my friends by iBcookin (Well, today starts t...)
No help at all, here, 'cuz I've never cooked prime rib in my life, but I'm really sorry that he didn't tell you about his flyer before Monday. What was he thinking?

I'm sending good thoughts your way for the weekend. I hope everything goes really well!
  Re: Re: Lookin for some help from my friends by karyn (No help at all, here...)
Jean would probably be the best one to answer this, since the things that I have done on a larger scale have not included prime rib. The one thing I would say, as a general rule, is that if this is being done "buffet style," where people line up and serve themselves, remember to put the prime rib (and whatever else may be the most costly items) at the very end of the line so that people's plates will already be so full of bread, salads, sides, etc. that they won't be able to pile on huge amounts of the prime rib.

Good luck! Hope it turns out well.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
I like the idea of the Montreal seasoning. I've only cooked prime ribs 2 ways - hot and fast and low and slow wrapped in foil on a little BBQ many many years ago.

Labs is right - station it at the far end of the buffet and I'd have someone serve it.

Good luck this weekend, wish we could be there to help - but we're packing and packing.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Lookin for some help from my friends by Harborwitch (I like the idea of t...)
Sorry, I wasn't around yesterday, Linda. Here's how I used to do at the hotel - we were never sure how long picture taking would take and sometimes we had to hold things for an hour or more, but I would think you're going to have more of a window for when the golfers show up than that. So, I'll start off by wishing you all kinds of luck.

I trimmed all the fat off the meat in the largest pieces I could and hang on to them. Liberal salt & pepper; top with sliced red onion (1 onion per roast), lay rosemary sprigs over. Cover all this with the strips of fat.

Here, it's up to Chels how she likes to roast beef - I roasted mine at 425 for 30 min; reduce the temp to 350 and roast for another two hours. start temping after 1 1/2 hour - pull when 125 is reached. Tent for 20 minutes before carving.

If serving time is delayed, I had a heated cambro that I could fit 6 roasts in and they kept quite nicely for up to an hour. I also had an old pizza oven that I could hold them in also, for more space.

To go with the above seasoning, I made a compound butter that would be dolloped over the slices:

chop a bunch of rosemary and broken pecans then process until very small pieces, but not a paste. Toast together; let cool. In a processor mix room temp. butter and add the rosemary mixture, s&p and blue cheese. Wrap in a log and chill. Cut off pieces to top the beef for service. Also, always had horseradish and heavy cream mixed together to serve along side.

Good luck and I hope this helps a little.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Lookin for some help from my friends by cjs (Sorry, I wasn't arou...)
Geeze - I think there's a rib roast in the freezer! May have to check this out.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
I'll be keeping you in my thoughts. Good luck this weekend!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Lookin for some help from my friends by esgunn (I'll be keeping you ...)
Linda, I would have had a difficult time restraining myself from slapping this man. Really, now, does he think that you go to the store, toss some prime rib in the cart, then bring it back and pop it in the oven?
I hope that it went well and you get a good night's sleep before continuing He** Weekend.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Lookin for some help from my friends by foodfiend (Linda, I would have ...)
I can't offer advice, only good wishes for a successful weekend!
  Re: Re: Lookin for some help from my friends by HomeCulinarian (I can't offer advice...)
"Really, now, does he think that you go to the store, toss some prime rib in the cart, then bring it back and pop it in the oven?"

Uh....yes, that is exactly what a lot of folks think.... But, somehow it does get done.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com