Cedar Planked Brie with berries
  Re: Re: Cedar Planked Brie with berries by Harborwitch (I dug this up becaus...)
You know, I only get wedges of brie here. Will that work? I guess I'd need more than one.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Cedar Planked Brie with berries by Gourmet_Mom (You know, I only get...)
I can't imagine why it wouldn't work. We were so tickled to go to Trader Joe's (thanks for the directions Roy) and find beautiful little goat brie rounds.

The sun came out and we went ahead with the appy - I'll post pictures tomorrow.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Cedar Planked Brie with berries by Harborwitch (I dug this up becaus...)
Thanks, sharon. I have small, thin planks, that when soaked become pliable. We use them to wrap around individual salmon pieces. I think I could use them to make individual appetizers.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Cedar Planked Brie with berries by Lorraine (Thanks, sharon. I h...)
Oh Lorraine that is a beautiful idea. Those would be so lovely at a "Ladies" event.

[Image: DSCN6055_edited-1.jpg]

[Image: DSCN6054_edited-1.jpg]

I garnished with tiny violets from our "garden".

[Image: DSCN6057_edited-1.jpg]

I have one more wheel of the brie.

Now I'm wondering - with the thinner planks could this be done on a flat top???
You got our storms last night - about 3 or 4 p.m. we had thunder going on! Mid-July, for heaven's sake.

"4. Remove plank from grill. Transfer cheese and fruit to serving plate. Drizzle honey over cheese and fruit" - I sure wouldn't bother transferring the cheese/fruit from the plank - love the presentation. (I'm sure you already thought of this, tho, Sharon.) I think a clump of grapes would find its way on the plank with all the other goodies, too.

P.S. - I didn't see there was a page two to this thread. Daphne, without the rind on a round of brie, you might get a runny mess before cheese is warm. Maybe wrapping a piece of foil around the wedge (like wrapping a filet with a bacon strip) would contain the cheese. worth a try.

Sharon, the dish is beautiful!! I bet it tasted as good as it looks.

Lorraine, I still have some of those you sent me (the thin pliable sheets) - wouldn't this be a great individual starter - using these ingredients or what we did when Sharon and Bob were here with the Parm, cheddar and grapes. Beautiful dinner starters........ hmmmmm
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cedar Planked Brie with berries by cjs (You got our storms l...)
I think you're right. I'd love to see this as something for a "Ladies Tournament" menu addition - one of these little darlings for a table of 4 would be perfect. Alas . . . it seems to be "burger & fries" with a draft beer?????
  Re: Re: Cedar Planked Brie with berries by cjs (You got our storms l...)
Wrap the brie in cherrywood smoked bacon???? It would have to be cooked but still pliable - or proscuitto??? I just think this would be incredible.
  Re: Re: Cedar Planked Brie with berries by Harborwitch (I think you're right...)
Just had another thought for you, Daphne - maybe use a ring mold to cut out a round of cheese from the wedge and leave in the ring mold while grilling???? I'll probably try this so it's more manageable for two than a large wedge and pigging out.

Sharon, wouldn't it be fun if you could surprise a table of four 'ladies' with a free hors d'oeuvre preceding their 'burger and fries'?????? I bet word would spread like wildfire.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cedar Planked Brie with berries by cjs (Just had another tho...)
I'm doubting I could get it past management (Tonya) - I'd love to try though. They don't have a grill that can be used - might have to convince them to get a grill pan they can put on the flat top.

Chad asked if I had restaurant experience - I'm not sure what's going on, I do know that their food costs are too high - the menu is overloaded with rather uninspiring food. Tonya and I made BBQ sauces for wings the other day - they were a big hit; a Sauza Chipotle and a Whiskey Sweet along with the traditional Buffalo sauce. The wings were such a hit that they're going to be used as a promotion.

One of the gals that's a member asked what the lunch special was the other day - I told her "cheeseburger & a draft". She said "yuck", but ordered it anyway. Kinda sad.
  Re: Re: Cedar Planked Brie with berries by Harborwitch (I'm doubting I could...)
Sharon, those photos should be in a magazine! I must remember to look for cedar planks... there are tons of wild blackberries in the fields now.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com