Huitlacoche
  Re: (...)
The driveway here on the farm runs alongside a cornfield. This has been a really wet summer, lots of rain and humidity. We were noticing that some of the corn looked funny - so Bob stopped and checked it out yesterday. It is Huitlacoche, AKA corn *****.

I know this is supposed to be a delicacy in Mexico and a friend described it as one of the best things she ever ate. Has anyone ever cooked it or eaten it??? Is it worth "poaching" some of it??? It's certainly not attractive, and I read that to actually cultivate it commercially in the US a permit is required - somehow I don't think this guy is raising it for the market
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Huitlacoche by Harborwitch (The driveway here on...)
When I was a kid we stole watermelons from the fields (at nite)--the farmers shot at us with rock salt loaded shotgun shells--we played a game with each other and both of us loved it--boy the salt stung if it got thru your clothes!!!

I doubt the corn farmer would even notice if you picked some ears. I don't want any.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Huitlacoche by Old Bay (When I was a kid we ...)
I'm just not sure about eating something called "corn *****". But . . . I wasn't ever going to eat a raw oyster either (I think a large quantity of mudslides with Hineken backs might have helped). Maybe a lot of tequila????
  Re: Re: Huitlacoche by Harborwitch (I'm just not sure ab...)
Not familiar with this one. The English name makes it sound less than appetising, but then some people scoff at mushrooms (and I scoff at asparagus).
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Huitlacoche by labradors (Not familiar with th...)
Sharon, in the deep, dark recesses of my mind, I have heard of this....and yes, it is supposed to be very tasty. Where the heck did I hear about this??? (only thing I can think of is a 'late night discussion' on C2C... )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Huitlacoche by cjs (Sharon, in the deep,...)
Perhaps I can do a search there?
  Re: Re: Huitlacoche by Harborwitch (Perhaps I can do a s...)
I did and nothing came up...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Huitlacoche by cjs (I did and nothing ca...)
Yeah, I looked too and nothing much there. I gather it can be frozen - should I stash some in the freezer to play with?
  Re: Re: Huitlacoche by Harborwitch (Yeah, I looked too a...)
[blockquote]Quote:

Yeah, I looked too and nothing much there. I gather it can be frozen - should I stash some in the freezer to play with? [/quote)

I don't freeze raw oysters. I wouldn't freeze "corn *****". Just my opinion.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Huitlacoche by labradors (Not familiar with th...)
Quote:

Not familiar with this one. The English name makes it sound less than appetising, but then some people scoff at mushrooms (and I scoff at asparagus).

And I, broccoli. Yet Picky loves broccoli and won't touch asparagus. He hates mushrooms, too, though.

What the heck is corn *****?

PJ
PJ