O.T. But, Need a Little Help
  Re: (...)
My poor old Farmers Market cookbook that I have been trying to get to and finish for the last 4 years has now, sigh, been put on the back burner once again.

Since we've gotten so deep into healthier eating, I'm going in a different direction with the next book. Farmers market ingrediens can be and most are healthy, but there are so many ways to go with them, that a lot of the ideas are not.

So, the working title for the next book is:

"a Chef's Journey...to Healthier Eating

A journey to find good flavors and good health while having fun in the kitchen."

And, it looks like this one will need a "Pantry" also, albiet a much smaller one than B.B. & Corn had.

Which brings me to the meat of this thread (sorry about all the rambling ) - I want to include brining in the "pantry section" and I would like to have you all give my your favorite herbs/spices/flavorings you add when you brine. I have my favorite, but I want to give some alternatives. So, if you'd all be so kind (and you don't mind sharing with the world), it would be much appreciated.

Plus, all of us may learn some new tricks.... thanks ahead of time.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: O.T. But, Need a Little Help by cjs (My poor old Farmers ...)
How exciting!

I don't really have a recipe - but my favorite to add to pork is Rosemary and Garlic! Pork Chops or Tenderloin.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: O.T. But, Need a Little Help by esgunn (How exciting! [br]...)
Jean, here is a question for you. I really like using marinades that are not high in salt (still have some salt) and not high in acid for longer term marinade. So the acid does not deteriorate the meat too much. I like to freeze the meat in the marinade.

Could these be considered brines too? Are am I just mucking up the waters?
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: O.T. But, Need a Little Help by esgunn (Jean, here is a ques...)
Let me get back to you over the weekend. I like the idea for the new book!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: O.T. But, Need a Little Help by Gourmet_Mom (Let me get back to y...)
I've only ever brined once and Ron didn't like it. Said it had a "hammy" taste, and it wasn't pork we were brining. However, I would like to try it again and maybe more specific instructions would help. So, once again, love your idea, Jean. And, I really like the title of the new book!

Looking forward to seeing all your recipes. My brother uses a brine for his turkey, so I'll ask him for his.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: O.T. But, Need a Little Help by Mare749 (I've only ever brine...)
Ok I'm gonna be a Debbie Downer But in healthy eating for those on low sodium brining is a big no no due to the salt.

I honestly think the problem with "healthy eating" is lack of flavor because most stay away from butter, salt, fats etc.

I also again must tout portion control being the biggest area of the book. So that being said if portions were correct in a brine recipe salt wouldn't be that big of an issue. Therefore to get my rambling back on track I would say fresh crushed garlic, fresh thyme, onion, whole peppercorns, bay leaves, brown sugar and sometimes red wine.
  Re: Re: O.T. But, Need a Little Help by DFen911 (Ok I'm gonna be a De...)
"problem with "healthy eating" is lack of flavor" - exactly, Denise, hence the tagline,

"A journey to find good flavors and good health while having fun in the kitchen."

and, the word "healthier" not "healthy" - I'm no Dr. (don't even play one on TV) and I'm not going to work with any medical folks on this - I just want to go the route of moderation. And you're right, portion control is the largest issue.

But, Derek's taste buds must be more sensitive than mine or maybe the product wasn't rinsed enough or whatever, but my tastes don't conflict with brining and the result is so worthwhile, in my opinion.

Erin, by definition brine is a 'salt' solution (with sugars optionally added), so I would say no, but the acids would break down the meat, as citrus can make meat/fish mushy if left too long. But, I'm getting into areas I'm just not qualified to answer...probably by the end of this book, I'll know a heck of a lot more.

Thanks all for your suggestions.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: O.T. But, Need a Little Help by cjs ("problem with "healt...)
Quote:

"problem with "healthy eating" is lack of flavor" -

That's why I always find it ironic that Kahi advertises as challenging people to see that their products don't "taste like cardboard," somce it WAS a Kashi product about which I, myself, first made such a comment, and I STILL think Kashi is terrible.

The other problem with "healthy eating" is that most (not all) of the "healthy" things one could buy are so ridiculously priced that I could never afford them without having someone else pay. That is why I consider most (not all) of the "healthy," "natural," and "organic" products - and their stores - to be little more than money-making scams, especially now that I live in a third-world country among some of the poorest people in the Western Hemisphere. Simply stated, the only people who can afford to eat the "healthy" products are the people who need them the least. Hence my contempt for that industry - and it IS an industry.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: O.T. But, Need a Little Help by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
O.K. folks, this is not the issue - healthy versus good food or damned food.

I'm working on the book I want to work on that is not a medical book nor is it a way of life book. It's going to be for those of us who forget moderation once in a while and get carried away. The challenge is to have fun in the kitchen while not going overboard. That's it - no more, no less.

Anymore ideas for brining flavors?????
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: O.T. But, Need a Little Help by cjs ("problem with "healt...)
Somewhere - I'll try to dig a little bit, in one of our boxes I have a copy of a booklet that I worked on with a Doctor who was specializing in nutrition. There were some great recipes in there, I'll see if I can find it.

As to the brine - cinnamon sticks, bay leaves, allspice and/or juniper berries (slightly crushed). Sometimes I use apple cider instead of water.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!