Favorite coleslaw recipe, please?
  Re: (...)
Need the kind that goes well with smoked pulled pork.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Favorite coleslaw recipe, please? by Mare749 (Need the kind that g...)
Top Secret Recipes
version of
Hard Rock CafeĀ®
Cole Slaw

by Todd Wilbur
Send this recipe

to a friend!
Click here.

If you want the authentic Hard Rock Cafe Pig Sandwich experience,
you just have to serve your clone of that pulled-pork sandwich with
this creamy, delicious cole slaw on the side. Even if you don't whip
up the sandwich, you'll want to dive into a batch of this secret slaw.
It's just too easy to make, and Who Wants to be a Millionaire? isn't on
tonight. But be sure to let the stuff hibernate in the fridge for a day
or two after you toss it. That's the only way to get the flavors up to
dancing the perfect tastebud mambo.

1 1/3 cups mayonnaise
3 tablespoons white vinegar
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons milk
dash salt
8 cups chopped cabbage (1 head)
1/2 cup shredded carrot

1. Combine all ingredients except the cabbage and carrots in a large bowl and blend
until smooth with an electric mixer.
2. Add cabbage and carrots and toss well.
3. Cover and chill overnight in the refrigerator. The flavors fully develop after 24
to 48 hours. (http://www.topsecretrecipes.com)
Serves 6 to 8 as a side dish.

When I make this, I don't use all the mayo the recipe calls for, I think it's too much. I just buy the shredded cabbage and carrots in a bag at the store. I also like to add celery seed to it, too.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Favorite coleslaw recipe, please? by BarbaraS (Top Secret Recipes[b...)
Barbara, thank you so much! Just didn't know where to begin. I've only ever used an Asian recipe and an Amish recipe. Both are a bit too sweet for pulled pork. This will be perfect!
Maryann

Re: Re: Favorite coleslaw recipe, please? by Mare749 (Barbara, thank you s...)
I use Splenda for the sugar part. And as I said before, I buy the "bagged" shredded slaw mix at the supermarket, so less mayo mix is needed as it's considerable less than the two of us can eat before it spoils. Two bags would probably warrant the whole recipe.

Don't forget the celery seed!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Favorite coleslaw recipe, please? by BarbaraS (I use Splenda for th...)
Thanks Barbara, I won't! I have to make a large batch of this, so got the food service size of already shredded cabbage. The amount of dressing will probably be fine for that amount, but I'll be sure to taste as I go. Thank you again! Have a great rest of the weekend!
Maryann

Re: Re: Favorite coleslaw recipe, please? by Mare749 (Thanks Barbara, I wo...)
Hey, they stole my recipe...LOL! I came in here to post how I do mine, but there's no need. I don't measure, just mix and sample. I also don't use the milk. One thing to think about, I do mine on the dry side. I put mine in the fridge for at least an hour before I use it. Keeping it a little dry, it won't get "soupy". Also, I put a lot of fresh ground pepper in mine.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Favorite coleslaw recipe, please? by Gourmet_Mom (Hey, they stole my r...)
I'd have posted earlier but we were out with the "family" today.

I don't really have a recipe either - just cabbage, carrots, bell pepper (diff.colors if avail), shredded carrots, onions (diced red and sliced green). Dressing is mayo, rice wine vinegar, horseradish (lots), lime juice, salt, pepper, and sometimes dill weed. I used to use cider vinegar but switched the minute I discovered rice wine vinegar. It's all by sight, by taste, and mood.

I've never used sugar, pineapple, or raisins in mine Coleslaw here is soooo sweet and goopy I just can't go there.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Favorite coleslaw recipe, please? by Harborwitch (I'd have posted earl...)
I prefer mine to any other but I know most folks like it with Mayo and lots of other stuff. I just use cabbage, shredded carrots, rice vinegar (unseasoned), splenda and Miracle whip. I don't like it soupy or too sweet.
  Re: Re: Favorite coleslaw recipe, please? by Cubangirl (I prefer mine to any...)
I like everyone's ideas. Thank you all. Since I had to do all my prep today, I went with Barbara's recipe and put it in the frig overnight. I have to say, it sure did taste mighty good when I tried it. This makes me want to experiment with some of the other ideas too. I've only ever made coleslaw with sugar, vinegar and celery seed, or the asian type that is similar, but you add sesame seed oil.

My house smells so good tonight.
Maryann

Re: Re: Favorite coleslaw recipe, please? by Mare749 (I like everyone's id...)
Glad you liked it! I like Sharon's suggestion of rice wine vinegar! The hubby really loves KFC cole slaw, so I don't make this too often, usually only for friends.

Barbara