Contest
  Re: (...)
Some of you may be interested in this. There is a contest available to teachers and school volunteers and my school wants me to enter. The top prize is $20,000 for the entrant and another $20,000 for the school. I explained that most of what I make is from a recipe, but then I got to thinking. Like last night...I combined about 4 different recipes to make my Beef and Broccoli with Sweet and Sour Rice. I think we've discussed this before. When does a recipe become an "original"?

Here's what the contest rules states: "The Submission must be the original work of entrant and not previously published. Submission must not infringe the copyright, trademark, privacy, publicity or other intellectual property rights of any person or entity."
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Contest by Gourmet_Mom (Some of you may be i...)
With the ease of finding existing recipes on the Internet, I'd avoid just modifying a recipe.

Dinner recipes are NOT difficult to create, especially if you already know what combinations of flavours you like from previous experience. A recipe from a book, magazine or website may be okay as a baseline for ingredient selection, but go ahead and play around with the quantities and proportions. Just remember that it's okay to use a lot of some things (e.g. basil), but there are other things that require more care (e.g. thyme, sage, cayenne, chipotle).

Of course, also remember to MEASURE ALL THE INGREDIENTS and WRITE DOWN WHAT YOU DO. It may not make too much of a difference, day to day, but it's critical if you want to give the recipe to someone else or reproduce it exactly, for yourself.

Good luck and have fun!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Contest by labradors (With the ease of fin...)
a list of ingredients cannot be copyrighted, but methods can. So, after combining ingredients from numerous other recipes, I'd suggest throwing away the directions and just sit down and write how you do it in excactly your words, style and order.

What do you think, Labs?

GO FOR IT AND WIN!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Contest by cjs (a list of ingredient...)
For these contests, actual copyright is not that important - just whether or not the recipe has been "previously published." Thus, even a webpage with just a list of ingredients that isn't subject to copyright, has already appeared "in print" and would not be usable, as is, for the contest.
  Re: Re: Contest by cjs (a list of ingredient...)
"a list of ingredients cannot be copyrighted," That's what I was wondering. I mean, how could it be? If you could copyright them, how could anyone ever come up with another recipe for say, marinara?

I've got until November 30th and can submit as many recipes I want. I figure I'll write up a few and post them at school. I ain't doing all the work...LOL! They'll have to test the recipes for ease of execution, availability of ingredients, originality and taste.

AND I'll probably be bouncing ideas off of you guys....especially the originality part!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Contest by Gourmet_Mom ("a list of ingredien...)
"For these contests, actual copyright is not that important - just whether or not the recipe has been "previously published." Thus, even a webpage with just a list of ingredients that isn't subject to copyright, has already appeared "in print" and would not be usable, as is, for the contest." POOH! That blew the wind out of my sails and presents another question.

What if I reproduce something that is already "in print" and don't realize it? Can I get in trouble? Or would they just reject the recipe?
Daphne
  Re: Re: Contest by Gourmet_Mom ("a list of ingredien...)
BE CAREFUL...

Do NOT post ANY of those recipe here, or anywhere else, until AFTER the contest is over. Otherwise, if the judging committee does select something you've submitted and happens to search the Internet as part of seeing if the recipe is original or not, they'd find it. Even though it MAY still be yours and original, it would be "previously published," and subject to disqualification.

Edit: To answer your question: they would probably just reject the recipe.
  Re: Re: Contest by labradors (BE CAREFUL...[br][br...)
"Do NOT post ANY of those recipe here, or anywhere else, until AFTER the contest is over. " Yea, I figured when asking for help/ideas/suggestions, I'd just pm or email.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Contest by Gourmet_Mom ("Do NOT post ANY of ...)
I'd be glad to be a tester/taster for you.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Contest by cjs (I'd be glad to be a ...)
I do not agree that if the list of ingredients has been published it would disqualify the recipe. A list of ingredients does not make a recipe. Books get copyrighted using the exact list of ingredients. Any modification, addition or subtraction would make it a new recipe, including changing cooking temps, times, order for procedure, etc. I think most of us create original recipes most of the time we cook. Except when I test recipes for Cook's, I seem to always modify the original somehow, adding more garlic, using the microwave to melt, using an immersion blender instead of a stand, adding a favorite herb or spice, changing type of onion, pepper, etc. Heck, even my own adaptations, I seldom make them the same way twice. I think the not being published in its entirety is the key part, including in blogs, forums, chats, etc.