Gewurztraminer Port
  Re: (...)
Bonair Winery, part of Rattlesnake Hills appelation, here in WA - stopped and tried their wines yesterday.

http://bonairwine.com/

Their Chardonnay, '08 was really good (and I'm really not a fan), but very lightly oaked.

Cab Franc - blend of 78% Cab Franc and 22% Cab Sauv, just wonderful!

And the '07 Pinot Noir was excellent also.

The favorite was their Gewurztraminer Port made with Touriga grapes (had not heard of these before). We were lucky to have the owner pouring for us and yakking and Roy picked his brain technically and I picked his brain food matching.

He suggested this port served with divinity! First thing out of his mouth. How fun to work divinity into a dessert - LORRAINE/GIL!!!!! Also, he agreed with me that it would work with a lemon dessert also.

And, as a refreshing side drink - combine with a little seltzer and a twist of lemon. He also mentioned the port does not work with lime, but it does with lemon....strange.

Anyway, a new challenge here - a dessert using divinity??????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Gewurztraminer Port by cjs (Bonair Winery, part ...)
Interesting - divinity. It's not a sweet that I cared for as a kid. I'll have to revisit that. The wine sounds intriguing.

You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Gewurztraminer Port by Harborwitch (Interesting - divini...)
Sounds like a fun visit. Now I'm going to ask a stupid question. What's the difference between the base of a pavlova and divinity? As I remember, divinity is a cross between a meringue and whipped marshmallow?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Gewurztraminer Port by Gourmet_Mom (Sounds like a fun vi...)
Here's a recipe for divinity - I don't make meringues (well, I do the pie topping, but not the other)

Divinity

2 2/3 cups sugar
2/3 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup water
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla
2/3 cup coarsely chopped nuts

Cook sugar, corn syrup and water (use 1 tablespoon less water on humid days) in 2-quart saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved. Continue cooking, without stirring, to 260ºF on candy thermometer or until small amount of mixture dropped into very cold water forms a hard ball that holds its shape but is pliable.

Beat egg whites in medium bowl with electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form. Continue beating while pouring hot syrup in a thin stream into egg whites, beating constantly on medium speed. (For best results, use electric stand mixer, not a portable handheld mixer since beating time is about 10 minutes and mixture is thick.)

Add vanilla. Beat until mixture holds its shape and becomes slightly dull. (Mixture may become too stiff for mixer.) Gently stir in nuts.

Drop mixture from buttered spoon onto waxed paper. Let stand at room temperature at least 12 hours, turning candies over once, until candies feel firm. Store in airtight container.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Gewurztraminer Port by cjs (Here's a recipe for ...)
I remember Mom making these when I was a kid, and how easy it could be to screw them up. Something about humidity, I think?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Gewurztraminer Port by Gourmet_Mom (I remember Mom makin...)
humidity plays a large part in these.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Gewurztraminer Port by cjs (humidity plays a lar...)
Wait a sec, has anyone tried the Foris Pinto Noir? It's from Oregon. It's great and I use it all the time for the classic Beef Bourguinon recipe from Food Network.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Gewurztraminer Port by BarbaraS (Wait a sec, has anyo...)
Haven't tried Foris, Barbara, but Oregon sure does some wonderful Pinots. Will look for it.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Gewurztraminer Port by cjs (Haven't tried Foris,...)
Well, I'm up for the challenge! I like making meringues, and have some spare time coming up. Prince Michel makes a port wine, so that may be a good pairing.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Gewurztraminer Port by Lorraine (Well, I'm up for the...)
Lorraine, this was a white port - Gewurztraminer Port made with Touriga grapes - I'd never tried one before. It was delicious.
www.achefsjourney.com