Saturday's Dinner - 10/16?
  Re: (...)
So, what is on everyone's menu for tonight?

We ended up with company yesterday afternoon along with a few glasses of wine and decided to skip cooking. Had a great dinner at Soba Noodle, a local Thai restaurant that is such a great place.

So, tonight is the cherry cola chix pizza and I'll play with the corn stuffed poblanos.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Saturday's Dinner - 10/16? by cjs (So, what is on every...)
No cooking tonight. Going to a concert downtown, so we'll eat out. Probably bar food since "Lola" is a bit pricey for my unemployed pocketbook. I'll make an exception when Sharon finally makes it out this way....
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Saturday's Dinner - 10/16? by cjs (So, what is on every...)
Geez Jean! I was going to start this thread to give you a break!

I'm making an America's Test Kitchen recipe called Crisp-Skin High-Roast Butterflied Chicken with Potatoes.

I buy an Empire kosher chicken from Wegman's so I don't have to brine it. Then I cut out the backbone out and remove as many rib bones as I can and flatten the bird. This is how I butterfly it. I loosen the skin all around the chicken and stuff with flavored butter - today will be garlic paste and butter, maybe some citrus juice mixed in. I position it on the broiler rack with the wings tucked under and the legs pushed up between thigh and breast. The skin must be patted dry.

I use my v-slicer to slice about 3 large potatos. Toss them with a little oil, salt, and pepper and line the broiler pan with non-stick foil, then put the potatos in the pan and the chicken on the rack above it.

Preheat the oven to 500 degrees. Roast for about 20 minutes, then turn it around and roast another 20-25 minutes until it registers 160 degrees.

Man does it make a crisp skin and the flavored butter drips down to the potatos and they come out nicely crispy as well.

Not for the faint of heart, but it's soooo good!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner - 10/16? by BarbaraS (Geez Jean! I was go...)
Boy does that sound good, Barbara!

I'm finally going to make the C@H version of Bulgogi. I just looked at the recipe again and realized it doesn't marinate. HMMMMMM? I am soooo tempted, but no, I will do it as it's written. I hope I don't regret it. Maybe I better go look at that last thread and see if the review mentioned marinating next time.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner - 10/16? by Gourmet_Mom (Boy does that sound ...)
Everything is sounding good today - even Maryann's bar food!

Barbara, hope you'll start this thread anytime you want - if I don't do it the first thing, I forget....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner - 10/16? by Mare749 (No cooking tonight. ...)
Quote:

No cooking tonight. Going to a concert downtown, so we'll eat out. Probably bar food since "Lola" is a bit pricey for my unemployed pocketbook. I'll make an exception when Sharon finally makes it out this way....

Awwwwww!

I just put 4 lbs. of wings in the crockpot, and I'm thinking about a balsamic roasted strawberry salad, and the noodles as Jean suggested.

Bob is going to make some of his incredible new bloody mary's (recipe and photo to follow).
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner - 10/16? by Harborwitch ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Hubby was making sauces with the tomatoes, and made a butter tomato sauce that goes with a baked dish with chicken, pasta and a garlic sauce. Have the chicken in the pot now. Young daughter is baking a cake and yakking!
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner - 10/16? by HomeCulinarian (Hubby was making sau...)
Well, POOH! The Bulgogi is on hold. After spending the afternoon clothes shopping, which I hate, and grocery shopping, then a marathon phone call from Mom, it's too late to make it. William made venison, split pea soup, and mustard greens (from the garden) for the guys today. They ate all the venison, but the soup and mustard greens came home. Between that and leftover Chicken Lo Mein, we won't go hungry.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner - 10/16? by Gourmet_Mom (Well, POOH! The Bul...)
Well I did the 4lb bag of wings. Bob thought there wasn't enough sauce so I tripled the sauce. Got ready to start the finishing. NO CORNSTARCH!!! Wha!!! Gaaaack! Punt! Put wings in a baking dish, poured sauce over and put in the oven. It was good - not a nice thick glossy sauce - there are maybe 6 wings left and a couple cups of sauce. Uh, that didn't work - but OMG talk about good!!! Those wings will be on the menu a lot!!! We did have a little pasta with them.

Now - the salad. Somewhere I saw a recipe for a salad with balsamic roasted strawberries. I couldn't find it - but figured what the heck. I wish I'd kept track of what I was doing - sliced strawberries, about a Tbs of cane sugar, a few Tbs of balsamic - about 40 minutes at 350. I let them cool at room temp. A bag of baby spinach, and baby field greens, 1/4 c. toasted pine nuts, about 1/3 c. bleu cheese. I stirred a couple Tbs of hazelnut oil into the strawberries and balsamic and tossed that with the salad.

That had to be the best salad in ages (Denise - better than the beet salad!). Our dinner guest, who's not fond of salad, pigged out on it. This will be a go to salad!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner - 10/16? by Harborwitch (Well I did the 4lb b...)
Salad does sound good, Sharon.
www.achefsjourney.com