Do You Thank the Kitchen?
  Re: (...)
If I'm impressed with the food in a restaurant, I always send a note to the kitchen thanking them for a particular dish. More times than not, someone from the kitchen will come out and talk and if not, a note back from them is just as nice. Got this yesterday -

"I'm sorry we never had the chance to meet, and I didn't mean to take so long to send you this e-mail the weeks just go by so fast. I would like to thank you for the kind words you left on your card while joining us here for lunch, my team was thrilled to here that you enjoyed your meal.
kind regard,

Andrew Dickinson
Executive Chef
Blue Crab Bar & Grill,
Coast Victoria Harbourside Hotel"

And, more often than not, they will remember you when you go back....if they are still there (we are a transient lot in this business )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Do You Thank the Kitchen? by cjs (If I'm impressed wit...)
What a cool idea. I never thought of that. I'll be sure to do that the next time I eat a really good meal out.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Do You Thank the Kitchen? by cjs (If I'm impressed wit...)
That's a very nice thing to do. We have verbally conveyed our thanks - but this is a much nicer idea.

Ok! More reason to get our "retirement cards" made! Thank you for the reminder.

I do have to mention that I "thanked" your kitchen for the lovely time fixing that mushroom mousse. LOL
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Do You Thank the Kitchen? by Harborwitch (That's a very nice t...)
"I do have to mention that I "thanked" your kitchen for the lovely time fixing that mushroom mousse. LOL"

Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Do You Thank the Kitchen? by cjs ("I do have to mentio...)
Like Sharon, I have only done this verbally, but I do like your idea, Jean. The people working in the kitchen don't even get to see the smiling faces that are enjoying their hard work.

After our wonderful visit with Lorraine and Gil, Ron and I spent the night at a Wyndham hotel near Richmond. The front desk told us they would have a buffet breakfast in the morning. We weren't expecting much, but were pleasantly surprised at the nice spread they had prepared. Everything was hot and tasty and quickly replenished. When we were checking out, I went looking for the chef/kitchen manager and thanked him in person. He absolutely glowed with pleasure!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Do You Thank the Kitchen? by Mare749 (Like Sharon, I have ...)
Our first night in Montreal, after an incredible meal, he asked the waitress who was left in the kitchen. He asked her to send them the drink of their choice (pastry chef and dishwasher were the only ones left). the pastry Chef landed at our table with a plate of desserts, and glasses of Ice Wine for us. Every time we ate there, we got free desserts, soup samples, wine etc. A little bit of thanks goes a long ways.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Do You Thank the Kitchen? by Lorraine (Our first night in M...)
We done this a couple of times also, Lorraine and it is fun the response you get!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Do You Thank the Kitchen? by cjs (We done this a coupl...)
Jean,

Usually, I do, but verbally to the waitstaff to "Give my compliments to the Chef.".

There was one instance were I told the waitress how much I enjoyed the Osso Buco and mentioned that I make the same sauce at home for other things. The chef actually came out and over to our table and asked who "I worked for". I just explained to him I knew it was the mire poix he cooked with and stick blended. He smiled, guilty by all counts. Since it was a BYOB, I offeded him a glass, but he declined.

And whenever we do go to a BYOB and the Chef or manager comes over to seed how things are going, I never fail to offer a pull.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Do You Thank the Kitchen? by BarbaraS (Jean,[br][br]Usually...)
A lot of times the waitstaff gets too busy to pass on any personal message to the particular line cook that might have made your dish so they never hear anything.

We were lucky enough to have a tour of Bouchon's kitchen in Las Vegas and the line cook who had cooked my dish happened to be making another one and I just stood there and he walked me thru making the most wonderful sweetbreads!!!! What a fun memory.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Do You Thank the Kitchen? by cjs (A lot of times the w...)
I love this idea!! Do you carry special note cards when you go out for this purpose? I think I'll have some printed up. This is a great idea!