Maraschino Liqueur
  Re: (...)
For our dinner tomorrow, I made a Frozen Almond Mousse that called for maraschino. Couldn't imagine it wanted that red syrup, so I googled maraschino and then headed to the liquor store to pick up a bottle.

Tasted it before using, very interesting flavor. The mousse mixture was really delicious. I had never heard of it before or used it in drinks or cooking. Now I have a whole bottle to play with. Any suggestions?

[Image: 100px-Luxardo_Maraschino.jpg]
  Re: Maraschino Liqueur by HomeCulinarian (For our dinner tomor...)
Oh, my goodness. Isn't it interesting how things come together?

Check out Jean's thread on Recipe Development. I think we could generate some pretty interesting dessert "shooter" ideas using this.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Maraschino Liqueur by Gourmet_Mom (Oh, my goodness. Is...)
Had about a cup of excess mousse that didn't fit in the mold so I froze it separately and we ate it when we got home. YUM! Here's the recipe.

Almond or hazelnut frozen mousse

Serves 6

1 cup blanched almonds or hazelnuts (I used almonds)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 1/2 cups heavy cream
2 eggs, separated
3/4 cup sifted confectioner's sugar
2 T maraschino

Make praline. Toast nuts lightly in a dry frying pan, shaking the pan. Add sugar and stir until melted and golden brown. Pour onto a lightly oiled baking sheet and, when cool, break into pieces and blend for a few seconds to pulverize. (I put the cooled praline in a ziplock bag and used my meat mallet to pulverize.)

To make the mousse, beat the cream until thick. Beat the egg yolks with 1/4 cup of confectioner's sugar until pale. Beat the whites until stiff, then add the rest of the confectioner's sugar and beat until the mixture stands in stiff peaks. Fold the yolks into the cream, the fold in the egg whites and the praline and stir in the maraschino.

Line a mold with foil, spoon in the cream mixture, level and cover with foil Freeze for 24 hours. Leave to stand for a few minutes before unmolding. (I used my trusty old Tupperware Jello ring mold.)

From: Claudia Roden, The Good Food of Italy, Region by Region.
  Re: Re: Maraschino Liqueur by HomeCulinarian (Had about a cup of e...)
That mousse sound really good, Jeannette.

Here's some ideas to 'think on'

Found this on someone's blog:
To make your Sweetie Pie cocktail (the below recipe’s from Good Spirits, by the way) really stand out to your sweetie pie, let me also drop a few state-focused suggestions. First, if you can get it, I think the newish Dry Fly gin works wonders in this drink (it’s from Washington State’s first distillery, and we’re darn proud of it--with good reason, as it brings a bright juniper flavor that mixes nicely).

And secondly, go with Tillen Farms Merry Maraschino cherries (also from WA). These yummy maraschinos are the first “clean” maraschino cherries with stems, as they’re sweetened with pure cane sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup and don’t contain artificial colors, flavors, dyes, preservatives, or sulfites.

Ice cubes
1 1/2 ounces gin
3/4 ounce sweet vermouth
3/4 ounce maraschino liqueur
1/2 ounce simple syrup
Maraschino cherry, for garnish

1. Fill a cocktail shaker halfway full with ice cubes. Add the gin, sweet vermouth, and maraschino liqueur, and simple syrup. Shake well.
2. Add the cherry to a cocktail glass or pretty cordial. Strain the mix into the glass.

--------

Sub the liqueur for the liquids in this pie?
Cherry Hazelnut Crunch Pie

1/2 10-ounce package pie crust mix
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
3/4 cup roasted Oregon hazelnuts -- chopped
1 ounce semi-sweet chocolate -- grated
4 teaspoons water
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 8-ounce jar red maraschino cherries
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/4 cup water
Dash salt
1 tablespoon Kirsch -- optional
1 quart vanilla ice cream

Combine pie crust mix with sugar, nuts and chocolate using a pastry blender. Mix water with vanilla. Sprinkle over crumb mixture and mix until well blended. Turn into a well-greased 9-inch pie plate; press mixture firmly against bottom and side. Bake in a 375º oven for 15 minutes. Cool on rack.

Cover and let stand several hours or overnight. Drain cherries, reserving syrup. Chop cherries coarsely. Blend syrup with cornstarch, 1/4 cup water and salt in saucepan; add cherries. Cook on low until thickened and clear. Remove from heat and cool thoroughly. Add Kirsch and chill. Spoon ice cream into pie shell. Pour cherry glaze over pie and serve immediately.

Source: "Dundee Hazelnuts & The Oregon Hazelnut Industry"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This whole recipe sounds completely off the wall, but why not?

Hawaiian Cocktail Sausages – 20 servings

1 1/2 packages heat & serve sausages
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup green pepper -- cut into small pieces
1 cup pineapple chunks
1/2 cup maraschino cherries
1/2 cup Big Chief brown sugar

Brown sausages and cut into pieces.

Boil the cornstarch, Big Chief brown sugar, vinegar, pineapple juice, water, and green pepper for 5 minutes. Add 1 cup of pineapple chunks, cherries, and sausages.

This can be made ahead and frozen or refrigerated before use.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

And, lastly –

Cherry-Nog – 16 servings (1/2 cup each)

1 quart cherry juice blend -- chilled
1 quart dairy eggnog
Maraschino cherries
Whipped topping
Grated nutmeg

In a large bowl, combine cherry juice blend and eggnog; mix well. Let chill until ready to serve. Garnish each serving with a maraschino cherry, dollop of whipped topping and a little nutmeg.

Oh, one more -
Mix some in the cream cheese ice cream recipe?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com