No Dinner Thread Today - Will Gather For L/Os
  Re: (...)
Have a great turkey, ham, duck, whatever day. (and since Don is not coming, we may have leftovers!)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: No Dinner Thread Today - Will Gather For L/Os by cjs (Have a great turkey,...)
Well I would like to ask if anyone is trying anything new for this special meal day?

I'm cooking yams for the first time! (no molasses)
  Re: Re: No Dinner Thread Today - Will Gather For L/Os by DFen911 (Well I would like to...)
I love yams. I hope you enjoy them. Are you just baking them, or doing something more?

I'm cooking Brussels sprouts for the first time ever. I hated them as a child, but haven't eaten them since. I love cabbage, though, so we though we should try to expand our veggie tastes. Of course, I'm shredding them and sauteing them with bacon and butter, so they will have a bit of help!
  Re: Re: No Dinner Thread Today - Will Gather For L/Os by DFen911 (Well I would like to...)
We're doing an apple fennel stuffing and a Marcus Samuelson veggie with orange glazed carrots and parsnips.

Sunday I'm trying two more new ones: Brussels sprouts with bacon & pommegranite seeds. Sounds life fun for a pot luck.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: No Dinner Thread Today - Will Gather For L/Os by Harborwitch (We're doing an apple...)
Karyn! I didn't know you guys ride! Derek and I ride a Goldwing all over for our vacation

I'm going to do them in about 1" dice and coat em with a bit of olive oil and honey and roast them.
  Re: Re: No Dinner Thread Today - Will Gather For L/Os by DFen911 (Karyn! I didn't know...)
Denise, you can never go wrong with roasted veggies. I bet the were delicious.

With regards to the bike, both of us rode when we were younger, but two boys and a lack of money meant we've had an old Yamaha in our basement for 20 years (it's still there...gotta figure out what to do with our project bike). After the boys started skydiving this summer we decided that we should play, too!

We bought a new bike and have been having a ball. The North Georgia/North Carolina/Tennessee mountains are so much fun to ride. I'm sure you have wonderful places to ride in SC, too. We love the Pacific Coast Highway.

Back on topic, the Brussels sprouts were delicious. I think coring them took out the bitterness that I hated so much when I was younger.
  Re: Re: No Dinner Thread Today - Will Gather For L/Os by karyn (Denise, you can neve...)
Nothing new here. Family from Oklahoma City requested a traditional Southern Thanksgiving like MaMa used to have. I did do the Cranberry Jello Salad, which was new for me. It was a big hit.

Oh, I totally forgot! I had been eyeing Pioneer Woman's post about Parker House Rolls for days. Last night as I fell asleep, I decided I'd start them this morning and hope for the best. I'm glad I did! They were FABULOUS! I have half the dough left (at Mom's) and need to figure out what to do about it.

I am so glad I made these! Bo, my cousin's 14 year old, and a picky eater, was asked what his favorite part of the meal was. It was these rolls! Although, with that much butter, how could they NOT be great!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: No Dinner Thread Today - Will Gather For L/Os by Gourmet_Mom (Nothing new here. F...)
Well, I tried a new recipe for Scallion pancakes to go with the duck, but still haven't found one that I really like. We have some leftover duck, so I think I'll try againi today.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: No Dinner Thread Today - Will Gather For L/Os by cjs (Well, I tried a new ...)
Daphne, I did a search, but since I never seem to have any luck doing one, came up with nothing. Could you give me the link to that Pioneer woman blog? I want to see that roll recipe. Thanks.

ETA: Never mind, I found it!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: No Dinner Thread Today - Will Gather For L/Os by Mare749 (Daphne, I did a sear...)
Remember, you asked for it. Don't faint when you see the amount of butter. To add insult to injury, I didn't have milk, but I DID have half and half, so I subbed that for the milk!

PW's Parker House Rolls

The printable recipe is toward the bottom of the post.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.