Cooking with Alcohol Q
  Re: (...)
Does alcohol really stay in the recipe after it's cooked? I have to know since I'm going to make that Chocolate Espresso Torte (Issue #7), and I sub some of the Espresso with Chambord Liquor. One of the birthday goers is recently AA and I don't want to introduce something that may compromise her recovery.

Please advise. I'll just use the espresso, but the raspberry liquor is a great addition.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Cooking with Alcohol Q by BarbaraS (Does alcohol really ...)
95% is cooked out. My Aunt Mary was a recovering alcoholic for years--I always asked her if it was ok to add--she said it was ok. I think it is an individual decision and usually AA members are quite honest about their concerns. It depends on your friends degree of recovery and control. My Aunt always insisted to be offered a drink so she could say --"No thank you, thank you for asking"--great gal!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Cooking with Alcohol Q by BarbaraS (Does alcohol really ...)
I don't know know, Barbara. The flavor will be there, but the actual alcohol will not....although, that is my knowledge of things sautéed or flambéed. Baked, I couldn't say for sure. If you add the liquor AFTER it has cooked, then it's still there...that much I DO know.

My final advice...leave it out. I'm reminded of the adage: "When in doubt, throw it out." The same could be said here: "When in doubt, LEAVE it out."
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Cooking with Alcohol Q by Gourmet_Mom (I don't know know, B...)
No, don't leave it out, the residual is there, but so little, that it should be alright - but, you might call the person and ask on the q.t.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cooking with Alcohol Q by Gourmet_Mom (I don't know know, B...)
I would look for Torani syrup - they even have a sugar free raspberry syrup. I think early AA is problematic - but you could always ask. But I do love the idea of chocolate and raspberry!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Cooking with Alcohol Q by Harborwitch (I would look for Tor...)
Technically, cooking does NOT eliminate all of the alcohol but, as Jean said, the amount that remains is so small that it would not be problematic.

On the other hand, I disagree about leaving it in, in this case, and here is my reasoning: Although the amount of alcohol that remains probably isn't even enough to get a mosquito buzzed, the TASTE of the liquor is still there. While that is wonderful for people without addiction issues, MAYBE it would NOT be for a recovering alcoholic since the flavour, itself, COULD trigger some memory, craving or whatever, even if the alcohol HAD burned off 100%.

Please note, however, that I have absolutely ZERO experience with alcoholics, so I don't know if that's how they work, or not, but it does seem as though it COULD be a potential stumbling block.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Cooking with Alcohol Q by labradors (Technically, cooking...)
Labs, you put into words what I was thinking. If I was an alcoholic, the flavor of hazelnut or Kahlua...even coffee would easily set me off. One dessert with Kahlua, and I'd be tempted to have a black Russian right now.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Cooking with Alcohol Q by Gourmet_Mom (Labs, you put into w...)

As mentioned I believe honesty is the best way - I would ask the

Recovering AA first. - I am sure they would let you know how they

feel.

Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Cooking with Alcohol Q by mjkcooking ([br]As mentioned I b...)
The Chocolate Espresso torte is delicious without the alcohol. I would just leave it out for this event and then you don't have to ask or worry about creating a challenge for your friend.
  Re: Re: Cooking with Alcohol Q by HomeCulinarian (The Chocolate Espres...)
Thanks for all the input! I will definitely leave out the Chambord and just go with the full Espresso. UNLESS!! I see a raspberry chocolate bar I can incorporate into the mix. That would be cool. I generally use Ghiradelli bars for this recipe.

The raspberry sauce (coulis?) they suggest is a perfect dessert compliment to the torte. It makes a perfect drizzle factor and tastes wonderful. It's also great for cheesecakes.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.