What's for Dinner, Thursday, 4/7??
  Re: (...)
What's on everyone's menu for tonight?

Roy's bottling at the winery today, so I don't have to stop prepping to make mid-day dinner, which will be nice. Later, probably some soup.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday, 4/7?? by cjs (What's on everyone's...)
Well it is a gym night and it is cold still. 35 and Sleet here this morning. When is Spring going to get here? Oh yeah - they said tomorrow and then the clouds and rain are back.

So, mexican black beans and pork in the slow cooker.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday, 4/7?? by esgunn (Well it is a gym nig...)
I'm sorry you're so cold, Erin and Jean! Spring has arrived in Atlanta (again)...we're in the low 70s today, and should see the 80s by the weekend. I LOVE this time of year!

Grilled hamburgers and a tossed salad for dinner here.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday, 4/7?? by karyn (I'm sorry you're so ...)
It's been a long two weeks with very little break, so I'm taking tomorrow off! (I just had to throw that in.) I worked a ball game this afternoon and haven't been home long. I'm just throwing together some spaghetti and a salad. Sure wish I had some good bread. But I will Saturday!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday, 4/7?? by Gourmet_Mom (It's been a long two...)
Finally - Asparagus soup! It's strange weather here - the nasty stuff seems to be going around us. Although it's COLD!!!

OK we just finished; beautiful asparagus soup with a garnish of blanched asparagus tips and a white truffle oil drizzle. MMMMMMMMMMMMM WOW! Blew myself away!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday, 4/7?? by Harborwitch (Finally - Asparagus ...)
Sharon, I think you and Bob are going to be blown away at the bounty of beautiful veggies and fruits that grow in eastern WA - it's outstanding.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday, 4/7?? by cjs (Sharon, I think you ...)
Jean we are soooooo looking forward to it! I've already been told where a great farmstand is located that also sells grass fed beef!

We've still got 3 fat bunches of Asparagus that we brought up from CA. We've kept the ends wet and it's in a cooler with ice. Still fresher looking than the stuff in the store. I nearly choked when I saw 2.97 a lb! I paid 15.00 for a case - and have made friends with lot of it.

BTW - that bit of truffle oil just made the soup!!!!
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday, 4/7?? by Harborwitch (Jean we are soooooo ...)
"BTW - that bit of truffle oil just made the soup!!!!"

I bet it did! YUM! In hopes that I'll catch some on sale soon, what recipe did you use?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday, 4/7?? by Gourmet_Mom ("BTW - that bit of t...)
Daphne I didn't really have a recipe - Francois didn't share the recipe - just method.

1 chopped onion sauteed until soft in 2 Tbs butter
3 small potatoes peeled and diced tossed with the onions & butter

Put onions and butter in a 5 qt pot with 1 qt. chicken stock and 2 cups milk or water. Cover and cook until soft. Season with salt & pepper to taste.

Trim asparagus and cut into 1" pieces - reserve tips
Add the asparagus to the pot and continue to simmer until the asparagus is tender.

Meanwhile blanch the tips until just barely tender.

Using a stick blender or regular blender puree the soup. Return the soup to the pot and add:
1/2 c. heavy cream
juice of 1/4 lemon
3 drops of jalapeno sauce (optional)
Return to the heat until hot. Serve with garnish of asparagus tips and drizzle with white truffle oil.

I'm thinking I might make up another batch and freeze - Jean do you think that will work okay - if I leave out the cream????
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday, 4/7?? by Harborwitch (Daphne I didn't real...)
I think it would work fine. Sounds good too.
www.achefsjourney.com