Chicago Getaway
  Re: (...)
Here are photos from our weekend in Chicago. Friday at Fogo de Chao was a fun experience. In addition to the fabulous salad bar that deserved more than one visit, we each had a caipirinha - sort of a Brazilian mojito. The food was great, only complaint was that we felt a bit rushed. Saturday morning we went to an ING corner cafe... guess you can get coffee and a mortgage in one stop. It was very inexpensive for that area of the city. That's where we found the motorcycle.

Saturday noon to 3 was the tasting and cooking event at Spiaggia. I volunteered to cook for our table and had a blast. Had a chance to visit privately with Chef Mantuano while the staff was replacing the gas canister on our little cook station. We talked about his wife looking at colleges that weekend with their son. My friend took my photo with him, but I don't have it yet. He's really approachable! The food was just wonderful and the balsamic tasting was the most interesting part.

The Saturday dinner we went to Sun Wah BBQ on the far north side. It was great fun! The young man doing the carving could slice and plate a duck in 1.5 minutes! We couldn't believe the cost! For nine people, we had 2 ducks, which also comes with soup, fried rice and noodles made from the duck carcass, won ton & egg roll appetizers, a bok choy and Chinese broccoli dish and a mixed seafood dish, 4 beers ... all for $145! With tip, it was less than $20/person... and there were leftovers to take home.

Saturday morning, we went with my son and his GF to Uncommon Ground. No photos, but I had a great Eggs Bennie. Then walking back to our son's place, I bought an appple tarte from some street vendor nuns outside a catholic church. The tarte is already gone... it was really good!

Photos on Facebook link
  Re: Chicago Getaway by HomeCulinarian (Here are photos from...)
That looks like so much fun, Jeannette! I'm glad you had such a good time.
  Re: Re: Chicago Getaway by karyn (That looks like so m...)
What a great time it appears you had! Great pictures!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Chicago Getaway by Gourmet_Mom (What a great time it...)
I was just drooling while I was looking thru the pictures on facebook, Jeannette - what a great weekend!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Chicago Getaway by cjs (I was just drooling ...)
It sounds like a great time and the pictures are to drool over and over and over.

The only experience I've had with Chicago was the airport - I'm glad there are wonderful reasons to go there! Next time we go back east we can stop and see Bob's niece and her husband and go have great food.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Chicago Getaway by Harborwitch (It sounds like a gre...)
It looks like you had a wonderful time, Jeannette! And I love your food pics! Chicago is so much fun. My mother's family lived there so we used to go visit every summer. I always thought it was so much more fun than Cleveland! Your pictures just reminded me that it's time to go visit my favorite aunt.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."