Mystery Box Dinner - Review Monday, June 13th
  Re: (...)
Finally found a way to watch Chopped: All Stars, and that brought to mind that we haven't done a mystery-box dinner, here, for a while.

We already have a current birthday meal on the calendar, and May has a lot of potential birthday meals, but there are only a few June entries in the birthday list, so would any of you be interested in planning a mystery box for June? We could start taking ingredient submissions now and start planning how we'll use them.

Any takers yet?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Mystery Box Dinner - Review Monday, June 13th by labradors (Finally found a way ...)
YES! will check back in.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Time to plan ahead for another mystery box? by cjs (YES! will check back...)
It was fun last time!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Time to plan ahead for another mystery box? by Gourmet_Mom (It was fun last time...)
Yes, I would like to do this again. It really was fun the last time I participated. My suggestion would be to let Labs pick some of the ingredients though, since he doesn't have access to the type of supermarkets we do here in the US. Another option might be to let Labs pick the main ingredient and we all go from there to come up with an original recipe. Just a thought...
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Time to plan ahead for another mystery box? by Mare749 (Yes, I would like to...)
Funny this thought has been running through my head too. These were always so much fun.

I agree Daphne - let Labs pick some first!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Time to plan ahead for another mystery box? by Mare749 (Yes, I would like to...)
If I really wanted to make it interesting, I'd make tamarind one of the ingredients, but then I don't know how accessible that is in the States. I know there are pastes and concentrates available for those who can't get the fresh (just the opposite of here), but I don't know how well you all could get those, either.

I think that allowing some liberties with the secondary ingredients (as we have done in the past), rather than absolutely requiring all of them (as on chopped) should be fine.

Even apart from the mystery-ox challenges, I'll do some substituting, from time to time. For the current birthday menu, for example, I plan to use fish, instead of scallops since I can't get scallops, here, and don't like them, anyway.

Even if people decide to make something like mussels the main ingredient, I'm okay with sitting out the challenge to let everyone else participate.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Time to plan ahead for another mystery box? by labradors (If I really wanted t...)
That sounds fun, and tamarind has my vote! I've never cooked with it but have seen it around here somewhere...
  Re: Re: Time to plan ahead for another mystery box? by karyn (That sounds fun, and...)
Go for it, Labs - we can all find most everything - so start things off anytime AND choose a review date for us.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Time to plan ahead for another mystery box? by cjs (Go for it, Labs - we...)
This sounds like so much fun - again. But Labs, please no gummy worms!!! LOL
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Time to plan ahead for another mystery box? by Harborwitch (This sounds like so ...)
I have to sub a lot of times, also. But the longer I have to come up with some of the ingredients, the better my chances are of finding them...or ordering it, in the event it's something I've been wanting to try anyway. Tamarind would fall in the latter category. I say, "Go for it!" I DO like being able to use other things than what's in the basket. They get to do that on Chopped. The one we did where we could only use what was in the basket was tough!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.