What's for Dinner, Saturday, May 28th!!??
  Re: (...)
What's on eveyone's menu for tonight?

We'll start the day with Ramos Fizzes and l/os (that barley risotto is so good!) and finish the day with my annual b'day dinner - Grilled T-Bones, Fruit Platter (with wine reduction and Parm) and garlic bread. I have one more section of the Blackberry Bliss wine cake in the freezer, so I won't make the Rice Krispie Ice Cream Cake (the weather is not right for it anyway!! )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What's for Dinner, Saturday, May 28th!!?? by cjs (What's on eveyone's ...)
We're going to break in our smoker and do some ribs. I've got some corn but I'll try to smoke that some other time. Plus, jalapeno poppers!

Oh yeah...

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Saturday, May 28th!!?? by BarbaraS (We're going to break...)
fun cooking this weekend - here's the bacon and l/o shrimp pizza, that was so good.
[Image: shrimpbaconpizza-1.jpg]

Don't know if anyone else has the CarbLovers book, the the Barley Risotto is so darn good. For breakfast this a.m. I made the leftovers into patties with egg and panko and topped with shredded Colby and panko.

[Image: BarleyRisottocake.jpg]
[Image: BarleyRisottoCake2.jpg]

Don had a great idea, add crab to the cakes - so tomorrow I'll make another batch of the risotto just for making cakes and add crab to it and stick them in the freezer (what we don't eat ) for a quick snack. This really is a good dish. (oh, and, that's a Ramos fizz in the background.)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Saturday, May 28th!!?? by cjs (fun cooking this wee...)
I would love to have that barley risotto recipe. BTW your breakfast looks great.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Saturday, May 28th!!?? by cjs (fun cooking this wee...)
That sounds and looks really good! Which dough did you use for your pizza?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Saturday, May 28th!!?? by FishyGirl (I would love to have...)
Quote:

I would love to have that barley risotto recipe.

Same here, especially given price difference between arborio rice and barley!

Welcome to the forum, FishyGirl. Hope you enjoy all our fun chats and great food, here.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Saturday, May 28th!!?? by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Welcome Fishygirl!!!

Jean add one more to the list of those who'd love to have that recipe.

I have C@H's Firegrilled pork steaks for tonight - but one or both of us might wind up working in the bar/restaurant/kitchen tonight. I'll just have to see what happens.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Saturday, May 28th!!?? by Harborwitch (Welcome Fishygirl!!!...)
Welcome, Fishygirl! I hope you continue to jump in and join the food and fun!

I'm thinking it's probably this one: CarbLovers Barley Risotto Primavera

Jean shared the link to the recipes online a while back.

I'm trying to decide between chicken picatta and chicken parm. William is staying out at the farm another night, so I'm saving Maryann's dinner until he is here.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Saturday, May 28th!!?? by Gourmet_Mom (Welcome, Fishygirl! ...)
Yes, that's the one - but, I don't use instant barley - I make regular (1 cup barley to 2 1/2 cups water) ahead of time.

Barley Risotto Primavera Barley Risotto Primavera

Swapping barley for the usual Arborio rice used in risotto boosts fiber and Resistant Starch. Save prep time by batch-cooking the barley at the beginning of the week.
Makes: 4 servings

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 carrots, peeled and chopped (about 2/3 cup)
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
3 cups cooked quick-cooking barley
1/2 cup white wine (optional)
1 small zucchini, chopped (about 1 cup)
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
1/2 yellow bell pepper, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
1 1/2 to 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth, divided
1/4 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups frozen peas
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
(NOTE: I find 1 1/2 oz. of cheese (3 T.) is really quite enough)
1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add carrot and onion, and cook 4 to 5 minutes until onion begins to brown. Add garlic and thyme; cook 1 minute until fragrant.

2. Reduce heat to medium; stir in barley and white wine (if using) or 1/2 cup broth. Cook 1 minute until liquid is absorbed. Add zucchini, bell peppers, and 3/4 cup broth; cook 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until liquid is absorbed. Add remaining 3/4 cup broth; cook until vegetables are tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and freshly ground black pepper.

3. Stir in peas; remove from heat. Let risotto rest 1 to 2 minutes until peas are thawed but still bright green. Stir in Parmesan cheese just before serving.
Serving size: 1 3/4 cups

Calories 380; Fat 14g (sat 4g, mono 5g, poly 1g); Cholesterol 15mg; Protein: 16g; Carbohydrate 50g; Sugars 5g; Fiber 9g; RS 4.1g; Sodium 620mg

---
For the patties, I added egg and panko to make a nice consistency. Make into patties and top with a combo of panko and grated cheese of choice. Baked at 375° for 25-30 minutes. (I'm adding crab to the batch tomorrow a.m.)
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Saturday, May 28th!!?? by cjs (Yes, that's the one ...)
Thanks! Love barley and this sounds great. Thanks for the note about the amount of cheese, too, though I'd prefer pecorino Romano, anyway. Do like the idea for the patties. For those, I'd use slices of a good Provolone. Shall definitely be trying this in BOTH forms.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?