I need some advice
  Re: (...)
I've got two events to cook for tomorrow. I can't decide what to fix.

The first one is for homecoming at church. I'm thinking about the Lasagna with Bolognese Sauce. I figured I could cook it up tonight, then stick it in a warm oven (temp advice?) when I get there at 9 and serve it up at about 11. I had thought about just doing spaghetti, but that is not something I could make ahead. It needs to be something the ladies manning the kitchen can reheat and/or just set out. If somebody has a better idea, lay it on me. I"m going to have to go shopping for what I don't have on hand soon. (I picked this because I have most of the ingredients...especially the meat and tomatoes.)

The second one is our choir party. It's going to be outside around 5 pm, so it's going to be hot. I have a couple of ideas for this. I've got this Grilled Buttermilk Chicken recipe that is make ahead, good for a picnic, as it can be served warm or room temp. I also thought about doing my Ranch Dip Party Platter. (Ranch mix added to cream cheese and topped with a variety of veggies, that I have on hand, olives, and a couple of shredded cheeses arranged in sections on top....pretty and yummy. Served with tortilla chips.) OR I could do the Brown Derby Salad (Cobb Salad arranged on a platter with each ingredient in a stripe on top of the greens mix), but I'm worried that some won't care for blue cheese. I've got ALL of the ingredients for this. AND there's the worry over the eggs and avocado in the heat. OR I could do my Korean Beef. Great but pricey. And make a good salad and a nice dressing. GEEZ! Too many ideas.....too many questions.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: I need some advice by Gourmet_Mom (I've got two events ...)
I love the lasagna idea for the homecoming. I would take it out of the fridge about 1 hour prior, put it into a 350 oven and it should be hot. Since it'll still be relatively cool when you put it in, it won't 'cook' anymore just heat.

For the choir party fried chicken and you could do fruit kabobs for something cool and refreshing.

How many folks at each event?
  Re: Re: I need some advice by DFen911 (I love the lasagna i...)
Homecoming is the whole church. But there will probably only be about 100 maybe? But everybody will be bringing food. William said one of the kitchen ladies came in while they were working at the church this morning and said they need chicken....usually low on protein. People tend to bring veggies, desserts and bread. But I couldn't pull that off that morning. The man had the NERVE to suggest we run to KFC!!!! OMG! REALLY???? I think I'm going with the lasagna. It's a protein AND everything else.

The choir event is about 20 and is covered dish also. As for fried chicken....I'm not real confident in my fried chicken. I think I'm going with the grilled version....really tasty with a hint of cumin in the brine. I'm tempted to do homemade ice cream if no one else is doing it. I've got some frozen peaches that I could put in it. But do I want to share? HMMMMM? The fruit is a good idea.
Daphne
  Re: Re: I need some advice by Gourmet_Mom (Homecoming is the wh...)
Lasagna with Bolognese Sauce - a yes vote

I've got this Grilled Buttermilk Chicken recipe that is make ahead, good for a picnic, as it can be served warm or room temp. a yes vote.

A great summer dessert is the Rice Krispie Ice Cream Cake - have you ever made it?? Make ahead and keep with ice (or dry ice) until service time - easy peasy!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: I need some advice by cjs (Lasagna with Bologne...)
Jean, is the ice cream recipe in your book? I'll check it out. But you just reminded me of a recipe we used to make. You take whipped cream, spread on the bottom of a 9 X 13 pan, top with ice cream sandwiches, smear on more whipped cream, and sprinkle with butter brickle bits and refreeze. That might do it. But I'll check on the Rice Crispy Ice Cream Cake before I make up my mind.
Daphne
  Re: Re: I need some advice by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, is the ice cre...)
I don't think it is in any books...yet - here you go.

Everyone from Great-grandmas to toddlers love this! AND, you can make a week ahead and freeze!!

RICE KRISPIES ICE CREAM CRUNCH CAKE

6 ozs Chocolate chips
1/3 c peanut butter
3 c Rice Krispies®
1/2 gal vanilla frozen yogurt -- (or ice cream)

Melt choc. chips & p.butter together in lg. pan or bowl; add cereal.
Spread on cookie sheet & cool; break up cereal mix. into small pieces.
Soften Ice cream; fold in all but 1/2 cup of cereal mixture & spread in
springform pan.
Use remaining 1/2 cup cereal mix. to make decorative topping, then
freeze.

Garnish w/whipped cream & strawberries, if desired.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: I need some advice by cjs (I don't think it is ...)
Oh, okay....I did a search online, and found this one. There were lots of others, though, so I was not sure if this was it! Thanks! I haven't decided if I'm taking a dessert. I've already spent WAY too much on these two meals...even with having at least half the ingredients on hand. OIY!
Daphne
  Re: Re: I need some advice by Gourmet_Mom (Oh, okay....I did a ...)
New issue! I TOTALLY forgot this sauce has to cook for 3-4 hours. I have two choices. I can stay up until almost 1 am to get this done and cooled enough to refrigerate it. OR I can put it together, refrigerate, and get up in the morning and let it cook while I have my coffee and get ready.

If I do the latter and drop it off at 9, what instructions should I give the kitchen ladies? It won't be served for another 2 hours.

If I do the former, are Denise's instructions being translated correctly? I take it to the kitchen ladies straight out of the fridge, let it sit until 10, then put it in a 400 degree oven for an hour. It can then sit for 15 minutes before cutting while everyone assembles.
Daphne
  Re: I need some advice by Gourmet_Mom (I've got two events ...)
The lasagna idea sounds great. Just in case, here's what I do. Make it the night before and refrigerate it, then slice it while it is cold the next day and then reheat it. It gives nice, neat slices when served. PS, I cook mine till nicely browned and then reheat in the microwave instead of the oven sometimes, depending on how quickly I want it hot.
  Re: Re: I need some advice by Cubangirl (The lasagna idea sou...)
If only I had started an hour or two earlier. These two covered dish meals come at the WORST possible time. I was so exhausted, I didn't get started early enough. Granted, had I remembered the sauce had to cook so long, I would have probably motivated sooner...lol! But this advice is good for future reference. If I have enough left over, I will probably cut it, transfer it to a smaller dish and take it to a family gathering NEXT Sunday. That would be perfect with a simple salad with a nice vinaigrette and some homemade bread....which I can easily pull off next Saturday. I miss making bread.
Daphne