Banana Ketchup
  Re: (...)
Oh my, this is one condiment that is so good, so hot, so good!! I'm 45 minutes into cooking the ketchup (Lab's recipe) andit tastes just wonderful!!

[Image: BananaKetchup.jpg]

I'm making 1/2 the recipe and took the advice and used the equal weight of water to bananas. I found some Thai bird chilis (Sharon, did you give me these things??????????) that are hotter than hell, but used them anyway and the flavor is just so good!

Now to make a pork dish to go with - there are lots of suggestions in old thread where we all discussed the ketchup.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Banana Ketchup by cjs (Oh my, this is one c...)
I'm not a huge banana fan, but William is. AND he loves hot stuff. I think I'll put this and that sauce from Laura's party thread at the top of the summer project list.....right behind catching up on dinner reviews....OIY! My hopes for half days for teachers for the rest of the week were dashed in an email today about a workshop Thursday afternoon. POOH!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Banana Ketchup by cjs (Oh my, this is one c...)
Were they frozen? Then I might have. I'm waiting for a day off to play. I want to make this and Lorraine's sauce.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Banana Ketchup by Gourmet_Mom (I'm not a huge banan...)
Daphne, it's just a condiment. You can't really tell that it's bananas. Certainly is yummy, though.

Still need to make the full batch with my own suggestions (as Jean is cooking right now). All I need to get are the bananas and the time - the latter of which has been a little short in the last few days from the e combination of the Mystery dinner and my attempts to revive someone's laptop computer that just won't behave. Maybe I'll make it toward the end of the week.

Oh, Jean, don't forget to try it on typical "ketchup" things, too, such as hamburgers, hot dogs, French fries, etc.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Banana Ketchup by labradors (Daphne, it's just a ...)
Thanks, Labs. I' was going to give it a shot anyway, because I KNOW William will like it.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Banana Ketchup by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks, Labs. I' wa...)
"Oh, Jean, don't forget to try it on typical "ketchup" things, too, such as hamburgers, hot dogs, French fries, etc. " - oh, I intend to keep it handy, I'm filling a container with it as we speak. How long do you thnk it will keep? I'm thinking at least a month, huh?

Daphne, the only comparsion I can make is it tasted like the best apple butter I've every tasted but with a hint of banana flavor to it. Just gave a little container to a neighbor whose wife doesn't care for hot flavors and he depends on me for hand outs. He almost giggled and said he's going to have some on his toast tomorrow a.m.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Banana Ketchup by cjs ("Oh, Jean, don't for...)
Don't know about the storage life, yet. The original recipes (each version) called for sodium benzoate to preserve it for bottling but I'd keep it in the fridge. It may even freeze well.

Good description you gave, BTW.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Banana Ketchup by cjs ("Oh, Jean, don't for...)
We love it on fries, shrimp, lumpia, chicken . . . .
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Banana Ketchup by Harborwitch (We love it on fries,...)
wish I would have had this the other day...
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Banana Ketchup by luvnit (wish I would have ha...)
time for another party, Laura!!
www.achefsjourney.com