ISO - Vegetarian Main Dish - No Gluten
  Re: (...)
Ok so I have a client who wants a main dish, side dish and dessert dish. They must all be vegetarian (not vegan) and no gluten.

I'm a meat eater! So need some ideas and recipes please
  Re: ISO - Vegetarian Main Dish - No Gluten by DFen911 (Ok so I have a clien...)
Falafel, perhaps, such as THIS Tyler Florence recipe, skipping the pita bread, of course? If you look for other recipes, be careful, since many of them include some flour.

Just about any vegetable medley should work for a side. You could also try that recipe for Spicy Stuffed Sweet Potatoes that I got from Vegetarian Times magazine.

Dessert may be easier - just about anything with fruit and without a cake or crust. Parfaits? A compote (no - despite my carnivorous protestations against vegetarians, not a compost)? Be careful about gelatin: a lot of people don't know that it's an animal product, but there ARE vegetarian versions available.

Another thing: When people have problems with gluten, they often have problems with other things, too, so check about chickpeas before making the falafel. They don't have gluten, but the person could be sensitive to legumes.

On the vegetarian side, you should check to see whether dairy and/or eggs are okay, depending upon what you decide to make.

When is this needed? If you can wait until the Mystery-Box review date, you may be able to use part of what I made, but I can't say any more until the review.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
Well, crap, Denise I can only find my gluten-free bread book - I'll look some more.

Here is one that I found in my personal chef book - can't remember if I ever made it or not, I'm usually good about making notes.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Moroccan Spiced Chickpea and Lentil Soup
Serves 8
Charmoula:
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil -- (4 to 5)
1 teaspoon cumin seeds -- toasted and ground
1 clove garlic
1 jalapeño pepper -- seeded and deveined
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
1 bunch cilantro
Salt and pepper to taste
-----
Soup:
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 fennel bulb -- chopped
1 medium red onion -- chopped
1 medium white onion -- chopped
2 cans chopped tomatoes -- (14-ounces) with their liquid
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 cloves garlic -- finely chopped
1 Pinch saffron threads (optional)
4 cups gluten-free -- low-sodium vegetable broth
1 cup dried lentils (green -- brown, red or yellow), picked through and rinsed
4 sprigs cilantro
4 sprigs parsley
2 dried bay leaves
2 tablespoons sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
3 cups canned chickpeas -- drained and rinsed

For the charmoula, mix 4 tablespoons of the oil, cumin, garlic, jalapeños, and lemon juice in a food processor to make a purée. Pick cilantro leaves from their stems and add to food processor along with zest and salt and pepper. Pulse mixture a couple of times, scraping it down from the side of the bowl in between pulses. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil if needed. The mixture should resemble a rustic pesto. Place in tightly closed container and refrigerate for up to two days.

For the soup, heat oil in a 4-quart pot with over medium heat. Add fennel and gently cooking for a couple of minutes while the fennel releases its natural juices. Add red and white onions and cook until soft and translucent, stirring mixture from time to time, about 12 minutes. Add tomatoes with their liquid and increase heat to high until the mixture comes to a simmer. Add the ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, garlic and saffron, if using, and let them infuse the mixture with their flavors for a few more minutes.

Add broth, lentils, cilantro and parsley sprigs, and bay leaves and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Add sugar and salt and pepper, stirring the mixture a couple of times. Cover pot and let simmer for about 25 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Add chickpeas and cook, uncovered, for another 5 to 7 minutes until heated through. Mix well and season again with salt and pepper. Remove and discard bay leaves, cilantro, and parsley.

Serve soup hot, with 1 tablespoon of the reserved charmoula on top, if desired. (For a thicker soup, remove about 1 cup of the cooked lentils and chickpeas from the soup and process them in blender, adding some extra liquid if needed. Add the blended mixture back to the soup. For a thinner soup, add extra vegetable broth.)

Ginger, turmeric, cinnamon and saffron infuse each spoonful of this savory soup — a hearty combination of lentils, chickpeas, fennel, onions and tomatoes. Pick up the spice profile with a dollop of Charmoula, a Moroccan condiment with garlic, cumin, cilantro and jalapeño. Great with a warm whole wheat pita and a simple salad on the side

------
this one I haven't made, but have been ask to try it for a fellow whose wife is gluten-free and it does sound interesting for a side.

Make it Natural: Tomato-topped Polenta Tart

1 1/2 cups finely ground dry polenta (cornmeal)
2 cups cold water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
4 ounces soft goat cheese
1 pint sliced cherry tomatoes
1/4 cup thinly sliced sun-dried tomatoes packed in olive oil
1/4 cup loosely packed slivered fresh basil leaves
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

Preheat oven to 375°F. Oil a 10-inch tart pan with removable base with olive oil cooking spray and set aside.

Combine polenta with water in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer, stirring constantly for 5 minutes. Stir in the grated cheese and continue to stir 3 to 5 minutes longer.

Transfer polenta to prepared tart pan. Spread it evenly over bottom and up sides of pan. Bake until dry and crisp on edges, about 30 minutes.

Remove from oven and spread a thin layer of goat cheese over crust. Arrange cherry tomatoes and sun-dried tomatoes on top of the cheese.

Return to oven for 5 to 10 minutes longer, until the cheese is softened and tomatoes are heated through.

Before serving, remove the sides from the tart pan and sprinkle top with basil and a drizzle of olive oil.

Nutrition Info

Per serving (About 4oz/112g-wt.): 260 calories (100 from fat), 12g total fat, 4.5g saturated fat, 10g protein, 29g total carbohydrate (3g dietary fiber, 3g sugar), 15mg cholesterol, 560mg sodium

NOTES : Many thanks to one of our readers for sharing this polenta crust recipe, a great gluten-free option that everyone will enjoy. It can be used as a base for any toppings you fancy. Here a thin layer of goat cheese, sweet cherry tomatoes and sun dried tomatoes makes a great combo.

-----

Here's some info that may help you Denise - I don't think you'll have any trouble making a meal for the person.

"What foods contain gluten?
A gluten free diet is a diet completely free of ingredients derived from gluten-containing foods: wheat (including Kamut and spelt), barley, rye, oats and triticale, as well as the use of gluten as a food additive in the form of a flavoring, stablizing or thickening agent. Although most patients can tolerate oat products, there is a controversy about including them in a gluten free diet: some medical practitioners say they may be permitted, but the Celiac Society advises against them.

What foods are gluten free?
Several grains and starch sources are considered acceptable for a gluten-free diet. The most frequently used are maize (corn), potatoes, rice, and tapioca (derived from cassava). Other grains and starch sources generally considered suitable for gluten-free diets include amaranth, arrowroot, millet, montina, lupine, quinoa, sorghum (jowar), sweet potato, taro, teff, and yam. Various types of bean, soybean, and nut flours are sometimes used in gluten-free products to add protein and dietary fiber. In spite of its name, buckwheat is not related to wheat; pure buckwheat is considered acceptable for a gluten-free diet, although many commercial buckwheat products are actually mixtures of wheat and buckwheat flours, and thus not acceptable.

Gram flour, derived from chickpeas, is also gluten free.
Gluten is also used in foods in some unexpected ways, for example as a stabilizing agent or thickener in products like ice cream and ketchup

People wishing to follow a completely gluten free diet must also take into consideration the ingredients of any over-the-counter or prescription medications and vitamins. Also, cosmetics such as lipstick, lip balms, and lip chap may contain gluten and need to be investigated before use."

-----
And here's a Nigella dessert - read the description at the bottom, she is such a sensual woman!! I saw her make this on one of her shows and it looked so good!

Lemon Polenta Cake - Nigella Kitchen

Cake:
1 3/4 sticks soft unsalted butter -- (14 tablespoons) plus extra for greasing
1 cup superfine sugar
2 cups almond meal/flour
3/4 cup fine polenta/cornmeal
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder (gluten-free if required)
3 eggs
Zest 2 lemons (save the juice for the syrup)
Syrup:
Juice 2 lemons (see above)

Special Equipment: 1 (9-inch) springform pan
For the cake: Line the base of your cake pan with parchment paper and grease its sides lightly with butter. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Beat the butter and sugar till pale and whipped, either by hand in a bowl with a wooden spoon, or using a freestanding mixer.

Mix together the almond meal, polenta and baking powder, and beat some of this into the butter-sugar mixture, followed by 1 egg, then alternate dry ingredients and eggs, beating all the while.

Finally, beat in the lemon zest and pour, spoon or scrape the mixture into your prepared pan and bake in the oven for about 40 minutes. It may seem wibbly but, if the cake is cooked, a cake tester should come out cleanish and, most significantly, the edges of the cake will have begun to shrink away from the sides of the pan. Remove from the oven to a wire cooling rack, but leave in its pan.

For the syrup: Make the syrup by boiling together the lemon juice and confectioners' sugar in a smallish saucepan. Once the confectioners' sugar has dissolved into the juice, you're done. Prick the top of the cake all over with a cake tester (a skewer would be too destructive), pour the warm syrup over the cake, and leave to cool before taking it out of its pan.

Make Ahead Note: The cake can be baked up to 3 days ahead and stored in airtight container in a cool place. Will keep for total of 5 to 6 days.

Freeze Note: The cake can be frozen on its lining paper as soon as cooled, wrapped in double layer of plastic wrap and a layer of foil, for up to 1 month. Thaw for 3 to 4 hours at room temperature.

Nigella Notes: Serves: 16 slices

This cake is a sort of Anglo-Italian amalgam. The flat, plain disc is reminiscent of the confections that sit geometrically arranged in patisserie windows in Italy; the sharp, syrupy sogginess borrows from the classic English teatime favorite, the lemon drizzle cake. It is a good marriage: I love Italian cooking in all respects save one - I find their cakes both too dry and too sweet. Here, though, the flavorsome grittiness of the polenta and tender rubble of ground almond meal provide so much better a foil for the wholly desirable dampness than does the usual flour.

But there is more to it than that. By some alchemical process, the lemon highlights the eggy butteriness of the cake, making it rich and sharp at the same time. If you were to try to imagine what lemon curd would taste like in cake form, this would be it.
Although I am greedily happy to slice and cram messily straight into my mouth, letting damp clumps fall where they will, this cake is best eaten - in company at least - with spoon and fork. Either way, consider it a contender for teatime comfort and supper-party celebration alike.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Good luck!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Laura and Vicci among others will be better help than me. I'm with you...I'm a meat eater! Good luck!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: ISO - Vegetarian Main Dish - No Gluten by Gourmet_Mom (Laura and Vicci amon...)
Oh this is great thank you!! Already printed em out to submit to them.
  Re: Re: ISO - Vegetarian Main Dish - No Gluten by DFen911 (Oh this is great tha...)
LOL! We were posting at the same time, Jean.

"And here's a Nigella dessert - read the description at the bottom, she is such a sensual woman!! I saw her make this on one of her shows and it looked so good!"

You are soooo right on that! She does have a "way with words"! William loves when I watch her shows....LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: ISO - Vegetarian Main Dish - No Gluten by Gourmet_Mom (LOL! We were postin...)
Cook's Illustrated had an amazing Vegetable Torte with layers of eggplant, zucchini, red peppers, garlic, and tomatoes. It does use breadcrumbs for the crust, but I've subbed rice krispies and it's worked fine. It's bound with cheese, eggs, and cream.

Being CI, everything is roasted before assembling the torte, so it's a bit of a labor of love, but the end result is amazing and can be served warm or at room temperature.

I just did a quick search, and you can find the recipe here . Let me know if you want the original!
  Re: Re: ISO - Vegetarian Main Dish - No Gluten by karyn (Cook's Illustrated h...)
For gluten free you might think rice products. Lundberg makes a whole line of Pastas. If you use them you could make a veggie pasta dish. I have an old recipe for Lentils Mujadara which combines lentils and rice for a complete meal. It is and old recipe (probably 30+ years) without comments, so I want to try again, it is on my next to do list, but I won't get to it till the weekend.
KAF has good gluten free recipes. You probably don't want to do burgers but just in case Kate Kate Cooks the Books gave these veggie burgers a great review. You can find the recipe here . What are you doing for dessert?
  Re: Re: ISO - Vegetarian Main Dish - No Gluten by Cubangirl (For gluten free you ...)
That veggie-burger recipe sounds great, Cubana! Although I'm a confirmed carnivore, I DO like to have some of these veggie things, once in a while, but it's difficult to find good recipes that don't taste like cardboard. Thanks.

Funny, but despite what the people at Kashi say in their commercials, it was the Kashi cereals that first got me calling certain "healthy," "organic" or "veggie" products "cardboard," so I thought it was absolutely hilarious that they came out with a commercial saying, "When people say 'health food tastes like cardboard,' we at Kashi take it personally." HA!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?