About that cuke side, Daph
  Re: (...)
I remember Daph, mentioning sliced cukes, dill, vinegar etc. Just wanted to let you know, I took the idea and ran with it. We've had some tasty combinations, my fave being cukes, cauliflowerets, green stuffed olives, vinegar, salt and Ital dressing (from a bottle). I mix it up first and chill to serve with dinner. Lovin' it for summer
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: About that cuke side, Daph by farnfam (I remember Daph, men...)
William's favorite side dish! He always has cukes and onions in vinegar at the farm for lunch or dinner for the guys. Glad you're enjoying it, Cis!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: About that cuke side, Daph by Gourmet_Mom (William's favorite s...)
What kind of vinegar?
  Re: Re: About that cuke side, Daph by DFen911 (What kind of vinegar...)
Rice vinegar works well, also I like apple cider vinegar or just plain white. Oh and white wine vinegar is good too, I guess it depends on what kind of veggie and what you think goes well. Only one I haven't tried is Balsamic, I wasn't sure the dark color would look right, but it'd probbly taste good
The last one with the olives, I used some juice from the olive jar too
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: About that cuke side, Daph by farnfam (Rice vinegar works w...)
" has cukes and onions in vinegar" - I grew up with this combination.

white balsamic works great, Cis. My favorite 'cause it's what I did grow up with is cider vinegar. What a refreshing side dish for summer.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: About that cuke side, Daph by cjs (" has cukes and onio...)
We always use cider vinegar unless we don't have any...a rare occurrence. In that event, we use white vinegar.
Daphne
  Re: Re: About that cuke side, Daph by Gourmet_Mom (We always use cider ...)
A few weeks ago I made zucchini pickles - white balsamic vinegar and dill. Very good.
  Re: Re: About that cuke side, Daph by Trixxee (A few weeks ago I ma...)
So you just slice up the cucumbers and put them in the vinegar...for how long? Do you add any spices or herbs?
  Re: Re: About that cuke side, Daph by DFen911 (So you just slice up...)
I guess onions and dill would be most common. I added lots of other veggies, like broccoli, cauliflower, stuffed olives, carrots, red pepper. I season with salt and basil, maybe some garlic, go ahead, go crazy.
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: About that cuke side, Daph by farnfam (I guess onions and d...)
Denise, I've done it many ways, but most often, we just toss them in a bowl of vinegar with pepper and eat them right away. The longer you leave them, the more "pickled" they get. Depends on how much you like vinegar. I like them right away. Oh, I almost forgot. Since I don't care for them so vinegary, I toss some ice cubes in there to get them cold fast.
Daphne