Need recipe for really good vanilla frosting
  Re: (...)
Am in the process of moving, so all my cookbooks and magazines are packed...need to make a b'day cake tomorrow -- Devil's food with white icing. Found my cake recipe in an old email, but need a white frosting recipe. Anyone have one that is reliable and yummy? thanks!
  Re: Need recipe for really good vanilla frosting by gharborwa (Am in the process of...)
I've always done the one with powdered sugar, lemon juice, and enough milk to cream and a dash of vanilla for flavor. I don't have the measures on this computer, but if that's the one, I'm sure some of the others have it. Then there's Jean's cream cheese recipe. I'm sure she has both. She'll be on first thing tomorrow if someone doesn't supply what you need tonight.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Need recipe for really good vanilla frosting by gharborwa (Am in the process of...)
My favorite white frostings are the Cream Cheese/whip cream one CI uses for the strawberry cake. The magic frosting from Joanne Chang in Flour is also excellent. I am posting both just in case they appeal. Joanne's is great with chocolate. I like them because they have no powdered sugar.

EXPORTED FROM LIVING COOKBOOK

CRISPY MAGIC FROSTING*****5 Fantastic, stays soft, but not runny, not too sweet.

Recipe makes more than is needed for 12 cupcakes. Store the remainder in refrigerator for 2 weeks or freeze.

Servings: 8 Yield: about 3½ cups

140 g. granulated sugar 2/3 cup
2 extra large egg whites (60 grams)
12 oz. unsalted butter (3 sticks) at room temperature, cut into 2-inch chunks
230 g. confectioners' sugar (1 2/3 cup)
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
2 TBS. milk
1 TBS. vanilla extract

While the cupcakes are cooling, in a small heatproof bowl, whisk together the granulated sugar and egg whites to make a thick slurry. Place the bowl over (not touching) simmering water in a saucepan and heat, whisking occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the mixture is hot to the touch. It will thin out a bit as the sugar melts.

Remove from the heat and scrape the mixture into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whip attachment (or use a hand-held mixer). Whip on medium-high speed for 6 to 8 minutes, or until the mixture becomes a light, white meringue and is cool to the touch. Turn down the speed to medium, add the butter, a few chunks at a time, and beat for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the butter is thoroughly incorporated. Add the confectioners' sugar, salt, milk, and vanilla and continue to beat on medium speed until the mixture is smooth and satiny. You should have about 3½ cups. (Use immediately, or transfer to an airtight container and store at room temperature for up to 3 days, then beat with the stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment for a few minutes until smooth before using. Or, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks, then bring to room temperature and paddle for a few minutes until smooth before using.)

Remove the cupcakes from the muffin tin. Fit a pastry bag with a small round or star tip and fill the bag with the frosting, then pipe the frosting onto cupcakes. Or, spread the frosting on the cupcakes with an icing spatula.

The cupcakes taste best on the day they are baked, but they can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.

Preparation Time: 24 minutes Cooking Time: 6 minutes Total Time: 30 minutes

Author: Joanne Chang
Source: FLOUR: SPECTACULAR RECIPES FROM BOSTON’S FLOUR BAKERY + CAFE
Web Page: http://www.projectfoodie.com/spotlights/...child.html

Recipe Type: Desserts, Eggs, Frosting and Icings, Joanne Chang

EXPORTED FROM LIVING COOKBOOK

WHIPPED CREAM AND CREAM CHEESE FROSTING*****

Use with Ina's Strawberry Cream Cake.

Servings: 10 Yield: 4½ cups for 2 layer cakes

8 oz. cream cheese , room temperature
½ cup sugar (3½ ounces)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/8 tsp. table salt
2 cups heavy cream

FOR THE WHIPPED CREAM: When cake has cooled, place cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, and salt in bowl of standing mixer fitted with whisk attachment. Whisk at medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes, scraping down bowl with rubber spatula as needed. Reduce speed to low and add heavy cream in slow, steady stream; when almost fully combined, increase speed to medium-high and beat until mixture holds stiff peaks, 2 to 2½ minutes more, scraping bowl as needed (you should have about 4½ cups).

Preparation Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 10 minutes

Source: COOK'S ILLUSTRATED 5/2006
Web Page: http://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/...docid=7612

Recipe Type: Cooks Illustrated, Cream cheese, Desserts, Frosting and Icings
  Re: Re: Need recipe for really good vanilla frosting by Cubangirl (My favorite white fr...)
Oh my, they both look good, Alina.

These are the three I use for carrot cake and other cakes. don't know about including the orange one, but some folks like orange and chocolate (?)

Frosting #1 - CREAM CHEESE FROSTING

6 oz. cream cheese, softened
T. butter
2 tsp. vanilla
4 cups sifted powdered sugar
1 cup chopped walnuts (toast them for a better flavor)

Combine cheese, butter and vanilla. Beat at low speed until light.Gradually add sugar until fluffy. If necessary, add a little milk for spreading consistency. Stir in nuts or frost the cake and sprinkle the nuts over the frosting.

Frosting #2 - WHITE CHOCOLATE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING

5 ounces white chocolate
-1/4 pounds cream cheese, room temp.
4 tbsp. butter, unsalted, room temp
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
2-1/4 cups confectioners sugar

Melt chocolate. In an electric mixer, blend cream cheese, butter, and chocolate until smooth, Add lemon juice and vanilla. Blend then add sugar and slowly mix until combined, then beat fast for 30 seconds.

Frosting #3 - FRESH ORANGE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
makes 3 cups

8 oz. cream cheese, room temp.
1 stick (8T.) butter, room temp
3 c. confectioners' sugar, sifted
2 T. fresh orange juice
1 T. grated orange zest (from 1 med. orange)

Place cream cheese & butter in lg. mixing bowl. Blend w/mixer on low speed till combined, 30 seconds.

Add the sugar, a bit at a time, blending w/mixer on low speed till the sugar is well combined, 1 min. Then add the o.j. & zest to the mixture.
Increase the mixer speed to med. & beat till the frosting lightens and is fluffy, 1 min. more.
Use at once.

----

Good luck with your move!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com