Smoking/Lamb question
  Re: (...)
I have a friend who would like to smoke some lamb. I am not familiar with lamb at all.

Can you smoke lamb and if so what cut/temp/rub would you use?
  Re: Smoking/Lamb question by DFen911 (I have a friend who ...)
Denise,

I found this for a leg of Lamb:

http://www.smoker-cooking.com/smoked-leg-of-lamb.html

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
We have never tried lamb in the smoker and not so sure that we would. I'm thinking that it would have to be a fatty piece or it would get too dry. We have never done venison in the smoker for the same reason.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
This is interesting, Denise. I thought at first I'd not ever smoked lambe, but when I checked my Charcuterie book, I find I did smoke the Merguez sausage a while back (a North African sausage). But, that's the only lamb I've done and the only lamb that is mentioned in the book.

About.com BBQ & Grilling - a site I trust for recipes, has this one that sounds pretty good. But, I haven't done it - yet. Now, I want to do lamb, too.

About.com BBQ & Grilling
This is convenient dish since you can cook everything in the smoker. Just load everything up and let it go for about 3 hours.

Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours
Total Time: 4 hours, 20 minutes
Yield: Serves 6 to 8

For lamb:
1 lamb leg, boneless
3 tablespoons fresh rosemary
4 cloves garlic minced
2 tablespoons black pepper
2 tablespoons kosher salt
kitchen twine

For potatoes:
15 medium potatoes
1 cup onion, diced
1 cup bell pepper, seeded and diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon black pepper

Prepare mixture for lamb in a small bowl. Butterfly lamb and place half the ingredients inside and rub remaining ingredients on surface of lamb. Close lamb leg and tie with kitchen twine to secure it. Place on the top shelf of smoker. Allow to smoke for about 4 hours at 225 degrees. One hour after lamb has been in the smoker, place potatoes, onion, and bell pepper in sturdy pan.

Sprinkle with minced garlic, salt, and black pepper. Position the pan with potatoes under the lamb. Expect drippings from lamb to come into contact with potatoes. Allow potatoes to smoke for 2 to 2/12 hours. Be sure to stir occasionally.

Some misc. notes for you (and me ):

-Results were excellent with the apple wood... Did a quick smoke of a small Lamb Chop just to get some added flavor which the apple wood did perfectly!

- apple should be good, i have heard that lilac is excellent, but haven't tried it.

-I ended up getting an awesome deal on some lamb shoulder chops at safeway. Also got an awesome deal on some pre-made caribbean jerk seasoning. So I stopped at the local hardware store and picked up a bag of alder wood chips and headed home. I dry rubbed the chops with seasoning, wrapped in plastic wrap and let sit for 5 hours in fridge. Got the smoker up to 215 and smoked the chops for about an hour(medium-medium well) and here is what I got...

They were juicy and tender and absolutely delicious!!! The jerk seasoning had a great flavor and a good amount of spice to compliment the slightly "gamey" flavor of the lamb.

------
So, this does sound so good - I'm so glad you brought this up, Denise. Hopefully someone else has already done it and will report in soon.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Smoking/Lamb question by cjs (This is interesting,...)
Hmmm...certainly does sound good. I'll be anxious to hear more about this, Denise.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
It has been a long time since I've smoked a leg of lamb - oh how I'd love to do another one.

I just seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic and smoked over oak or walnut and cherry. It was fantastic.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Smoking/Lamb question by Harborwitch (It has been a long t...)
Thanks guys! I'm not a big fan of lamb, but I do try now and again and sometimes find a way I like
  Re: Re: Smoking/Lamb question by DFen911 (Thanks guys! I'm not...)
Have never smoked lamb before, but it sounds good. I could see where it could turn into a two-baaaaaaack-a-day habit.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Smoking/Lamb question by DFen911 (Thanks guys! I'm not...)
We used the left over lamb in a black bean chili that was fantastic!

My favorite is a butterflied leg rubbed with garlic, lemon juice, oregano, salt & pepper and grilled. Fresh oregano and feta cheese sprinkled over the top! Cooked to rare! We also love lamb burgers grilled with feta stuffed in the middle. I'm going to have to find some lamb soon.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Smoking/Lamb question by Harborwitch (We used the left ove...)
Oh, I've got the best (another best ) marinade for a butterflied leg of lamb. Shoot, where is it.
Yippee - I had it in Master Cook. This was just delicious.

* Exported from MasterCook *

BUTTERFLIED LEG OF LAMB

serves about 10
Pomegranate marinade:
2 large onions, cut into chunks
2 cloves garlic
1 cup pomegranate juice
1/2 cup dry red wine
1/2 lemon, unpeeled and cut into chunks
2 teaspoons basil leaves
1/2 tablespoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
----------
1 8 lb. leg of lamb, trimmed and butterflied (not difficult nor time-consuming)

Marinade: Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender (in batches if necessary) and puree.

Arrange lamb in a 10X14" roasting pan. Pour half the marinade over the lamb and turning to cover completely.
Marinate 8-10 hours, or up to 2 days in the refrigerator.
Wipe excess marinade from lamb.

Grill the lamb to a temperature of 130 F.

Note for testing - I think we basted these with some of the marinade while they grilled. - try it - but I don't have that in the instructions.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com