Old Post - Needs RePosting
  Re: (...)
I posted this a long tme ago and ran across it when 'anon' was looking at the thread - it is so good. A Nigella Lawson recipe

-------------------

This is especially for those of you still working (poor devils that you are.... ) and need quick ideas for weeknite dinners. This was on a Nigella's Express program I had taped and watched night before last; it looked so good, I changed my mind on dinner last night and did this one.

It's so simple and so quick - even if the meat is straight from the freezer, by the time you gather all ingredients, it will be thawed enough to use.

Flash-Fried Steak with White Bean Mash
Nigella Lawson's Express Book

1/4 cup plus 2 tsp. olive oil
1 clove of garlic, crushed
grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
3 14-oz. cans white beans
~ 2 tsp. fresh rosemary, chopped, optional
salt and pepper to taste
4 thin-cut sirloin or entrecote steaks, about 5 oz. each

First get on with the beans: put the 1/4 cup olive oil in a saucepan, add in the garlic, add the lemon zest, and warm through.

Drain the beans and rinse under a tap to get rid of the gloop, then add to the pan and warm through, stirring and squishing with a wide, flat spoon so that the beans go into a nubbly mush. Add the rosemary, if using, and season to taste; some beans come saltier than others. Drizzle 1 tsp. of the oil over the beans when serving.

Meanwhile, heat a tsp. of oil in a large skillet and cook the steaks on high for 1 1/2 min. (I did 1 minute) a side.
remove to warmed plates, sprinkling some salt & pepper, to taste, over them as you do so.

Squeeze the lemon juice into the hot pan and let it bubble up with the meaty oil, then pour over the steaks. Serve immediately with the mash.
Serves 4.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Old Post - Needs RePosting by cjs (I posted this a lon...)
I love the phrase "get on with the beans".

Does the juice from one lemon make enough to pour over steaks. I only ask cause when it hits a hot pan a lot will evaporate and with only 1 tsp of oil to cook the steaks doesn't seem like enough liquid will be left to pour.

The flavors of this dish sound wonderful!!
  Re: Old Post - Needs RePosting by cjs (I posted this a lon...)
I'd do this one for the beans alone! Thanks, Jean!!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Old Post - Needs RePosting by pjcooks (I'd do this one for ...)
Just be sure squish to a nubbly mush.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com