Side Dish Ideas
  Re: (...)
Ok...so next Saturday I will be entertaining Laura's 'boyfriend' who is flying in from Sweden, her best friend and her boyfriend and her best friends parents.

On the menu so far is smoked pork butt with a simple rub of salt, brown sugar and black pepper. This will be served with a peach chutney which is cooked with a dry white wine. Dessert is going to be scones - lime and blueberry. These are being brought by someone and as I hear it amazing.

I need dish ideas. I am trying to stay away from beans. I have a great slaw, but it's really for pork that's smoked and being put in sandwiches. Gah why is my brain blank?!

Drinks will be a wheat pale ale and a sweet riesling. (not for me, I'm downing vodka)
  Re: Side Dish Ideas by DFen911 (Ok...so next Saturda...)
Instead of slaw, how about a braised red cabbage side? This is one of my favorites. I have a pork tenderloin recipe that is served on top of homemade creamed corn with chutney on top of the pork. I think the dish would work with the pulled pork instead of the tenderloin since you have the chutney already. Here's the recipe just in case it appeals.

BRAISED RED CABBAGE

Servings: 4

1½ lbs. pre-shredded red cabbage or thinly sliced red cabbage (about 6 cups)
2 slices bacon (preferably apple-smoked)
1 cup apple cider
2 bay leaves
1-1½ tsp. kosher salt
1 pinch black pepper
1 TBS. vegetable oil
1 onion thinly sliced
1-1½ TBS. brown sugar
1½ tsps. minced fresh thyme
1 granny smith apple, peeled and grated
2-3 TBS. cider vinegar

Shred cabbage into thin slices if not pre-shredded. Combine cabbage, bacon, cider, and bay leaves in large microwave-safe bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap. Microwave on high until cabbage for 5 minutes. Shake bowl without removing plastic to toss. Return to microwave and continue cooking until cabbage wilts, about 5-7 more minutes.

Heat oil in skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion, 1 tsp. kosher salt and cook until softened, about 7 minutes. Stir in cabbage mixture, apple, thyme, and 1 TBS. brown sugar, and bring to summer. Cover and cook for about 15 minutes until cabbage is tender and liquid is thickened.

Discard bacon and bay leaves. Stir in 2 TBS. vinegar. Taste and season with additional vinegar, brown sugar, salt and pepper to taste.

Preparation Time: 15 minutes Cooking Time: 45 minutes Total Time: 1 hour

Source: The Best 30 Minute Recipe page 124

Recipe Type: Apples, Bacon, Cabbage, Onions, Side Dish, The Best 30 Minute Recipe, Vegetables

CREAMED CORN (8 servings)

This reheats well. Goes well with Roast Pork Tenderloin and Apple - Cranberry Chutney.

Servings: 8

5 stars - For the corn, I used 5 cups thawed frozen white corn and added some salt to the onions and again used extra garlic. I did not have enough heavy cream (only 1 cup) so I added ½ cup 1% milk and a couple of large spoonfuls of Trader Joe's crème fraîche. I used my KA stick blender to puree and then added the last cup of thawed frozen corn (used yellow for the last cup). I will make it using the crème fraîche again. I think it added nicely to the flavor. We reheated some in the microwave and it was just as good as the freshly made

6½ cup frozen, thawed white corn
1½ cup frozen thawed yellow corn
1¼ TBS. olive oil
5/8 cup chopped onions
1¼ tsp. kosher salt
4 garlic cloves, minced
¼ cup all purpose flour
2 cups low-salt chicken broth
1¼ cup heavy cream
½ cup 1% low-fat milk,
¼ cup Crème Fraîche

Cook 1¼ cup corn kernels in microwave until tender, about 2 minutes. Drain well and set aside

Heat 1 TBS. oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until soft, about 3 minutes. Add flour and stir 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in chicken broth; whisk until mixture thickens and boils. Stir in cream, milk and crème fraîche. Bring mixture to simmer. Add remaining 6¾ cups corn kernels and simmer until mixture is thick, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.

Use an immersion blender to puree the mixture in the pan and then add the last cup of corn.

Preparation Time: 20 minutes Cooking Time: 20 minutes Total Time: 40 minutes

Source: Bon Appétit March 2003
Web Page: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/v...-Chutney-107862

Recipe Type: Bon Appetit, Corn, Side Dish, Vegetables
  Re: Re: Side Dish Ideas by Cubangirl (Instead of slaw, how...)
Well, for a starch, Scalloped Potatoes would be wonderful, as long as you don't consider them too heavy (and if you have the oven space).
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Side Dish Ideas by labradors (Well, for a starch, ...)
French fries always are a hit.
  Re: Re: Side Dish Ideas by losblanos1 (French fries always ...)
I'm thinking Onion gratin would go perfectly with the menu - creamy as a foil to the sharp flavors of the pork.

From page 107 - a Chef's Journey...Home
Years ago this dish was called “Gourmet Onions,” but it always seemed too pretentious to me. It wasn’t long before family and friends referred to it as “Onion Gratin.” Serve it along side any meat or poultry ~ it compliments any meat dish.

Onion Gratin

3 large white onions cut in half and thinly sliced. (You’ll want 4 cups)
5 T. butter
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Salt & pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 425°F
Sauté onions in butter until transparent. Place them in a greased 1 1/2- to 2-quart au gratin dish or flat casserole.

Beat eggs until light and frothy; add sour cream, salt and pepper; mix together. Pour over onions and sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Serves 8.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Side Dish Ideas by cjs (I'm thinking Onion g...)
Those onions sound perfect.

Scalloped potatoes sound good, plop them in the smoker???

Penzey's Carrots - (Swedish, Danish,etc. love carrots & horseradish). A grilled romaine salad? Grilled asparagus, Hmmmmm.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Side Dish Ideas by Harborwitch (Those onions sound p...)
Wow I might do them all cause they all sound yummy.

I wonder if I could do the scallop potatoes in the smoker and have them be done since the heat is so low (225). They'd cook for about 14 hours so I would assume so. Blane I would love to do french fries but I don't think I have a pan big enough to make what I need. I have a small fryer but it's really only good for 2.

Jean I am thinking that onion gratin would be a great appetizer with some garlic crostini's. I was going to a goat cheese and sundried tomato tart.

And the slaw would be a good sweet/tang to the pork.
  Re: Re: Side Dish Ideas by DFen911 (Wow I might do them ...)
Thanks for the reminder, Jean. Just added Onion Gratin to the menu for tomorrow.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Side Dish Ideas by Mare749 (Thanks for the remin...)
I don't think the gratin would be stable enough for a crostini, Denise

Now that we're all talking about the onion gratin, maybe I'll do a dish of them for tonight instead of deep fried onion rings. darn, was not going to change my mind, but they are so good.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Side Dish Ideas by cjs (I don't think the gr...)
Then it'll be a side dish Sounds too yummy to pass up.