Recipes from 1924-1930
  Re: (...)
So as I posted I found a very old cookbook from Derek's grandmother. The recipes start in 1924 and go up to 1930. Based on the last page I know there are other books, but I think they were taken by someone else right after Derek's mom passed away. So I will be happy with what I have.

Here is a recipe that I couldn't even Google. I've been Googling a few to see how the recipes differ.

Strawberry Chingaling

(As written)

Crush 1 qt. ripe strawberries and add 2 c. powered sugar. Put in a bowl in ice box for several hours. When ready to use, squeeze the juice out and discard the pulp. To each c of juice add 2T lemon juice and 1T of maraschino juice. Shave ice and fill glasses, preferably sherbet glasses; add the mixture, putting fresh strawberries on top. Serve with a spoon.

(now let's kick this up a notch and modernize it...pour 2T vodka over the top just before serving )
  Re: Recipes from 1924-1930 by DFen911 (So as I posted I fou...)
Ok ok..one more -

Tomato Oysters -

For 1 1/2 c canned tomatoes, add 1 medium sized onion chopped up real fine. Add cracker crumbs (or crumbs and flour) to make a medium thick batter. Add 1 beaten egg, pepper, salt & sugar to taste. Drop by small spoonfuls into a deep kettle of fat and brown on both sides.

Notes - For the informal luncheon the lady of the house may make the main dish an appetizer. If you want a treat pour over a white sauce seasoned with grated cheese.
  Re: Re: Recipes from 1924-1930 by DFen911 (Ok ok..one more -[br...)
Denise, these recipes are priceless! Thanks for posting both of them. I agree with you, that first one just screams for a shot of vodka!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Recipes from 1924-1930 by Mare749 (Denise, these recipe...)
Aren't these old ones just great?? For the next pantry book I've been going thru the old ones from my family and I'm surprised at how many can be quickly adapted to today's cooking styles.

These two sounds very good!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Recipes from 1924-1930 by cjs (Aren't these old one...)
I love those old cookbooks! Have fun with it!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Recipes from 1924-1930 by Lorraine (I love those old coo...)
My great aunt had the Mary Mead recipe collection from the Tribune and my mom gave it to me because I like to cook and my husband is a newspaper editor. It is copyrighted 1930 and is still in the original paper box. My aunt has added her own recipes as well, all neatly typed on index cards with hand written notes here and there.

Your post prompted me to give it another look. Thanx for that!
  Re: Re: Recipes from 1924-1930 by HomeCulinarian (My great aunt had th...)
Denise, what others have you found to make from it?

This is one that I was looking at that caught my eye in one of our books -

Rabbit Fry or “Man’s Meal” (their words, not mine )

1 rabbit, cleaned and cut into serving size pieces
Marinade:
1 medium sized onion, minced
1 tablespoon minced parsley
6 whole black peppercorns
2 cups “still” white wine*
1 cup vinegar, white or cider
1 tablespoon salt
Coating mixture:
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons paprika
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
----------------
1 lb. lard or 2 cups vegetable oil

Prepare the marinade and pour over the rabbit; cover and leave in the refrigerator for 24 hours. When ready to fry the rabbit, combine the coating mixture in a plastic bag.

Lift the rabbit from the marinade, pat dry and drop one piece at a time into the bag and shake vigorously. Heat the lard or oil in a heavy skillet until hot, but not smoking. Drop rabbit pieces into the hot lard one by one and brown thoroughly on each side. Remove from skillet onto a baking sheet which is covered with heavy brown paper or parchment paper.

Place in a preheated 250°F oven for 15 to 25 minutes. Wonderful with mashed potatoes.

*’Still’ White Wine: According to Barron’s Wine Lover’s Companion, this is a descriptor for wine that contains no carbon dioxide which would make it sparkling or effervescent. So, use a fairly dry white wine such as a Gewürztraminer, a lightly oaked Chardonnay, or Pinot Grigio.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Recipes from 1924-1930 by cjs (Denise, what others ...)
I love this thread! I have my grandmother's 20th Century Home Cookbook, pub. in 1905. She got it from her mother. Veal cheese (veal and tongue, a precursor to bologna, I think)), green corn pudding, Russian salad (with herring), Gherkin sauce, roast chine and barbacued shoat and in case you don't know how, instructions on skinning rabbits and other critters. Etiquette advice is dispensed as well. "Only a miserable cad or senseless dude ever boasts of his conquests amongst the fairer sex."

Just love reading this stuff!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Recipes from 1924-1930 by pjcooks (I love this thread! ...)
I've got a really old one, also. It's fun to look at some of the odd things in there.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Recipes from 1924-1930 by Gourmet_Mom (I've got a really ol...)
PJ, is this one "green corn pudding" long and involved or can you post it??? intrigued.
www.achefsjourney.com