Memorial Day Review Dinner - Due 6/1
  Re: (...)
I kept it really simple, trying to consider everyones tastes, budget, time and to make it fit in with the season, per Jean's wish.

I hope this works for you all and I hope many of you make this. After Maryann and Jeans outstanding dinners I'm just hoping for the best.

The recipe makes two servings, but you can easily double it.

[Image: img013.jpg]
[Image: img014.jpg]

And for dessert...
Edited to add: In the assembly section, the notes on page seven show how to fill an enchilada/roll it and to cook it seam side down.

[Image: img015.jpg]
  Re: Memorial Day Review Dinner - Due 6/1 by losblanos1 (I kept it really sim...)
What a fun menu, Blane! And very thoughtful of you to give this so much consideration. Even the dessert is a possibility for us. We don't do a lot of sweets, but that dish looks just right. I'm in for sure. Thanks for posting.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Memorial Day Review Dinner - Due 6/1 by Mare749 (What a fun menu, Bla...)
Looks great, we're in! Thanks Blane
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Memorial Day Review Dinner - Due 6/1 by farnfam (Looks great, we're i...)
This looks really good. I hope things settle down enough so I can participate! Thanks to you and your great choices and beautiful pictures, I sure will have lots to make when school gets out!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Memorial Day Review Dinner - Due 6/1 by Gourmet_Mom (This looks really go...)
Whoooppeeee!1 Sounds delightful
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Memorial Day Review Dinner - Due 6/1 by cjs (Whoooppeeee!1 Sounds...)
LOL! The sandwich is almost the same as something I've thrown together many times. The difference is that I use pulled, leftover rotisserie chicken, instead of cold cuts. For the salsa, I use Herdez Salsa Casera.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Memorial Day Review Dinner - Due 6/1 by labradors (LOL! The sandwich i...)
Yum, I love Herdez.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Memorial Day Review Dinner - Due 6/1 by labradors (LOL! The sandwich i...)
Quote:

LOL! The sandwich is almost the same as something I've thrown together many times. The difference is that I use pulled, leftover rotisserie chicken, instead of cold cuts. For the salsa, I use Herdez Salsa Casera.

Just for clarification, the recipe calls out for 7-8oz of turkey or chicken meat and suggested Oscar Meyer Carving board (not a cold cut). LOL!
Canned salsa, I may have to try it someday. LOL!
  Re: Re: Memorial Day Review Dinner - Due 6/1 by losblanos1 ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Never heard of the "Carving Board" name. For decades, I've only known Oscar Mayer as "B-O-L-O-G-N-A," etc. I guess they've grown a bit. LOL!

Herdez Salsa Casera is available in cans or jars, but it is an authentic salsa made by a company that originated in Mexico but is now a part of Hormel. It has nothing artificial and no preservatives and tastes the same as a homemade salsa I make (the rare times I can get serrano chiles) and mentioned here quite a while ago:

Salsa de Molcajete

Some homemade salsa recipes can be made in a blender or food processor, but the texture of this salsa recipe is much better when made in the traditional Mexican mortar and pestle. This reposting of the recipe is not the exact way I had originally found it on the Net, but includes my addition of onion and cilantro to make it more like Herdez Salsa Casera.

Ingredients:
  • 5 Serrano Chiles
  • 2 ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 Large onion, roughly chopped
  • 2 tablespoons Finely chopped cilantro (or to taste)
Instructions:
  1. On a comal or iron skillet, roast the chiles and tomatoes for 7-8 minutes or until they are soft.
  2. Peel off and discard the burned skin from the tomatoes.
  3. In a molcajete (mortar and pestle), grind the chiles and garlic.
  4. Add the tomatoes, onions and cilantro and continue grinding, leaving a chunky texture.
  5. Add the salt.
  6. Serve in the molcajete or a small bowl.
Even the canned/bottled version from Herdez is so good that (and I'm NOT exaggerating) I could drink it straight up (and HAVE done so when I still had some left after having run out of chips). LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Memorial Day Review Dinner - Due 6/1 by labradors (Never heard of the "...)
I'm in. I also like the Herdez Casera salsa as far as canned or jarred goes. Last weekend my sister used it as a starting point for salsa and added some fresh ingredients to it. She said it was delicious.