What's for dinner Sat. 7/21/2012??
  Re: (...)
Since Jean is away I thought I would start this for everyone.

We had a great night last night and had champagne, caviar, and brie. That was really supposed to be our appetizer. But we got so busy playing games, we decided to make that our dinner.

So tonight we will have the filet mignon, asparagus, and bearnaise. I will have to check out the potato confit recipe! I can't remember who posted that. I will have to check that outSmile
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: What's for dinner Sat. 7/21/2012?? by luvnit (Since Jean is away I...)
I'm so neck deep in tomatoes, it will probably be hot dogs or brats.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: What's for dinner Sat. 7/21/2012?? by Gourmet_Mom (I'm so neck deep in ...)
Quote:

I'm so neck deep in tomatoes, it will probably be hot dogs or brats.

I'm sooooo sorry for you!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: What's for dinner Sat. 7/21/2012?? by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Tonight will be an experiment with corn dogs. I've never been crazy about them, but my doctor friend is and he wants his helper to be able to make them, if possible. Although I have seen Jean's recipe, there are a few reasons for my not choosing it.

First of all, Jean was particularly happy that "this method will give you a much lighter and thinner coating," but that would be counter to why my doctor friend likes and wants corn dogs in the first place.

Secondly, unlike every other recipe I've seen, Jean's BOILS (??!) the hot dogs before putting them into the batter and deep frying them. I know this friend and I know his helper and they would NEVER make these if they had that extra step (and time).

Finally, Jean's recipe (along with many others) use cornmeal. That kind of regular cornmeal is rare in the local stores, so I need a recipe that can use ingredients that ARE available. That leaves me with Jiffy mix, masarepa (cornmeal for arepas) and masa harina (cornmeal for tortillas). Jiffy's website DOES have a corn dog recipe, but (again - I know these people) it would be a lot easier to use masa harina, since they already have (and regularly purchase) that. Jiffy and masarepa are not things they would normally have. Just in case, I did ask him (saying that the Jiffy would probably give the best results closest to what he expects), but he decided to go with the masa harina so there would be as little confusion as possible.

Since I'll have to translate the recipe into Spanish, anyway, I'll be doing a test run of THIS recipe, using regular milk, instead of buttermilk.

I do already have some Jiffy, just in case.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: What's for dinner Sat. 7/21/2012?? by luvnit (Since Jean is away I...)
Filets en croute with Bearnaise sauce, potato for him, sweet potato for me, and salads with blue cheese dressing. And some pretty awesome Carrot Cake for dessert from the farm stand.

ETA: And the Bloody Mary Tomato Gratin on the side for me!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: What's for dinner Sat. 7/21/2012?? by BarbaraS (Filets en croute wit...)
Labs, I was going to share the recipe Mario made on the chew a few weeks back, but it uses cornmeal, too. I thought it was cool how he used Italian sausage. YUM!
Daphne
  Re: Re: What's for dinner Sat. 7/21/2012?? by Gourmet_Mom (Labs, I was going to...)
Quote:

Labs, I was going to share the recipe Mario made on the chew a few weeks back, but it uses cornmeal, too.

Thanks, Daphne. I see it on the show's website. Let's see how my test batch with the masa turns out.
Quote:

I thought it was cool how he used Italian sausage. YUM!

Actually, as I was planning this, I was thinking I'd probably like it a lot more if I used kielbasa, instead of hot dogs. LOL!
  Re: Re: What's for dinner Sat. 7/21/2012?? by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Corn dogs are one of my favorite guilty pleasures. Have fun Labs!

We're going out tonight...not sure where, but I'm not in the mood to cook...
  Re: Re: What's for dinner Sat. 7/21/2012?? by karyn (Corn dogs are one of...)
Well, as I said earlier, corndogs have never been my favourites, but these are delicious. The recipe I tried with the masa worked with only one minor problem: at the 365F suggested by the recipe, the batter was getting too dark before the hot dog was up to temperature. When I took it back down to 350F, it was perfect.

Of course, I wouldn't be me if I didn't try something crazy during this test, so I'm proud to say that my "cornana" (corn-battered banana) worked out quite well.
  Re: Re: What's for dinner Sat. 7/21/2012?? by labradors (Well, as I said earl...)
Glad your experiment worked out, Labs!
Daphne