Hanger steak
  Re: (...)
Curious to know if any of you have used this cut. If so, how did you prepare?

I saw this cut for the first time in the market last week and picked one up.....I will hold my opinion until I hear yours. I was not overly impressed....maybe I just did not prepare properly. I googled and have a great deal of info but....
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Hanger steak by Roxanne 21 (Curious to know if a...)
Roxanne, this cut can be a little devil, but to me tasty like a flank!! This is the way I slice mine - Working from both sides and using a sharp knife, slice the steaks against the grain until you reach the strip of gristle in the center. Discard the gristle.

I put a dry rub or marinate overnight with just simple flavors, garlic/rosemary/lemon juice. Salt & pepper.

You can also remove the membrane, if your piece is large enough and cook smaller pieces. That's too bad that you weren't impressed.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Hanger steak by cjs (Roxanne, this cut ca...)
Exactly, Jean. I treat it just like a flank. Slice across the grain and serve medium rare.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Hanger steak by Old Bay (Exactly, Jean. I tre...)
No flank here---maybe the marinating will do the trick. So excuse my ignorance---you slice BEFORE you cook? The center gristle part was removed before cooking but I did them whole....they really looked great with all of the marbling but......back to the drawing board. DH is the ultimate carnivore and I just know he will think this is much better than my first attempt. THANKS for the input!
  Re: Re: Hanger steak by Roxanne 21 (No flank here---mayb...)
"you slice BEFORE you cook?" Only if your steak is large enough to enable you to end up with nice pieces after removing the gristle.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Hanger steak by cjs ("you slice BEFORE yo...)
and mine certainly was...quite large, in fact....hmmmm