Canning Spaghetti Sauce today!
  Re: (...)
Gallons of beautiful, vine-ripened tomato puree await me this morning. Been up for 2 hours already. Ran to the store for some supplies. I will make several batches of spaghetti sauce. Sterilizing the jars now in the dishwasher while having some coffee and waiting for my cinnamon rolls to get out of the oven.

I will not use my MIL recipe this year. For various reasons, I have decided to make my own basic sauce.

Once this project is done, I plan to make some Mozzarella cheese! I love making that stuff. And some ricotta and whey bread from the proceedsSmile
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Canning Spaghetti Sauce today! by luvnit (Gallons of beautiful...)
Busy, busy day at your house, Laura and at the end of it, it is a feeling of such accomplishment.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Canning Spaghetti Sauce today! by cjs (Busy, busy day at yo...)
I know! There is nothing more satisfying than seeing all those sealed jars on the counter, in a nice row.

And listening the seals pop shut!
Laura
  Re: Re: Canning Spaghetti Sauce today! by luvnit (I know! There is not...)
Lucky you! I love the sound of the lids popping. Are the tomatoes from your garden? I bought lots of local tomatoes yesterday. I'm cooking them down to make pizza sauce for Friday night.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Canning Spaghetti Sauce today! by Lorraine (Lucky you! I love t...)
Yes, these are from our garden. Sure smells good around hereSmile
Laura
  Re: Re: Canning Spaghetti Sauce today! by luvnit (Yes, these are from ...)
I was thinking of your kitchen when I took my ginger cookies out of the oven - smells wonderful around here, also!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Canning Spaghetti Sauce today! by cjs (I was thinking of yo...)
Saw your pix on FB, Laura. Nice job! I'm sure your sauce is going to be amazing.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Canning Spaghetti Sauce today! by Mare749 (Saw your pix on FB, ...)
I saw them, too! That is an awesome accomplishment! Well done, Laura!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Canning Spaghetti Sauce today! by Gourmet_Mom (I saw them, too! Th...)
Awww. Thank you. I ended up with 44 jars of sauce, a lot of them pints though. It was about 7 gallons of vine-ripened garden tomato puree. I made 3 different sauces - very similar,but I am trying to decide which basic sauce we will like best. I made notes on all batches so I can recapture if necessarySmile

Nothing better than an entire stock of items you canned yourself.
Laura
  Re: Re: Canning Spaghetti Sauce today! by luvnit (Awww. Thank you. I e...)
Laura, that's about what I wound up with. It's amazing to have a quick and easy solution for dinner on those crazy nights to come. Something else I'm planning this year is to stop worrying about cooking too big, but to do it deliberately. If need be, I will double the recipe or components of it, if it is something I can freeze. Examples are the Chicken Picatta, minus the pasta and the French Onion Soup Salisbury Steak, minus the bread....etc.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.