Chicken Deals
  Re: (...)
Is anyone else getting great deals on chicken parts? I've been wanting to make and freeze stock for upcoming events. Today, I hit the motherlode (most still had 3 days before best buy date)! Backs, necks, wings, 4 lbs for under $2.00. 2 lbs of chicken feet for $1.10. Family packs of legs for $2.50. I bought all the packages they had. Also, split pigs feet (probably 12 pieces per pack) for under $2.00. 3everything is simmering away on the stove, and the kitchen smells great.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Chicken Deals by Lorraine (Is anyone else getti...)
Nothing like that! I thought I was doing good with chicken thighs (skin on, bone in) for $1.99/lb.
  Re: Re: Chicken Deals by Trixxee (Nothing like that! ...)
No, not yet, but I'm going to keep my eyes open next time I'm in the grocery store.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Chicken Deals by Mare749 (No, not yet, but I'm...)
That's a good deal, Lorraine. Do you include the pigs feet in the chicken stock or make separate? My daddy's Brunswick stew is made with pigs feet. The one time I made it without them, the thickness of the stew wasn't the same.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Chicken Deals by Gourmet_Mom (That's a good deal, ...)
Wow, nothing like that here, darn it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Chicken Deals by cjs (Wow, nothing like th...)
Quote:

chicken thighs (skin on, bone in) for $1.99/lb

I got them for 99 cents last week. We eat a lot of chicken. Daphne, I made two huge pots of stock, and did the the feet to one of them.
  Re: Re: Chicken Deals by Lorraine ( [blockquote]Quote:[...)
If you have never done this, you will notice a difference in the thickness (?) of the sauce.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Chicken Deals by Gourmet_Mom (If you have never do...)
This idea ought to go in the new thread, Daphne.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Chicken Deals by cjs (This idea ought to g...)
We are rarely without piggy parts in the freezer. Between them and the chicken feet, the consistency of the stock is great.
  Re: Re: Chicken Deals by cjs (This idea ought to g...)
Should we wait to see what Lorraine thinks? Based on my experience, she should, but mine were with a stew, not plain stock. With the Brunswick Stew, I learned that without the pig's feet, it was missing the thickness I was familiar with when Daddy taught me how to make it.

Did you ever try that one? We plan to make a big batch in the "new" old cast iron "cauldron" William finally talked Mom into letting him take from my granddaddy's farm. It's the one they used to render the fat and make chitlins when they were still killing their own hogs. You would flip out! I think he posted a pic on his Facebook. I'll go share it on my page. He is so proud of that thing...LOL!
Daphne