Cooking - New Gadgets, Hints, Ideas, Etc.
  Re: (...)
So, what's new in the cooking world that we should all know about???
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Cooking - New Gadgets, Hints, Ideas, Etc. by cjs (So, what's new in th...)
I know we already had a long discussion about this, but I'm going to put my new Mango Splitter on the latest/favorite gadget list! We've been enjoying mangos all summer and haven't destroyed a one since we got it.
Found here if you're interested: http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Man...=mango+splitter
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Cooking - New Gadgets, Hints, Ideas, Etc. by farnfam (I know we already ha...)
I can't wait to hear what's new. I'm so behind, my last two gadgets were finally replacing my old tongs with the kind with silicone (?) coated tips and my "you get what you pay for" immersion blender with all the attachments.

Although, I need to go to the PO today. My new Lodge Cast Iron Pizza Griddle should be delivered today!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Cooking - New Gadgets, Hints, Ideas, Etc. by Gourmet_Mom (I can't wait to hear...)
It would be fun to play with an Anti-Griddle a bit - or, at least, a homemade version.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Cooking - New Gadgets, Hints, Ideas, Etc. by Gourmet_Mom (I can't wait to hear...)
Quote:

I can't wait to hear what's new. I'm so behind, my last two gadgets were finally replacing my old tongs with the kind with silicone (?) coated tips and my "you get what you pay for" immersion blender with all the attachments.

Although, I need to go to the PO today. My new Lodge Cast Iron Pizza Griddle should be delivered today!

OK, don't laugh. I finally bought an apple corer about a month ago. Wow! Does that thing really work or what?
  Re: Re: Cooking - New Gadgets, Hints, Ideas, Etc. by losblanos1 ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I want to think I've used that for things other than apples, but for the life of me, I can't remember. Maybe somebody else will remember. One thing I do know, the thing can be hazerdous to fingers. Beware where you store it...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Cooking - New Gadgets, Hints, Ideas, Etc. by Gourmet_Mom (I want to think I've...)
When I got my pineapple corer, I also got an apple one. Both really do work, though I don't use the apple one unless I am doing more than one apple.

I have a couple of items that work better than I expected:

The Microplane four sided grater. I used to dread shredding. Always ended up with a hard to clean grater and scraped fingers. Had to grate an onion the other day and was done in seconds. Does a fantastic job with softer cheeses as well. And the removable side makes cleaning a breeze. Highly recommend it.

Tovolo silicone spoon. It works so well and cleans easily, red so great for tomato stuff. I use it more than all my other silicone and wooden spoons.

OXO Y peeler. I use that more than my 2 other ones. It works so well and so fast. Next is the serrated one. A hint to save fingers, when I take any of the OXO peelers out to use, I immediately put the plastic cover back in the drawer. That way it does not get lost and I can put it back on the peeler as it goes back in the drawer.

Lastly, the RSVP Precision Pierced Stainless-Steel 5-Quart Colander. It is so worth the price. DD had to convince me to get it, but oh was she right. Every time I use, I am so happy. I can perch in on top of a large Pyrex cup and save my pasta water. Easy to clean as well. My newest gadget is the Progressive mini and it's been great for a couple of servings of berries.

If you like gadgets, remember that Amazon puts a lot of their kitchen gadgets in the buy 3 get the 4th free category. I put "I want, but I shouldn't items" on the save for later cart and wait until I have 3. You can also mix and match with some paperbacks as well. So I seldom pay full price.

Also, with the holidays coming soon, I am going to recommend Amazon prime. It does cost, but if you have to send gifts, or like to get the best price, it is a great deal. Once you pay for the year, 99% of the stuff that is sold by Amazon will ***** 2 days free to any address. We just bought a toilet, the rings to install it and replaced our 1975 Nutone bathroom fan and everything was here in 2 days no shipping cost. It works great for gadgets because if you buy a $5.99 mini colander, you still get it free in 2 days (sometimes one).
  Re: Re: Cooking - New Gadgets, Hints, Ideas, Etc. by losblanos1 ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Quote:

OK, don't laugh. I finally bought an apple corer about a month ago. Wow! Does that thing really work or what?

Just don't tell the people with Macs.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Cooking - New Gadgets, Hints, Ideas, Etc. by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Here's a hint that was posted in the Cookaholics bb today. You don't need the audio unless you speak Japanese, but the video is self-explanatory. Enjoy!
Separating Eggs
  Re: Re: Cooking - New Gadgets, Hints, Ideas, Etc. by Cubangirl (Here's a hint that w...)
Wow, Alina, that was so cool
Cis
Empress for Life