Lemon Mini-Muffins Issue 72
  Re: (...)
I made these yesterday as a tribute to Spring as it is here in Australia now. They were a hit at the party but mine were done way before the the 20 minutes and I got 24 mini muffins as apposed to the 12 the article stated. Has anyone had any experience with these? I thought they could be a bit moister. I tried searching the forums without success.
  Re: Lemon Mini-Muffins Issue 72 by PatriciaD (I made these yesterd...)
Although I love anything lemon, I don't think I've made these. welcome back, Patricia - been a while! How are you doing?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Lemon Mini-Muffins Issue 72 by PatriciaD (I made these yesterd...)
Are these the ones to which you are referring? LEMON MINI-MUFFINS WITH LIME SCENTED SUGAR. They are from 12/2008. I made this because I love lemon as well. I have that they make 6 large or 12 minis, but maybe I cut the recipe in half (I used 1.25 cups of flour for the batch I made.) I have these comments on the recipe: These are easy to make and the mini food processor works well. I would use only one lemon and try to cut some of the white out to avoid bitterness. For the lime, a small one or half of a regular one is sufficient. Made a mistake and added too much whole lemon, so there was too much liquid and they were bitter.

After I made these and was disappointed, I made these, not lemon, but oh were they good. Even half the recipe made a lot for just the two of us. They kept well for a few days. I was going to freeze some but we just kept eating them. You could probably sub lemon sugar for the cinnamon and add lemon oil to the batter to make them lemony.

EXPORTED FROM LIVING COOKBOOK

DOUGHNUT MUFFINS***** These are excellent. Easy to make and they keep well. The cinnamon filling was unnecessary, but would be good with other fillings and no topping.

Make the batter the night before. It will keep, covered and chilled, for up to three days in the refrigerator. Better as mini-muffins. This is the halved version. Original called for whole milk, cream and 1% subbed in this recipe.

Servings: 20 Yield: 60 mini muffins, 12 large

Oven Temperature: 350°F

FOR THE MUFFINS:
6 oz unsalted butter (12 TBS.) warmed to room temperature
3/4 cup sugar (14 TBS)
2 large eggs
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. Fiori di Sicilia
13½ oz all-purpose flour (3 cups)
2½ tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
7/8 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
11 TBS. 1% milk
2½ tsps. heavy cream
2 TBS. buttermilk
OPTIONAL FILLING;
3 TBS. Splenda
1 TBS. flour
1 TBS. melted butter
1½ tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. water
FOR DIPPING:
1/4 lb unsalted butter (8 TBS.)
1 cup Splenda
1 TBS. ground cinnamon

MAKE THE MUFFINS:

Put a rack in the middle of the oven and heat the oven to 350°F. Grease mini muffins tins, you'll need 5, or a standard-size muffin tin or line with paper liners.

In a stand mixer or a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until just mixed in. Add vanilla. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg. Combine the milk and buttermilk. With a wooden spoon, mix a quarter of the dry ingredients into the butter mixture. Then mix in a third of the milk mixture. Continue mixing in the remaining dry and wet ingredients alternately, ending with the dry. Mix until well combined and smooth, but don't overmix.

Use a small disher (#70) and fill mini muffin cups full. Scoop enough batter into each tin so that the top of the batter is even with the rim of the cup, about ½ cup, #16 disher, for the regular muffins. Bake the muffins until firm to the touch, 30 (minis) to 35 minutes.

OPTIONAL FILLING:

Put half the batter in the pan, add some filling and top with remaining batter. Use about ¼ tsp. for mini muffins.

FINISH:

Melt the butter, then combine with the sugar and cinnamon. When the muffins are just cool enough to handle, remove them from the tin, dip them into the mixture. They can also be brushed all over with the melted butter, and then rolled in the cinnamon-sugar mixture.

Preparation Time: 25 minutes Cooking Time: 35 minutes Total Time: 1 hour

Recipe Type: ALINA'S ADAPTATION, Breakfast and Brunch Foods, Desserts, Fine Cooking, Make-Ahead, Muffins

Source: Fine Cooking 2/2010, 42 pages 54-55
Web Page: http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/dough...ffins.aspx

PS, I have a killer Lemon Bundt Cake recipe if you are interested.
  Re: Re: Lemon Mini-Muffins Issue 72 by Cubangirl (Are these the ones t...)
Thanks Jean - I just realised how long it has been since I last posted. Haven't been doing much cooking lately as my husband and I are living in different states. Lots of time on planes and eating out at terrific resturants in Sydney.
Thanks for the recipe Cubangirl- I have made the Fine Cooking version but I like the look of your adaptations. I would love you killer Bundt Cake recipe if your willing to share.
As for the mini-muffins I heard from a food blogger that she added more yoghurt to the batter and they turned out much better. I just loved the look of them - tiny bites of lemon sunshine with lime-scented sugar. Everyone here is looking forward to a bit of nice Spring weather.
  Re: Re: Lemon Mini-Muffins Issue 72 by PatriciaD (Thanks Jean - I just...)
Here's my Lemon Bundt Cake, it is an adaptation of several recipes. I listed the main ones. Sorry about the size of the picture, I tried to make it smaller, but it did not work.

LEMON BUNDT CAKE*****

Excellent with black berry sauce or a serving of Fruit Salad with Limoncello and Lemon Curd/Yogurt.. You will need between five and six TBS. of lemon juice for this recipe. Because the amount of juice can vary from lemon to lemon, we suggest you first measure the juice from the three lemons you have zested, then juice a fourth lemon if necessary. Serve this cake as is or dress it up with lightly sweetened berries. The cake has a light, fluffy texture when eaten the day it is baked, but if well wrapped and held at room temperature overnight its texture becomes more dense -- like that of pound cake -- the following day. I did poke holes in mine ala tres leches cake and added the syrup slowly. I also added a full ¼ tsp. Boyajian oil without taking out any of the juice or zest. Our was very lemony. I should add that my lemons were huge from Costco, got enough juice with just 2, but went ahead and used all 3. I probably had a bit more lemon in my glaze and less sugar as I hate overly sweet icings. I also did some of the icing while the cake was still warm and some after it had cooled for 10 and 60. I didn't want to waste any, so I placed the rack on top of the serving plate and scraped the icing (did the same for the syrup) off the sheet pan and poured it again over the cake. Did this several times. The last time I left what was on the dish and placed the cake on it, so it had a bit of it on the bottom as well. I always tend to measure flavorings generously and sugars scant.[Image: BeautifulLemonCake4-1.jpg]

Yield: Serves 12 to 14

Oven Temperature: 350°F

3 lemons , zest grated
3 TBS. juice from the 3 zested + another if needed (see note above)
3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (15 ounces)
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. table salt
Boyajian oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
¾ cup low-fat buttermilk (preferably)
3 large eggs , at room temperature
1 large egg yolk , at room temperature
18 TBS. unsalted butter (2 ¼ sticks), at room temperature
2 cups sugar (14 ounces)
LEMON SYRUP INA
LEMON GLAZE INA

FOR THE CAKE: Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position; heat oven to 350° F. Spray 12-cup Bundt pan with nonstick baking spray with flour (alternatively, brush pan with mixture of 1 TBS. flour and 1 TBS. melted butter). Mince lemon zest to fine paste (you should have about 2 TBS.). Combine zest and lemon juice in small bowl; set aside to soften, 10 to 15 minutes.

Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in large bowl. Combine lemon juice mixture, vanilla, and buttermilk in medium bowl. In small bowl, gently whisk eggs and yolk to combine. In standing mixer fitted with flat beater, cream butter and sugar at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes; scrape down sides of bowl with rubber spatula. Reduce to medium speed and add half of eggs, mixing until incorporated, about 15 seconds. Repeat with remaining eggs; scrape down bowl again. Reduce to low speed; add about one-third of flour mixture, followed by half of buttermilk mixture, mixing until just incorporated after each addition (about 5 seconds). Repeat using half of remaining flour mixture and all of remaining buttermilk mixture. Scrape bowl and add remaining flour mixture; mix at medium-low speed until batter is thoroughly combined, about 15 seconds. Remove bowl from mixer and fold batter once or twice with rubber spatula to incorporate any remaining flour. Scrape into prepared pan.

Bake until top is golden brown and wooden skewer or toothpick inserted into center comes out with no crumbs attached, 45 to 50 minutes.

Cool cake in pan on wire rack set over baking sheet for 10 minutes, then invert cake directly onto rack. Pour half of glaze over warm cake and let cool for 1 hour; pour remaining glaze evenly over top of cake and continue to cool to room temperature, at least 2 hours. Cut into slices and serve.

Preparation:15 min. Cooking: 50 min.
Inactive: 3 hours and 10 min. Total: 4 hours and 15 minutes

Recipe Type: Alina's Adaptation, Cakes, Cooks Illustrated, Desserts, Lemon

Author: Alina
Source: COOK'S ILLUSTRATED January 1, 2006.
Web Page: http://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/...docid=7440

LEMON SYRUP INA

½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup lemon juice
¼ tsp. Boyajian oil

Combine ½ cup granulated sugar with ½ c lemon juice in a small saucepan and cook over low heat until the sugar dissolves and makes a syrup. When the cakes are done, let them cool for 10 minutes, then invert them onto a rack set over a tray, and spoon the lemon syrup over the cakes. Allow the cakes to cool completely.

Preparation Time: 15 minutes Total Time: 15 minutes

Recipe Type: Desserts, Frosting and Icings, Ina Garten, Lemon

Author: Ina Garten
Source: Barefoot Contessa Parties Clarkson Potter, 2001
Web Page: http://www.leitesculinaria.com/recipes/c..._cake.html

LEMON GLAZE INA

8 oz. confectioners' sugar (2 cups)
3 ½ TBS. freshly squeezed lemon juice
¼ tsp. Boyajian oil

For the glaze, combine the confectioners' sugar and lemon juice in a bowl, mixing with a wire whisk until smooth. Pour over the top of the cakes and allow the glaze to drizzle down the sides.

Recipe Type: Desserts, Frosting and Icings, Ina Garten, Lemon

Author: Ina Garten
Source: Barefoot Contessa Parties Clarkson Potter, 2001
Web Page: http://www.leitesculinaria.com/recipes/c..._cake.html
  Re: Re: Lemon Mini-Muffins Issue 72 by Cubangirl (Here's my Lemon Bund...)
And there is an AWESOME Lemon-Pepper cake that Billy contributed a LONG time ago---I tried the search but was not able to find

This recipe sounds really weird but is really good...I will try to find my copy and will post if any one is interested.

LEMON---any lemon recipe is one that I will make...

I am going to Issue 72 and do those mini muffins in the next couple of days, sometime. How did I miss those???
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Lemon Mini-Muffins Issue 72 by Roxanne 21 (And there is an AWES...)
Roxanne and Patricia - here's the link to the great thread when Billy J introduced us all to White Pepper and Ginger Lemon Cake!!

http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbt...part=2&vc=1

I also bumped the thread up!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Lemon Mini-Muffins Issue 72 by cjs (Roxanne and Patricia...)
Roxanne the food blogger suggested using a 1/2 cup of yoghurt instead of 1/4 cup in the original recipe.

Thanks everyone for the terrific recipes. Pepper and lemon - two of my favourites. My co-workers will love me next week.
  Re: Re: Lemon Mini-Muffins Issue 72 by PatriciaD (Roxanne the food blo...)
Don't be a stranger - and, we'll certainly continue to feel sorry for you and having to eat a great restaurants.....sigh.
www.achefsjourney.com