What's for dinner Thurs., 11/8/2012?
  Re: (...)
I thought I would start this, Jean is probably busy busy.

Today and tomorrow I am cleaning my kitchen from top to bottom. I have 37? drawers and 4 cupboards to go through. It's time to declutter, vacuum, and wipe clean the insides and outsides of everything. And clean my range and hood vent. So I need something EASY.

I am going to make my MIL's recipe for chow mein. It is certainly not authentic or traditional in any way. But it is really good and a crowd pleaser. Above all, easy. That's the plan anyway

What are you all making on this grand day?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: What's for dinner Thurs., 11/8/2012? by luvnit (I thought I would st...)
Leftovers - thanks Laura.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for dinner Thurs., 11/8/2012? by cjs (Leftovers - thanks L...)
Leftovers here too. I have a bit of this and that so making giant stuff baked potatoes
  Re: Re: What's for dinner Thurs., 11/8/2012? by DFen911 (Leftovers here too. ...)
We're having BBQ-Glazed Meatloaf from Cuisine Tonight for Two, only I'm doubling the recipe this time. Ron just loved it, so need extra for sandwiches. Will make mashed potatoes and green beans to go with.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What's for dinner Thurs., 11/8/2012? by Mare749 (We're having BBQ-Gla...)
I'm not sure. Tony has been gone all week but yet I've cooked every night. I might pick up a blackened chicken burrito here in a bit and eat half of it for lunch and half of it for dinner. I'm taking a break!
  Re: Re: What's for dinner Thurs., 11/8/2012? by Trixxee (I'm not sure. Tony ...)
What's in the chow mein recipe, Laura? I have no idea what to make an easy sounds good
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: What's for dinner Thurs., 11/8/2012? by farnfam (What's in the chow m...)
Here is my MIL's recipe. I think she said that this is the only recipe she ever made up herself (I find that hard to believe), but it is easy and good.

Marilyn’s Chow Mein

2 T. oil
1 to 1 ½ lb chow mein meat (coarse ground pork and beef)
1 onion, cut into slices
15 oz. can chow mein vegetables, drained
4.5 oz. can mushrooms, drained
8-10 stalks celery, cut into 1” chunks
1 can chicken broth
Salt and pepper to taste
Browning sauce
1/3 cup water and cornstarch to make a thin paste
Chow mein noodles
Cooked white rice

Brown meat with salt and pepper in 2 T. oil. Add onion and cook for 2 minutes. Add chicken broth, chow mein vegetables, mushrooms and celery. Cover and simmer until celery is tender. Add brown sauce to broth (enough to color). Then and cornstarch and water slowly until desired thickness.

Serve with chow mein noodles and white rice. We like basmati.
Laura
  Re: Re: What's for dinner Thurs., 11/8/2012? by farnfam (What's in the chow m...)
Today is my wifes birthday and I want to make her something special. I sent her an email with these choices...

1. Filet & Lobster Skewer with Tomato-butter sauce
2. Salmon with Pernod-Spinach sauce
3. NY Steaks with mushroom sauce
(All with asparagus and a baked potato slice)

I think she'll pick the salmon.
  Re: Re: What's for dinner Thurs., 11/8/2012? by losblanos1 (Today is my wifes bi...)
Happy Birthday, Mrs. Blane!! What is it with all these November B'days????????????????

Laura, sounds like the way I made Chow Mein in the 50s & 60s
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for dinner Thurs., 11/8/2012? by cjs (Happy Birthday, Mrs....)
Jean that is probably when she first made it and never ever changed it. I have made the recipe with fresh veggies and mushrooms, and thinly sliced chicken. Oh even better!
Laura