? about enchilada filling
  Re: (...)
Friends are coming to dinner on Saturday and I'm making enchiladas with an awesome mole sauce (that I bought at an equally awesome Mexican restaurant). One filling, ground turkey with onions and poblano peppers, is done (will add cheese when filling the tortillas). But the other, for my vegetarian friend, is stumping me a bit.

I am planning on a spinach & cheese filling (with garlic), but wonder if I should add something to make it more exciting. The problem with my decision on what to add (or if I should add something else at all) is that the mole sauce is so delicious, I don't want to have too many tastes going on at once.

What are your thoughts? Should I leave the filling be, or would an addition perk it up?
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: ? about enchilada filling by foodfiend (Friends are coming t...)
Vicci, I have to say, it all sounds just perfect to me. Don't think I would change a thing. Both fillings sound delicious. What will you have for beverages and dessert?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
You might want to add mushrooms to get a bit more meaty texture to the filling. I wish you had the recipe for the awesome mole sauce. I've been looking for that recipe for years and years!
A combination of Rice and TVP crumbles would probably work nicely.

Also, remember to check whether the mole may happen to have any chicken stock, etc., just in case.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: ? about enchilada filling by labradors (A combination of Ric...)
I like the rice idea very much.
  Re: Re: ? about enchilada filling by Trixxee (I like the rice idea...)
I was thinking that the spinach and cheese would give it no texture. So rice and mushrooms are a great idea, otherwise I'd do something like zucchini, bell pepper and onions, so you have more texture without adding a lot of competing flavors. I do the zucchini and mushroom thing to convert my regular lasagna to meatless.
  Re: Re: ? about enchilada filling by Trixxee (I like the rice idea...)
Is your friend vegan or vegetarian? Mushrooms or potatoes are common in enchiladas. As Labs suggested, check the ingredients on the mole sauce. Can you use shrimp? I would do the turkey mole and perhaps an verde enchilada with another ingredient?
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
I agree with Karyn, they both sound really great! If you wanted something else, I think the mushroom suggestion could be viable.

Your mole sounds devine! Do they just sell it outright? Or did you ask them a favor?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: ? about enchilada filling by luvnit (I agree with Karyn, ...)
my 2 cents - I'd add hominy to the veggie one.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: ? about enchilada filling by cjs (my 2 cents - I'd add...)
Hominy would be a great idea.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?