Random Thoughts and Questions
  Re: (...)
So in preparation for my SIL's birthday dinner I've started to bake a variety of cookies, most new recipes. Last week I made Oatmeal, Golden Raisin and Milk Chocolate and Thin Crispy Chewy Chocolate Chip both from Kate Zuckerman, and both excellent, particularly the latter. On a whim, I decided to sub part of the AP flour in the Oatmeal ones with coconut flour. I was very pleased with the result. So now I want to try using garbanzo flour. Has anyone played with subbing flours (other than whole wheat). Trying to be a little healthier, but don't need gluten-free. Also has anyone made and/or used date syrup in place of some of the sugar?
I am going to be making Ina's Double Chocolate Almond Cookies and my old fave Apricots and Cream Cookies next.

Earlier today, I was trying to find both a shrimp and a cucumber prep recipe (i.e., ingredients for marinating shrimp that I will use in a salad and salting cucumbers before using in salad). Those of you that have cooking software, do you have section/chapter/recipe type for prep recipes? It took me a while to find the recipe that had the part that I needed (yes, probably have way too many recipes). I have some of this type of info in my Techniques section, but these are really part one of a recipe. There is probably a better name, but...
So my thought was that as I came across the next one (e.g. zucchini and tomatoes come to mind), I'd make a copy of the "prep" part and put it in its own section. Do any of you do this, have a better way? Hope this makes sense.

TIA
  Re: Random Thoughts and Questions by Cubangirl (So in preparation fo...)
I have played with garbanzo flour and I still have some in the freezer at home. I just looked thru MasterCook and can't find a recipe that looks familiar, so can't remember what I did with it. Seems like it was some kind of bread sticks or fries (?) hmmmmm.

I have a 'book' in both MasterCook and Living Cookbook titled "Not Necessarily a Recipe" that I store all kinds of methods and such. In most of my cookbooks I also add a section usually titled "The Pantry" that I add sub-recipes (if you will) for prepping ingredients needed in recipes in the other parts of the books.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Random Thoughts and Questions by cjs (I have played with g...)
Thanks Jean. I have a chapter called homemade ingredients for things like making crème fraîche, homemade baking mixes, converting 1% milk to whole, etc.

The ones above are more techniques, as opposed to make ahead (e.g., cooked brown rice for salads), and I have them under techniques, but those don't transfer to the iPad app. Most of them are CI's way, though I use them in all recipes, so maybe I should have a chapter called CI's Way.
  Re: Re: Random Thoughts and Questions by Cubangirl (Thanks Jean. I have ...)
There you go, Alina.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com