Saturday's Dinner, 7/6/13??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for everyone today??

I was planning to make a soup from the smoked chicken and the stock I made from butchering 4 chickens the other day - BUT, darn PJ got Lobster rolls in my head with the N.E. Hot Dog rolls!! I think I'll make a smoked chicken salad for the rolls instead.....

Guess it will be hot dog rolls twice today, because I promised Roy his Buffalo hot dog, too.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Saturday's Dinner, 7/6/13?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
We made the buffalo hot dogs a few days ago and really liked them. They were a bit salty though. Will use less blue cheese next time.

Jean, have you successfully made stock from smoked chicken bones? I tried it once not that long ago and we didn't like it at all.

I made a meatloaf for sandwiches later.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 7/6/13?? by Mare749 (We made the buffalo ...)
I tried it once and it was really over the hill smokey!! No, I normally just use the backboone and necks of the chickens as I cut up for freezer.

Using smoked chicken bones is like using an oaked wine for a wine reduction!! Just taste oak trees!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 7/6/13?? by cjs (I tried it once and ...)
We did a turkey soup after Thanksgiving with a combo of the smoked & roasted turkey frames. It was a wonderful, spicy, turkey soup. But it was half & half.

Dinner tonight will be interesting, pulled pork dinner leftovers and Queen of Sheba Salad. I work the closing shift so I won't get to play like I'd like to.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 7/6/13?? by Harborwitch (We did a turkey soup...)
We are camping for one night and I don't want to haul a bunch of food with us so we are going out to BJ's Brewery, really close by the park. We're also going out to breakfast before we head home. The only thing we are bringing are drinks and snacks.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 7/6/13?? by Trixxee (We are camping for o...)
You know, Trixxee, we've never done that...it sounds so relaxing. We could go to Port Townsend and do that for a couple nights and I think I'd love it.

Have a great time!!

P.S. and think how many doggie bags I'd have to play with later!!!! I love this idea.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 7/6/13?? by cjs (You know, Trixxee, w...)
Have fun Trixxee! That sounds like a really relaxing way to camp.

We'e having sesame noodles for dinner. It's still raining in Atlanta!!!
It really is relaxing that way. We did that for the first time last fall when we used the kid's trailer for a couple of days while we visited wineries. It was so nice not to have any shopping, prep, cooking or clean-up in the trailer.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Have fun, Trixxee!

I was very undecided. I wanted to use things I have on hand so as not to be wasteful. So, we are having a Cucumber, Tomato and Red Onion Salad with a lemon basil vinaigrette and Grilled Flank Steak. All I needed was lemons. The basil, cucumber and tomatoes are straight from my lovely deck garden that my sweet husband created for me. The flank steak is from a freezer purchase a month ago. I am getting really good at planning from my deck, freezer and pantry. Nothing terribly inspiring, but simple summer food at it's best.

I do want to get back to baking. It has been so long, I forgot how simple it is. Whipped up some pizza dough this afternoon for tomorrow's dinner with BG! In and out of the kitchen in about 20 minutes. I'm back to it. Next week I'll be freezing pizza and bread dough....I can freeze the bread dough, too, right? It takes up much less space than the cooked product....something I don't have a lot of room for. Although, I guess I could cut the cooked into more manageable pieces to freeze. What do ya'll think?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 7/6/13?? by Gourmet_Mom (Have fun, Trixxee![b...)
Don't see why not - and just handle it like your pizza dough. Good. Idea -I may copy you in this.
www.achefsjourney.com