My B-Day Mystery Box to you :)
  Re: (...)
Ok so instead of all of us doing the same recipe let's have some mystery box fun.

Appetizer, main course and dessert if possible.

On my go, you may each lift your box to see what is inside..

Go...

Ah..before you, you see -

pork tenderloin, tiger prawns, avocado, mango, fresh corn, Mexican chocolate, dried padilla chiles, and dried chiles de arboles, fresh jalapeno and Fresno chiles, hot sauce, tomatillos, cotija cheese, crema de Mexicana (Mexican sour cream), onions (your choice as which kind), garlic and lime.

You have a limited pantry - flour, masa, eggs, salt and pepper of course, cilantro is not allowed (Muhahaha)

I was inspired by Master Chef episode so decided to use their ingredients for you. Now you do not need to use all of the ingredients mentioned.

If you don't like peppers/chiles - omit them, but no substitutions (hehehe). You must use one of the mentioned proteins.

Labs this box should be one right up your alley

Due Date - August 15th. You can do it anytime, just don't post results till the 15th
  Re: My B-Day Mystery Box to you :) by DFen911 (Ok so instead of all...)
Quote:

Labs this box should be one right up your alley

Hmmm... let's see...
  • pork tenderloin: Shall have to check my budget. Usually use the leg, for lower cost, but I think I know a butcher where I can get a decent deal.
  • tiger prawns: Not available.
  • avocado: Easy
  • mango: Easy
  • fresh corn: Easy
  • Mexican chocolate: Closest I can get is Guatemalan chocolate when I'm in Guatemala (after the deadline).
  • dried padilla chiles: If you mean PASILLA chiles (S, not D), then I already have them. Otherwise, I've never heard of "padilla" chiles.
  • dried chiles de arboles: Can get those in Guatemala (August 22-26).
  • fresh jalapeno: Very easy.
  • Fresno chiles: Not available.
  • hot sauce: Got it.
  • tomatillos: Usually available. Would have to check.
  • cotija cheese: Not available.
  • crema de Mexicana (Mexican sour cream): Only Crema HondureƱa - similar but a little different.
  • onions (your choice as which kind): Got 'em.
  • garlic: Got it.
  • lime: Got 'em.
Thus, my box contains: pork tenderloin, avocado, mango, fresh corn, dried pasilla chiles, fresh jalapeno, hot sauce, tomatillos, onions (your choice as which kind), garlic and lime.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: My B-Day Mystery Box to you :) by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I am going to pass on this one. Apart from the fact that neither DH nor I are particularly fond of Mexican food, besides carnitas (which needs fatty pork), DH had a Retinal Occlusion last night, so my next two weeks are full of trips to Redding (at least 90 min. each way) for hypobaric chamber treatment as well as a slew of other doctor's appointments.

As always, I look forward to see the creative recipes you all create.
  Re: Re: My B-Day Mystery Box to you :) by Cubangirl (I am going to pass o...)
Oh Alina I am so sorry to hear hubby!! Please do take care and be careful with the long drive and keep us posted!
  Re: Re: My B-Day Mystery Box to you :) by DFen911 (Oh Alina I am so sor...)
O.K., I'm up for the challenge and the brain is going full speed right now!!! Going to be fun!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: My B-Day Mystery Box to you :) by cjs (O.K., I'm up for the...)
Does this list, therefore, specifically EXclude other standard pantry staples, such as milk, oil, shortening, butter, etc.? Are other herbs and spices allowed, with cilantro being the only mandated exception?

I have a rather ambitious idea for this box, but these clarifications will help me to determine how to handle certain parts of my idea - or whether it's even going to be possible.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: My B-Day Mystery Box to you :) by labradors (Does this list, ther...)
The more I think on this - darn! NO CILANTRO!!!!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: My B-Day Mystery Box to you :) by cjs (The more I think on ...)
Labs, yes you may
  Re: Re: My B-Day Mystery Box to you :) by DFen911 (Labs, yes you may [i...)
Use other herbs than cilantro??????????????????
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: My B-Day Mystery Box to you :) by cjs (Use other herbs than...)
You cannot use Cilantro, it's a handicap But yes you can use other herbs. It's too hard to list out every item allowed and not allowed so figured I'd just throw a curve ball by omitting one